Trusted Contributor

I am considering having this service done to try to tame, my fine albeit curly frizzy hair.  I just cannot go through another humid summer fighting it!  

My main question is, is it possible my hair won't take a curl after having this process done?  Also, considering my hair is fine, will it be too flat?

Anyone who has experienced the process, please let me have your comments and replies.  Thank you in advance!

Honored Contributor

I've had the process done a dozen or more times since it was introduced.

Your hair will be straight for the most part, it could be flat for a few weeks.

I have thick unruly, coarse hair and I have been getting Keranique visofusion treatment on my hair at the salon for the last few months, the cost is 25-30 dollars, it lasts 6 shampoos and the results are soft unfrizzy hair

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I know eveyone's experience is different but I can tell you what mine was: a horror. I did it several years ago. I have very curly hair I blow out and flat iron and in the summer it gets curly and frizzy. The Brazilian Blowout straightened my hair alright, but it also burned my scalp and I had hair falling out for weeks. Even some very thinning patches in my temples that 3 years later still have not grown back as full. My scalp was burning red, I even got scabs.. Even a breeze blowing through my hair would hurt! It was the biggest mistake I ever made. Luckily, for the most part, my hair came back. I will never do a treatment like this again.And yes, I went to someone very experienced in the process! 

Now, I use all the Aveda Smooth line and it really does seem to help with humidity. Just go into it knowing things can happen. I am living proof of that. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Brazilian Blowout

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't recommed this process. It can be harsh and damage hair. A few years ago, the company was in the news because people found their product contained a chemical that turned into formaldehyde when heated. I think they've since reformulated, but I don't have a high level of trust in the company or their product.

I also have curly hair that gets frizzy in humidity and I know how frustrating it can be. Rather than a Brazillian Blowout, I recommend making sure your hair is properly moisturized (the first step to preventing frizz) and using products that will help control frizz. A weekly deep conditioning treatment and the right styling products make a huge difference. I look for gels that include PVP Copolymers and/or Polyquarterniums to prevent frizz. Some of my favorites are Curl Keeper (Original) by Curly Hair Solutions andOuidad's Climate Control Gel.

You may also want to look into the Curly Girl Method, which means using only sulfate-free shampoos or conditioning cleansers instead of shampoo and using only silicone-free products. All of the above things have made a huge difference in the health and quality of my hair, the curl I get, and much more manageable frizz.

You can read a lot more about it on NaturallyCurly.com or in the book Curly Girl: The Handbook, by Lorraine Massey.

Respected Contributor

@fitfuninformed I've never had it done, but here's something to consider before you make the choice.  It was explained to me that frizzies happen because non-virgin hair becomes porous over time.  When you enter a humid environment, your porous hair absorbs the moisture, thus causing the frizzies.  Supposedly, the way to prevent this is to already have that porous hair filled with something else so it can't absorb the moisture.

I also have very fine, processed hair, and I have to use lots of smoothing products and use a special tourmaline hair dryer with a comb attachment.  I do find that when I use less products, my hair gets frizzier.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have never had it done before, my hair gets frizzy with humidity but it is thinning and very fine..My niece however has very thick hair and she had it done in Chicago several years ago, and while she did like it, she did say her hair was flat and wouldn't hold a curl for a while. She also said that if your hair is long and you are going to wear it in a bun or a ponytail all summer, this is a perfect treatment, if done correctly....

She was very nervous because she had heard all of the horror stories... Lucky for her, her experience wasn't bad. I do not believe she has ever done it again though.....

Esteemed Contributor

I have frizzy, curly/wavy hair. I used to have the Keratin treatment done in the early part of June and it lasted a good 4 months. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all the replies thus far...I am told this is a better alternative to keratin so I'm just doing my research - and input from each of you really helps with that!

Respected Contributor

Re: Brazilian Blowout

[ Edited ]

I do this in the summer months because my hair is so coarse, wavy and thick. It just helps to keep it more sleek in the humid months. However, I do find that my hair is a little more flat on top when I have this done. You may want to talk this over with your stylist as she may do a lighter application on the top of your hair. Not sure what my stylist uses but is not harsh as some of the other products on the market.

Respected Contributor

I used to do the treatment every May. My hair is fine, colored treated, and wavy. This time of year I have lots of frizz. The colorist told me not to do it anymore. In her opinion, it is not good for your hair. While my hair did not frizz in the summer, by September it was a mess. This happened every year. I found using Hot Tresses shampoo, conditioner, Rehab Leave-in and Nick Chavez Amazon Hair Body Building Spray eliminated 99% of the frizz , and gives my hair lots of body.