Respected Contributor

Re: Bre@st Reduction Surgery Gone Wrong!

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@RinaRina

I kept mentioning it to the surgeon, but there is really nothing they can do, short of surgery to take it out, but that is not an very good option.  

The radiologist told me it would go away OR I could have it removed.  Then he said, emphatically, "but you need to talk to your doctor".

That's when I knew things were scru'd up.

Do you know why they don't like to remove the necrosis?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@RinaRina- Also everyone, think twice about haveing these types of surgeries!!!

==============

I had the surgery done for medical reasons.  I had severe breast hypertrophy.  When I had the reduction, I probably dropped 40 lbs.!  Yes, it was that bad.  They were just too heavy for me to carry.  When my back and neck stopped hurting, I felt I'd done the right thing.

I went ahead with the procedure because I'd never heard of many major complications.  In fact, I'd never heard of "fat necrosis" until I got it.  Then I went on the plastic surgery site "RealSelf" and found out a little more about it. Most surgeons who discussed it on the site said it would go away over time.  Now, we know -- it doesn't.

After my app't this week, I'll report back what I found out.

Thanks for the feedback.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I haven't had it, but our youngest daughter did,when she was 21....We did a lot of research and talked to quite a few people, and ended up choosing an absolute excellent surgeon. She recovered super quick, and is very happy, she was able to breast feed both her daughters as well.....However my sister in law had it done, but she was in her late 40's, and she had all sorts of problems, and she said I wish I would have done it earlier........I am sorry for all of your agony, and I hope your visit to the 2nd surgeon brings you some relief and some answers........Good Luck! 

Respected Contributor

I went thru breast reconstruct last Nov. from breast cancer. I elected to go smaller on the breast that didnt have cancer (mastoplexy) and have NO IMPLANTS!!!

I still have purple scars that i call my Frankenstein boob-better than a uniboob. My PS bought into and understood exactly what I wanted from the beginning.

I went to this PS b/c he has a great reconstruction reputation. esp from my b/c surgeon, who is the only female b/c surgeon in this tricounty area.

I'm sorry this is happening to you and I appreciate the discomfort and frustration you are experiencing.

I would immediately look at a different PS practice who have a solid reputation in reconstruction. Ask your surgeon or PCP who they would send their mother or wife to.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I hope everything works out for you and the pain stops.  I am glad you chose another surgeon as the 1st one sounds like a jerk.

I've known this doctor for years (at least 12 years).

Many years ago, he did an amazing reconstructive surgery (body contouring) on me.  He went above and beyond what I expected.  So, when I decided to have the BR, I called him immediately and didn't hesitate.

Unfortunately, to my horror, I've read some BAD reviews about his most recent work.  The disgruntled patients were treated like I was ... their concerns were dismissed.  One woman got a bad rhinoplasty and the office staff told her that her expectations were unrealistic.  What's worse is, they did her nose over again twice, and then told her she was being unrealisitc.  SMH.

If said patient had to have 2 further rhinos then perhaps her expectations were unrealistic. Rhinos hurt!!!

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina- I think trying to surgically remove necrosis from the healthy tissue would be difficult and could disturb the integrity of the shape of the breast. 

It could also happen again with the corrective surgery, as necrosis is a surgery complication, not necessarily because of the ability of the surgeon. 

Another surgery, another scar, another possibility for necrosis happening again.