Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I got the Calypso Coral pot rouge (but not from this show).

It is creamy and long-wearing. I was hoping they would offer more shades.

I have that one too, isn't it gorgeous?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown show

[ Edited ]

Here's the thing: Bobbi Brown was responsible for the look, the aesthetic of the company. SHE invented the "Bobbi Look". As Creative Director (which is what she was as she sold the company DECADES ago to the Lauder Corp), she was the one who kept the "look" which we all fell in love with. 

Now, she's gone. Her direction, her input, her holding back certain products/looks is no more.  You think it's bad now.... just wait.

For those of you who have used the line for a LONG time.... do you remember when she brought out a book showing SHIMMER and GLITTER looks on the eyes? It also featured photos of models whose foundation did NOT match them correctly and it looked awful. I attended an event where BB was there as well as her Pro-Team; they were doing make-overs and selling the book which she was autographing if you spent X amount of dollars. I spent enough money. While having my makeup done, a woman (loudly) asked why there were so many shimmer and bright colors when Bobbi ALWAYS stated to not use them (you may remember the bright color palettes one holiday that never returned or became part of the line). I listened because I also wondered. There was much hemming and hawing but no one answered her. She walked off stating she would spend her money elsewhere. I said to my artist "because Lauder owns the company, that's why". The artist kept doing my makeup and replied softly "you don't know the half of it!"

I sincerely hope the products don't change but I have no doubt that there will be products coming out that are a mess. The new squeezing artist pencils are one of those things; the lipstick is nice but the delivery system is a nightmare. The BB show was another example of BB being gone; she would NEVER have ok'd what was done on air. It was in no way the "Bobbi Look".

Regular Contributor

Just checked in a few times to see what they were offering. Think I was watching RHOBH reunion......Host did spent most of her time trying the products on herself, ignoring most of the vendor presentation and the models. She has lovely clothes, is an attractive woman but is terribly wrapped up in herself. And no it is not jealousy, I am not 45 anymore but when I was I looked darn good too, more naturally. With Isaac and most shows, she does not know her merchandise, fabrics, etc. This is not bashing. This is a host who is loved by many, not necessarily for the right reasons. To each his own......

Esteemed Contributor

The brow kit surprised me.

Why would you put in a pair of tweezers, like you tweeze something each time you do your brows?

They should have put in a spooly brush, which is more an indispensible brow tool.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Here's the thing: Bobbi Brown was responsible for the look, the aesthetic of the company. SHE invented the "Bobbi Look". As Creative Director (which is what she was as she sold the company DECADES ago to the Lauder Corp), she was the one who kept the "look" what we all fell in love with. 

Now, she's gone. Her direction, her input, her holding back certain products/looks is no more.  You think it's bad now.... just wait.

For those of you who have used the line for a LONG time.... do you remember when she brought out a book showing SHIMMER and GLITTER looks on the eyes? It also featured photos of models whose foundation did NOT match them correctly and it looked awful. I attended an event where BB was there as well as her Pro-Team; they were doing make-overs and selling the book which she was autographing if you spent X amount of dollars. I did. While having my makeup done, a woman (loudly) asked why there were so many shimmer and bright colors when Bobbi ALWAYS stated to not use them (you may remember the bright color palettes one holiday that never returned or became part of the line). I listened because I also wondered. There was much hemming and hawing but no one answered her. She walked off stating she would spend her money elsewhere. I said to my artist "because Lauder owns the company, that's why". The artist kept doing my makeup and replied softly "you don't know the half of it!"

I sincerely hope the products don't change but I have no doubt that there will be products coming out that are a mess. The new squeezing artist pencils are one of those things; the lipstick is nice but the delivery system is a nightmare. The BB show was another example of BB being gone; she would NEVER have ok'd what was done on air. It was in no way the "Bobbi Look".

I had the pleasure of Bobbi making me up years ago before she sold her company to Estee Lauder but stayed as Creative Director. She told me at the time none of her foundations were light enough for me and just used a little concealer under my eyes. She did not put sparkly eye shadow on me nor did she use anything with glitter  at the time. I still use some of her basics but have found that the glittery makeup was never her "vision" and I avoid all of it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown show

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam wrote:

Here's the thing: Bobbi Brown was responsible for the look, the aesthetic of the company. SHE invented the "Bobbi Look". As Creative Director (which is what she was as she sold the company DECADES ago to the Lauder Corp), she was the one who kept the "look" what we all fell in love with. 

For those of you who have used the line for a LONG time.... do you remember when she brought out a book showing SHIMMER and GLITTER looks on the eyes? It also featured photos of models whose foundation did NOT match them correctly and it looked awful. I attended an event where BB was there as well as her Pro-Team; they were doing make-overs and selling the book which she was autographing if you spent X amount of dollars. I did. While having my makeup done, a woman (loudly) asked why there were so many shimmer and bright colors when Bobbi ALWAYS stated to not use them (you may remember the bright color palettes one holiday that never returned or became part of the line). I listened because I also wondered. There was much hemming and hawing but no one answered her. She walked off stating she would spend her money elsewhere. I said to my artist "because Lauder owns the company, that's why". The artist kept doing my makeup and replied softly "you don't know the half of it!"

@SahmIam - Over 10 years ago I bought her summer eye palette. I loved her makeup, so it made sense to get what she brought out for summer. I bought it without trying it, which was a big mistake. When I did try it at home, every color looked silver on my eyelids. I took it on our summer vacation, but didn't use it much, because even the peach shades looked silver! I wondered why - because we all know what she said about glittery eyeshadows. But it was Bobbi, and I didn't know what was going on at the time, so I didn't question it. It was right after that I started pulling away some and went to Laura Mercier. I still used a lot of Bobbi's, but I was careful what I bought from then on! 

She has said (cryptically) she may think about developing a new makeup line, among other ventures. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath, but that would be wonderful! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I did not watch the show, but I will give my opinion. Anyone who knows anything about BB and her vision she had when she applied makeup, knows that she was so big on the "natural" look. It's really sad that her name will still be on products that will come out in the future, but are not even close to how she is as a makeup artist. 

I also agree that if they would let Jill or MBR host the show that it would go better, because they are more subtle when it comes to makeup. JMO

Honored Contributor

I was interested in the creme blush but I thought the shades were too dark.  Just because it's Bobbi Brown does not mean that everything is great because it's not!  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Okay, I just went and watched the presentation of the new color sticks and that was a total train wreck!! So bad! I thought these hosts attended meeting and such so they would know a little about the products before they presented them? 

Honored Contributor

I never used BB products, but I did watch the show last night and the problem was the host. All that questioning the vendor when she was trying to apply the cosmetics got to be really tedious IMO. I thought the models looked glamorous and the makeup was flawless, I almost bought something, but I don't buy from Shawn..