Super Contributor

Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks question

I am being tempted by her website's 20% off sale and the colors she has in the nudes and nectars sets--the shimmer brick looks gorgeous, and I know she calls it shimmer for a reason, but just how much of a pow does it give if you lightly brush all over the face? Too much for a 63 year old? It is just so darned pretty. I am getting a few lip glosses and nail polishes, but am on the fence about the brick.

This is my first ever purchase of BB cosmetics, and am not really into dept store sampling, so am hoping some beauties out there can share their shimmer brick experiences with me.

Super Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks question

I find that they are very forgiving. Buildable for sure. I am over 35 and her shimmer is one of the only I trust not to make me look ridiculous. If you have the means, the body brick is gorgeous for the neck and shoulders in the summer.

Honored Contributor

I purchased the Nectar one & returned it. It is suppose to be used over your blush. It has a shimmery finish and the compact is a lot smaller in person. I am in my early 60's too. For me I was obviously not impressed with the product. I think it is better for younger skin but that's my opinion. If your are looking for illumination all over, try out a drugstore brand that does not cost much to see if you like the overall look.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Thank you, I do appreciate your input. Lesley

Valued Contributor

Hi Lesley, I respectfully disagree with KatCat. The Nectar shimmer brick is one of my favorites (I do have several of them). I find it to be more pigmented than many of the others and use the darker shades as a light blush that does give a flattering shimmer (NOT glittery at all) and use the lighter shades for a pretty glow. I use it often and think that you may want to consider giving it a try!
Regular Contributor

Get it with this sale. They are beautiful. I have several and love them all. I apply blush lightly. Then starting around mid cheek lightly apply the brick in an upward stroke. It is a really nice product, and I am older than you are. It will last forever.

Always remember a light touch. Don't overdo. You can always add a bit more.

For the perfect illumination all over your face, or at least the highlight areas, I use her illuminating bronzer in antigua. Many ladies here have used this through the years in all the colors. There's about five to choose from. Antigua is the lightest.

Regular Contributor

I'm not a fan of most of them. I do like the Rose shimmer brick as a blush on occasion, but the others I've tried (nude, nectar, pink, and I think copper) all just accentuated my pores and were way too shimmery. IMO they are for younger skin. Or at the very least, skin that's in great condition (no pores, lines, etc.). I much prefer BB's highlighting pen if I just want some highlight on my cheekbones. I also love her illuminating bronzers. For some reason they don't look as dry on the skin to me and much less shimmery than the shimmer bricks.

Super Contributor

I for one love the shimmer bricks and have several and wear one almost every day. That being said I agree w/ a previous poster that the Antigua illuminating bronzer is FABULOUS - use that as a blush or you might even like one of the brightening finishing poweders - I have the neutral one of those and use it a lot. At least if you get one and don't like it they will let you send it back! You could even do an online chat w/ one of their makeup artists.

Valued Contributor

On 2/25/2014 Seattlegirl98026 said: Hi Lesley, I respectfully disagree with KatCat. The Nectar shimmer brick is one of my favorites (I do have several of them). I find it to be more pigmented than many of the others and use the darker shades as a light blush that does give a flattering shimmer (NOT glittery at all) and use the lighter shades for a pretty glow. I use it often and think that you may want to consider giving it a try!
I own several and love them too, and mid-50. Nectar is not new, mine was at pan and ordered a new one a couple weeks ago and as pretty as ever. I wonder if you're not using a BB brush for yours, or too heavy handed? Sorry you didn't like, but I sure do think it flatters my skin.
Honored Contributor

I love the shimmerbricks--have 5 or 6 and I'm way into senior years.