Honored Contributor

Body Lotion - Comments and question

I am disappointed with all my body lotions and am now looking for something else to use. 

First off, I have an issue, and then a question.  When I use a heavier lotion, I like how it really seems to do the job for my arms and legs, but I hate how it feels on the rest of my body, such as chest and back, etc!  It feels like it's suffocating me and makes me hot and makes me feel sticky and yucky!  I almost feel like I should use one heavier lotion on my legs and arms and another lighter one for rest of the body.  This is a pain.  Anyone else have this issue?  

Is there a lotion which is fragrance free that does a nice moisturizing job, that really sinks in, and does not leave that sticky feeling?  For me, it's like I seem to get "either or" - it either moisturizes well and is sticky and heavy, -- or --- it's nice and light and absorbs well but is not all that moisturizing.  

All suggestions welcome!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Body Lotion - Comments and question

You can't go wrong with CeraVe.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A really good fragrance free body lotion is by Alpha Skincare - Renewal Body Lotion w/12% AHA.  It’s paraben free too, if that matters to you. AmLactin is another one.  Both are reasonably priced.  If you are a Costco shopper, the AmLactin is a better value. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting dilemma.... are you wanting high-end or drugstore?   I used the same lotion all over for years, but recently started experimenting with different lotions.  And I only use drugstore brands these days.   I've been using Gold Bond Ultimate Overnight on my legs for several months.  It is heavy and sticky when first applied, but it's fabulous right after I shave. I think it would be too heavy to wear all over my body.   Supposedly, it sinks in 10 layers (if you want to believe that).  I also apply to my hands before I go to bed - I can still feel it on my skin in the morning.   No fragrance.

I've been using Aveeno Positively Ageless Firming Lotion on my arms and torso because I feel I need a little firming there. (yeahrightwhatever)  I doubt it will work to firm anything, but it's lighter than the Ultimate and I wanted to give it a try.  The Aveeno has a light fragrance, but it fades quickly.

For my chest, I've used Gold Bond Neck & Dec for years.  Apply to my neck and smooth down onto my chest.   I like the results! 

(I don't apply lotion to my back because I can reach it)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Lubriderm comes in fragrance free.

Honored Contributor

I alternate between these two, both unscented:

Alba Botanica comes in sizes of up to one gallon for about $30. I buy the 32-oz for about $13. 

Alpha Skincare Body (12%) AHA is the best exfoliating lotion ever. 12-oz for about

$16.

5e628a23dc1a30196bfc2d09_00724742003692-glamor-frontpackageglamor-2020-02-25t14-34-58-iphone-7-quality-90-1-20-1-user-5c4f16e4fc9c91accd101ce4-kz3c-496767.jpg

acf0bfa01a316a4013a091ee604315fb.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love Gold Bond.  It soaks in, is not greasy, and my skin hasn't looked better.  I have the excema version for hands only because they get sooooo dry in the winter. But I use the unscented lotion on the rest of me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning @AngelPuppy1 . I use Cerave. If my skin is extra dry, I mix it my hands with a light organic argan or marula oil from Trader Joe's. Coconut oil also works well and I don't find the scent too overwhelming.  

Sometimes at night, feet get moisturizer, a light coat of aquafor and cotton socks.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I use Beekman 1802 goat milk body cream.  The frangrance free "goat milk" hand lotion for my hands and the body cream for my legs.

I tried it a few years ago, and I'm hooked. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used Cetaphil for years, after my doc recommended it.

Fragrance free, non-greasy, light, absorbs quickly, skin feels smooth and less dry, though nothing heavy.  If you want a heavy duty one for legs not sure you'll think this is it, but it fits the bill on the rest of what you say you want in a lighter cream. I have "normal to dry" skin and it's been fine for me. I use this on my legs, body.

For heavier creams and a little, soft fragrance, like for on my arms, neck, chest, feet... I do also use Philosophy body butters and also love Josie Maran's body butters.

I just have both Cetaphil and some butters, which I use in different ways. I also use pure, organic coconut oil on tough areas, like rough feet, then I put on socks because that will be greasy until it absorbs. I also use that on my legs and body in the summertime sometimes, especially since then I have on lighter clothing, no long sleeves, a sundress, so no clothing to worry about getting greasy. Or just put on a robe until it absorbs.

I will advise Philosophy is criticized often for still using parabens in products...but Josie M. doesn't, as far as I know she has pretty pure ingredients.  Both body butters are not heavy, absorb nicely, are rich and creamy but no greasy after feel. Josie's come in fragrance free also.

I hope that helps.