Respected Contributor

Re: ~*Bobbi Brown and what she just said about eye shadows*~

On 4/29/2014 Irishrose136 said:

While I see posters here who have used BB for years, can anyone tell me how her Brightening Finishing Powder in Porcelain Pearl and Nude look on the face? Do they brighten or do they shimmer and glitter too much for a 63 yo face?

If they just illuminate, I'd love to try one. I have fair/light skin. Which shade do you think would look better?

Or is Hourglass Ambient Powder better?

TY! Smiley Happy

IR-I purchased the Hourglass Ambient palette on Sephora and like it .The Dim light leaves a subtle luminosity for me and I am no spring chick. I purchased from Sephora b/c of their generous return policy; I have rosacea so I always have to be cautious trying anything new.

Trusted Contributor

currently on her site

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/30/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 4/29/2014 Remee said:
On 4/29/2014 beach-mom said:

She may have forgotten that years ago she had a summer palette with green, turquoise, and other SPARKLY colors in it! I was wearing BB and Laura Mercier at the time, and I let the MUA talk me into it, saying it would give me a bronzed and beautiful look for summer! Every color I put on looked like shimmery silver with a slight tint of the color, so I ended up giving it to DD!

I do like Bobbi, and I'm tempted by this TSV, but I think I'm happier "playing" with other brands right now. You do learn a lot from her, but I remember when she first started out and said she would NEVER do shimmer! Smile

She said she would never do shimmer ??????? HA ! That's EXACTLY why I do not buy her products, I've tried them and they make me look like an old clown. You need to be very young to wear her eye and cheek products. You can't have a single wrinkle or crepiness, or fish scale eyes or her sparkle and shimmer products will accent every single one you have. I don't know why she insists on doing it in almost everything she makes, unless she believes only people under 35 should wear her makeup.

Her pot rouge products are fantastic and I don't think I've ever seen one with shimmer. She has an entire range of matte blushes as well as a range of shimmer blushes. She has an illuminating bronzer and a matte bronzer. She also has an entire line of matte eye shadows. She also has many cream lipsticks and lip glosses with no sparkle or shimmer.

I don't buy the idea that she puts shimmer in "almost everything she makes." Her shimmer bricks are famous, but she has quite a lot of things without any shimmer.

Chynnablue, I can't say how it started, but the posters on this board who are under the impression that the Bobbi Brown Collection is all about sparkly and shimmer obviously have not ever even glanced at her counters in stores, or her products online. If they have then they would know that the Bricks and other products with frost and shimmer make up only a small percentage of the collection. Whether one shops the brand or not, anyone who has seen for themselves (instead of relying on myth and false information) know that Bobbi's philosophy of matte eyeshadows, lip colors, blush still have a very prominent place in the brand.

Honored Contributor

I have to say BB makes some of the best brown shadows I have found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Occasional Contributor

I guess Bobbie changed her mind :-). But with her TSV, I believe it says you layer the shimmer over the matte shadow for a layered effect, or maybe just add it to the corner of the eye to spice it up a bit and make your eyes look more wide set. For an evening look of course. Never apply plain shimmer directly to the eyelid after 35, if ever (unless it is a very subtle shimmer, or you are a rock star I guess)...at least that's what I learned in make-up school!!! But again, in this case I think Bobbi's shimmers and sparkles are too chunky and I would only use them to lightly layer or accent. What really surprised me so much about her presentations, the two that I watched, was that she touched the models lips directly with her fingers to apply the gloss. Seen it twice! I would do that to myself but not sure I would do that to my model on live TV!

Honored Contributor

On 4/30/2014 Beauty26 said:

I guess Bobbie changed her mind :-). But with her TSV, I believe it says you layer the shimmer over the matte shadow for a layered effect, or maybe just add it to the corner of the eye to spice it up a bit and make your eyes look more wide set. For an evening look of course. Never apply plain shimmer directly to the eyelid after 35, if ever (unless it is a very subtle shimmer, or you are a rock star I guess)...at least that's what I learned in make-up school!!! But again, in this case I think Bobbi's shimmers and sparkles are too chunky and I would only use them to lightly layer or accent. What really surprised me so much about her presentations, the two that I watched, was that she touched the models lips directly with her fingers to apply the gloss. Seen it twice! I would do that to myself but not sure I would do that to my model on live TV!

I noticed that as well...guess she is comfortable with touching their lips.Maybe if you have so many years as a MU artist you just get used to it.

I tried a BB brown shadow today(matte) and used the shimmer shadow over it and really like the how it looked. Each time BB is on the Q I learn new methods of applying MU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Frequent Contributor

Wondering if this is a swipe against Trish McEvoy. Her recent TS included an ""emerald"" shadow.

Respected Contributor

On 4/29/2014 croemer said:
On 4/29/2014 PKB said: I wear dark green shadows and liners a lot! Great for brown eyed girls!

Brown eyes here too and wore green today!

I also have brown eyes and never found a nice green eyeshadow that I liked. Can you ladies tell me what shade of green that really brings out the color in your eyes? Also what shade of liner do you use in green? Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/1/2014 Butterfly12 said:
On 4/29/2014 croemer said:
On 4/29/2014 PKB said: I wear dark green shadows and liners a lot! Great for brown eyed girls!

Brown eyes here too and wore green today!

I also have brown eyes and never found a nice green eyeshadow that I liked. Can you ladies tell me what shade of green that really brings out the color in your eyes? Also what shade of liner do you use in green? Thanks

If I do green (I have brown eyes also), I would only do it in liner, ala Mildew by Urban Decay 24/7, which is really understated, muted green & darker than what the photo implies. I'm not a fan of green or blue eye shadows. I only want the color close to my eyes, and think natural shades of shadow are the most flattering.

I haven't used this in a long time, so I will today, but I'll also pair it w/ blue mascara. I may use Laura Geller's Sandbar (w/shimmer!) as lid shadow first, another shadow as liner first, then the Mildew on top.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aafc_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-UrbanDecay-Site/Sites-UrbanDecayCatalog/default/v1398940305916/ProductImages/large/247glideoneyepencils/44920_247eyeliner_mildew_alt1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Bobbi has "changed her mind" several times, LOL. I remember hearing her once say that some women should wear a brown mascara. Then, I heard her on another show state that women should always wear black mascara.

I remember when she initially said no to shimmer and sparkle, and then she changed her mind on that, LOL.

I realize she carries mattes and sparkles. I absolutely love her e/s colors, but since there is no color payoff or very little, I pass.

I do like her shimmer blush/face palettes.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"