Honored Contributor

Body Lotion or Cream - Basic Question

[ Edited ]

This probably sounds dumb, but it's been bugging me for a good while and I just have to ask it!

When I use certain body lotions, they feel nice going on --- smooth, easy application, sinks in well, not sticky at all.  This is the feeling I like!  However, these kinds of lotions do not seem to really be enough for my skin any more.  

I find that I am needing something heavier.  I use lotions or creams which, to me, feel heavier and do not feel as pleasing on my skin.  Kind of sticky or something!  And after I get dressed, the stuff seems to drag on my clothing or leave a yucky feeling of sticking to me or something.  I have even tried putting my pajamas on for a bit after applying to kind of absorb some of it before I dress again.  And it still feels yucky! 

Does anyway feel this way?  It's hard to explain, but I really dislike this feeling.

I have tried so many lotions, creams, etc., and in order to get the mositure I need, I have to use a somewhat heavier form, so maybe this just goes with the territory!  ???? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Body Lotion or Cream - Basic Question

[ Edited ]

I have been struggeling with the same issue I just can't stand the feeling of sticky and coated with a thick cream. My quest to find something has led me to Josie Maran. In the past I could never use her products because it felt like it stayed on top of my skin but she introduced a new product A397259 a part of her Apothecary line so I said why not and it is perfection! I have always had dry skin and ageing is not helping but my skin now loves the oil and body butter and it never leaves a coating or sticky feeling so maybe give that a try oh and my rough arms are gone as well. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe you need to exfoliate FIRST.   Yes, including arms, legs, feet... hands.   It's a royal pain....but I have found it to be immensely helpful.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Exfloiate, try alpha skincare, i also like carols daughter body butters.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I like the Philosophy body lotions for everyday use. They work much better than lotions available in CVS or other retail stores, but they aren't greasy or sticky. I like to apply  L'Occitane Shea butter body butter after I shave my legs. It's much better than a lotion at preventing flakiness, but it is much thicker (even after you rub it in). I even apply a little of this after shaving my arms as it's great for soothing razor burn. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @AngelPuppy1  Have you tried a few drops of argan or jojoba oil mixed in with the lotion you like? I find body lotion and creams work better on my skin applied right after my shower when my skin is damp. Maybe reapplying throughout the day may help too. Or put a little heavy-duty lotion on when you put the lotion on whose consistency you like. Exfoliating with a nice nourishing scrub then follow with a lotion you like may work for you too. I hope this helps!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi ----YES !!!! Excellent advice---I have a pair of gloves that have an exfoliating surface on them that I use maybe once a week to do the whole body thing---I don't scrub hard just a light once over with my shower gel. I know there are body scrubs but trying to keep them from washing down the drain is a huge waste of $$. Works great!!!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I so understand that heavy or thick feeling.  There are a lot of good suggestions here. I use Josie Maran body butters and don't have that issue.  For me, these are especially good during the winter when my skin feels really dry.  Sometimes when I don't use JM body butters, I will add a drop or two of argan oil to the lotion I am using and that really helps.

Another lotion that I really enjoy using is Alpha Skin Care Renewal Body Lotion.  It has 12% AHA so helps with exfoliation.  I use it mostly on the backs my arms but have used it all over and been fine.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

@Desertdi ----YES !!!! Excellent advice---I have a pair of gloves that have an exfoliating surface on them that I use maybe once a week to do the whole body thing---I don't scrub hard just a light once over with my shower gel. I know there are body scrubs but trying to keep them from washing down the drain is a huge waste of $$. Works great!!!

@wagirl     I started out with the Japanese Salux® Cloth....but I found a "brand x" at the $ store that works the same!   I don't appreciate "money down the drain", either !!!!     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My skin has always been the driest of the dry.

I discovered Josie's Divine Drip and it's has solved the probleml. I judge a cream or lotion based on how long it lasts on my skin, and the Divine Drip has beat out most others. I still use the Body Butters but only for the scent!

I also like to apply body oil to my damp skin when fresh out of the shower, it helps to seal the water in. Seasame, jojoba or argan oil work well!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield