Regular Contributor

Botox-question for those who do the injections

I just turned 53 and went for a consultation  for botox.  I told the lady that I am concerned about the lines on my forehead, that there is one line in themiddle of my forehead I have literally had since I was very young but now I am getting lines on the sides and was interested in getting those taken care of.  She asked me to frown and I did for her.  She then tells me that her plan was to inject the frown line area-but I don't have any frown lines I told her. She explained that she has been doing this for 12 years and the injections there would open up my eye area, etc.....and that she knows what she is doing. And then she gave me a price and it was $350 and said it is best to keep coming every 3 months or so as it is a cumulative effect.  

I opted not to go thru with it-first off I did have botox over 5 years ago one time and they injected my forehead and the cost of it was under $150.  And on top of that I really did not see any difference however I did not have the lines on the sides then.  Secondly I was confused about why she wanted to inject in my frown lines when I honestly don't have any-lucky I know but I don't have them.

My question is for those who know-is that right that she would inject in that area of my frown lines to take care of any forehead lines??  Also it only lasts for 3 months??  I thought it was more like 5-6 months?

Thanks for any information.

Honored Contributor

Re: Botox-question for those who do the injections

She asked you to frown..........so she knows which muscle to hit.

The price is "right"...........more or less, depending where you live.

YES............it only lasts 90 days.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

I don't get injections myself. It's my understanding there is a sweet spot with botox relating to time it lasts. In the beginning it can be too much (no movement) then it's perfect for a short while, then it is wearing off and isn't doing much. This is based on a friend's experience. Can't speak to where they would inject. I am pretty sure she only did brow area. She didn't feel like it was that great- for the price/pain/time effective. Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

Over the last year and a half, I have gotten Botox for the "11's" between my brow.  Since they were extremely deep, it has lessened somewhat over time.  Every 3 months, $235.  

The nurse who does the injections ( slight pinching feeling ) does ask me to frown:  it helps her locate the right spots for injection.

At one point I considered getting filler there as well; however, it would have cost $500 and would have to be done each time I got the Botox.  No way for that expense.  Now when I use concealer when starting my makeup, I just place some in the creases and smooth over.  It works.

i tried other " filler " stuff but returned them: just didn't work.  Dr. Sevinor ( HSN ) worked the best of all the products....you just have to wait a few minutes without making any facial moves while it hardens.

If you do decide to use Botox, remember not to take any aspirin for 10 days preceding your appointment to minimize any bleeding.  I am an,e to apply makeup right over the injection spots...no bleeding.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I actually had this done a little over a week ago.   I'm 46 years old.  I had a"1" between my eyebrows and a small horizontal line above each brow.  When I smile I have smile line s or "crows feet".   I did those areas and it costs around 320.  This is the second time I've had this done and I love it .   They ask u to grown so they can inject the correct muscles ,otherwise u could have a bad outcome.   Botox does not only get rid of wrinkles u have but prevents new wrinkles also.   That's why u are asked to make crazy faces.  LOL.  If done correctly, it is lles a mini brow lift.  Really opens up the eye area and lifts the brow ever so slightly.  This is especially wonderful if your eyes are slightly hooded.  I don't spend the money every 3 months however.  I did the second set of injections 6 months after the first ones.  I do think it helps to go to a reputable person with a good reputation.  I would also suggest sticking to the same person and not visiting other practitioners .😃😃

Super Contributor

Everything sounds about right to me as well.  My dermatologist has me make faces so she can see how the muscles react as well.  She injects my forehead, in between my eyebrows, and my crows feet and it costs roughly 600.00.  It goes by how m any units.  I think I get 46 units for that price.  That price seems a little high for me but for the area (metro) it is about right.  The Botox only lasts about 3 months but everyone is different and it could last up to 6 if you are lucky.  Honestly I have been three times so far and she is still trying to get my face lined out to where it will be perfectly still which is how I want it.  One of my eyebrow muscles is so strong and is being contrary.  I think the next time I go in we will get it under control (I hope).  

In answer to one of your questions when they inject into the frown lines it is to stop movement there so you don't create added wrinkles.  Botox is not a filler and will not erase the lines, it only help prevent new ones from forming.  

Hope that helps.

Super Contributor

I started to get it for deep 11s I have.  It worked beautifully and it did take care of a faint horizontal line across the middle of the forehead as well.  So if you get injected for frown lines, it will take care of that horizontal line.  Don't take fish oil or NSAIDs at least 2 weeks before, or you may bruise.  I like to ice before and after.  I will even bring an ice pack of my own and sit in the waiting room with it.  No exercise after you get the injections - for about a day.  No bending over to lift anything heavy.  Just take it easy.  No massages for at least a few days. You don't want the Botox to "travel" and give you a droopy eye. I go to a plastic surgeon.  Don't go to anyone but an MD - sorry, I know there are great nurses out there who do this - but I think a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon are best.  And you can go back after 2 weeks if it hasn't "taken" - for a touch up.  All doctors should offer touch ups.  

Valued Contributor

You've received lots of good responses and advice. Went I went yesterday, I had three injections and it was $300. Was told that to work on the horizontal lines higher on my forehead would take more injections. I opted to wait. I was also told it only lasts for three months. Also, I was told to come back in two weeks in case I need more. Hth and good luck to you!

Valued Contributor

I got Botox for muscle spasms and had an allergic reaction

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pegsue wrote:

I just turned 53 and went for a consultation  for botox.  I told the lady that I am concerned about the lines on my forehead, that there is one line in themiddle of my forehead I have literally had since I was very young but now I am getting lines on the sides and was interested in getting those taken care of.  She asked me to frown and I did for her.  She then tells me that her plan was to inject the frown line area-but I don't have any frown lines I told her. She explained that she has been doing this for 12 years and the injections there would open up my eye area, etc.....and that she knows what she is doing. And then she gave me a price and it was $350 and said it is best to keep coming every 3 months or so as it is a cumulative effect.  

I opted not to go thru with it-first off I did have botox over 5 years ago one time and they injected my forehead and the cost of it was under $150.  And on top of that I really did not see any difference however I did not have the lines on the sides then.  Secondly I was confused about why she wanted to inject in my frown lines when I honestly don't have any-lucky I know but I don't have them.

My question is for those who know-is that right that she would inject in that area of my frown lines to take care of any forehead lines??  Also it only lasts for 3 months??  I thought it was more like 5-6 months?

Thanks for any information.

The length of time botox works is different from one person to the next.   Sometimes it works for 3 months for some and it works for 5 to 6 monhts for others.  The average is about 4 months.

$350 sounds inexpensive to me.   I don't think that's an egrecious prce at all.

I'd not go anywhere where they charge less than  $9.50  $10 a unit.  It's usually diluted.  

I go on days of specials and pay $10.50 a unit for a special.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"