Super Contributor

BonTon Sale - Skincare/Cosmetics/Fragrances

Went to BonTon the other day to check out their going out of business sale.  Most items were 50% off, and a lot of them had tags with additional percent off the 50% - EXCEPT Skincare/Cosmetics/Fragrances, which were a big 10% off.  The things with the biggest mark-ups had the smallest mark-downs.  Maybe they'll mark them down further in the end, but I'm not going back to see. 

Honored Contributor

Re: BonTon Sale - Skincare/Cosmetics/Fragrances

Wow! Maybe later they will be more of a discount. My husband and I were told by someone who used to work at our local store, that in about a month everything will be really reduced, I don't know if that included Makeup/Skincare/Fragrance......I hope it does!!

Respected Contributor

I was wondering if they were going to reduce their cosmetics. Was at the mall the other day and forgot to pop in to see what they were doing with their beauty products.

Honored Contributor

They removed them from their website pretty quickly.  I haven't gone to the store, probably won't.

Esteemed Contributor

That's how liquidation "sales" work. Bon-ton probably has hired a company to run the actual liquidation sales so they mark everything up before the sale and prestige brand cosmetics don't get marked down until the end -- that is what is left of them.

I've seen it happen at Sears Canada when they went out of business this past winter. The liquidators also brought in overpriced clothing merchandise from the U.S. that was never sold in Sears Canada as my husband bought a nice jacket that had a Macy's reticket piece of paper in the pocket. We think that this jacket was sold online at Macy's and returned to the store because it ran too large for a men's small.

Before the liquidation sale when Sears Canada was still in charge they put their packable down coats on sale and that's when I bought my husband one and both of us packable down vests. Once the liquidators came in they jacked up the prices to full price so they could put them on "sale" and that sale price was higher than Sear's sale price.

Sears Canada didn't discount the prestige cosmetics either. I think some of it ended up being returned to the vendor and then ended up at Winners in Canada. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of prestige cosmetics end up at T.J. Maxx and Marshall's when department stores end up being closed as that inventory ends up being returned to the vendor as the vendor doesn't want them to be on sale at cheap prices. But they have to be unloaded somewhere and I think that the vendors like Estee Lauder group are unloading their old inventory through TJX so stores like T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, and Winners are selling them. The liquidator also brought in old fragrances that were never sold in Sears Canada. I saw the past 3 years of the limited editions of Escada Carioca fragrances sold by the liquidators at Sears Canada. It was a fragrance that was never sold at Sears Canada either.

When Target Canada left Canada and they used a liquidator they pulled the same stunt about raising prices so that they could put them on sale.

Be careful of buying any electronics or small appliances at any department store liquidation sale as those items are usually a final sale with no warranty at all.