Super Contributor

UGH..every time I see one of her palettes of shadows I think, "Wow. love those shades!"  Then I check it out and my eyes get blinded by all the sparkle :-(   I am a matte girl in general for eyes, but will indulge occasionally with satin or lightly sparkly look (ie. I like some of Mally's sticks.) and will use it to hightlight.   But Bobbi seems to really have gotten away from her old motto--natural, less-is-more, etc.  I know it is driven by $ and the sale of her company.  I'd sure like to see a palette of hers from the good old days.  ~smiles, SnowKita  

Super Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown eye palettes

Would definitely agree. I don't necessarily think there is too much sparkle to her shimmer shadows but the color payoff is not what it used to be, natural or not. Perhaps it is just my eyelids but even when using a base, I don't get a lot of color without having to layer 3-4 colors and that is way too much work for me. Too bad as I am a fan of the rest of her makeup but I won't buy any more of her palettes regardless of how pretty they are.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The color payoff is awful!!  I don't understand why palette after palette someone doesn't catch on to the lack of quality they are putting out. It never changes.

Frequent Contributor

I am a makeup junkie. I tried a few of her eyeshadow palettes and found the quality to be poor. They were powdery, little color payoff, and they crease. The best eyeshadows I have tried (in my opinion) are Urban Decay and Laura Geller.

Super Contributor

Yes, she needs to add maybe one "shimmer" and leave any glittery shadows to perhaps a holiday pallette.  For some reason her pallettes ususally have two glitter shadows and I mean "glitter" not "shimmer."  Since I rarely use any glitter, I'm also apprehensive to purchase any more of her pallettes.

Honored Contributor

@SnowKita wrote:

UGH..every time I see one of her palettes of shadows I think, "Wow. love those shades!"  Then I check it out and my eyes get blinded by all the sparkle :-(   I am a matte girl in general for eyes, but will indulge occasionally with satin or lightly sparkly look (ie. I like some of Mally's sticks.) and will use it to hightlight.   But Bobbi seems to really have gotten away from her old motto--natural, less-is-more, etc.  I know it is driven by $ and the sale of her company.  I'd sure like to see a palette of hers from the good old days.  ~smiles, SnowKita  

I don't mind some sparkle.  Her colors in the pan are gorgeous !  That being said, there is NO color payoff.  The pigment is like $1 store makeup.  I'ver returned several gorgeous eye palettes in the past, and I won't be sucked into more.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I had been a BB fan since she started her line w/ the original lipsticks. In the last 5 yrs. I've noticed that she's trying to appeal to a younger group w/ those sparkle shadows, bright lip colors, etc. The 6 pan palettes that you fill w/ shadows of your choice are very expensive & I tire of the same 6 shades when the palette would last 3 more years...pans too large! I gave up and use Tarte, Marc Jacobs, or others.

Respected Contributor

Her 4 color shade palette is all matte and that is one that I like, as well as one called the Chocolates from a while ago.

Trusted Contributor

I don't buy palettes anymore because I don't like some of the colors. So I made my own Bobbibrown palette. I bought one of her empty palettes and bought colors of hers that perfectly match my skintone. I love it. Every single color is used and I love them all. I use mattes and shimmers, but not metallics and sparkles. 

I find Bobbibrown's makeup colors in all catagories are best for my skintone. I think her makeup looks natural on me and sophisticated. I will be 50 next month and that is the look I am going for.