Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner

I've used BB gel eyeliners for many years, and what I have  experienced is the liners that I have that have a slight shimmer to them (Black Mauve Shimmer & Graphite Shimmer), haven't dried out at all, yet the regular matte ones I have seem to dry out (Deep Chocolate & Black).  I've read where one can place a few drops of Visine or other eye drops in the pot,  and stir the liner around with a toothpick, and then pat down smooth with an eyeshadow brush.  This works somewhat okay, but has to be done periodically.  However, I did a Google search and found an article where the gal used approximately 2 - 3 drops of baby oil.  She sterilized a safety pin, poked holes in the gel liner, and then put the oil in - stirred around, patted down with a brush, and said it worked well.  I just tried this a few days ago with my dark brown liner, and so far, it's okay - better than using the eye drops.  So it's  just a thought - my brown liner was the newest I had purchased, and there was still a lot in the pot, so I thought I'd rather try and rescue it than purchase another one. 

Respected Contributor

i've heard of putting a couple drops of visine in and putting in the microwave for just a few seconds until it softens up.

this was years ago.  you may want to play around with this.

Respected Contributor

I do  keep mine in a sip lock bag  Also keep the bag in my bathroom where it can take advantage of the moisture of the shower.  I  have also tried micro-waiving the gel which does soften it.  

Contributor

I used BB gel eyeliners for years and always had the same issue.  I tried microwaving, stirring, running under hot water and anything else I could think of but to no avail.  I never once finished a jar.  I finally got tired of spending $$$ and tried a less costly gel liner brand.  L'Oreal is nice, although it smears sometimes, but I have actually finished quite a few jars at a third of the price.  Trying Maybelline currently, jury is out on that though.  Seems somewhat dry as well but is very long wearing.

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@sunshineflower wrote:

I've made every attempt to tighten the lid on my Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner after every use, but the product has dried out - the texture is very difficult to work with.

Any solution for this problem?
I'd rather not purchase another if it can be helped.

Thank you for your post.

Have a great day!

sunshineflower

They always dry out.  I've made sure the lid is on tight, and it still dries out.  The ONLY one that doesn't dry out is Clinique gel/cream.  BUT...terrible news...my friend who's the manager at the Clinique counter said they are discontinuing it. It's such a great gel/cream and it never dries out.  

I have found Tarte, MAC and BB all dry out no matter how tight the lid is on.  Clinique is the best.  They still have a few Clinique's out there so if you can find one, buy it.

Oh no! Clinique's really are great! Very creamy. 

I know Future...it stinks.  Sephora already has them off their website.  I just found a black one on Nordstrom's site.   I bet it is one of the last ones they have.  I ordered it a few minutes ago. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Agree with many here regarding some drying out faster then others, esp. when some have shimmer.

However I rarely see my BB gel liners drying out bad unless real old...but duh, in the case they should be chucked! BB's do not seem to dry out around the perimeter of the gel liner like with Tarte's (for me they were notorious for that). I have had my many pots for years and they work fine just kinda stir the brush up a bit and good to go.

BB is my best bet and fave...and a drop of visine is always an old trick people use as others said here. Place on the lid and then dip into pot.

Lancome has gel liners as well...I have their brown one...it's not as creamy but maybe it was an older one (hsn).

I feel L'oreal and others are comparable (but only sometimes) and I think better too as someone said as far as lasting creaminess...worth a try!

It's funny when looking at most all the glass pots they are in, most all are housed in the exact container just diff lids. Wonder if some are made in the same factory?  always think that.

I found Clinique not as long lasting but liked the creamy texture..I'm sure they will as all companies do change things will replace it with another gel liner..it seems to be a staple in most lines.

PS: BB and Estee Lauder gel liners are just about the same as far as the way they go on and how they last!...almost exact!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

Agree with many here regarding some drying out faster then others, esp. when some have shimmer.

However I rarely see my BB gel liners drying out bad unless real old...but duh, in the case they should be chucked! BB's do not seem to dry out around the perimeter of the gel liner like with Tarte's (for me they were notorious for that). I have had my many pots for years and they work fine just kinda stir the brush up a bit and good to go.

BB is my best bet and fave...and a drop of visine is always an old trick people use as others said here. Place on the lid and then dip into pot.

Lancome has gel liners as well...I have their brown one...it's not as creamy but maybe it was an older one (hsn).

I feel L'oreal and others are comparable (but only sometimes) and I think better too as someone said as far as lasting creaminess...worth a try!

It's funny when looking at most all the glass pots they are in, most all are housed in the exact container just diff lids. Wonder if some are made in the same factory?  always think that.

I found Clinique not as long lasting but liked the creamy texture..I'm sure they will as all companies do change things will replace it with another gel liner..it seems to be a staple in most lines.

PS: BB and Estee Lauder gel liners are just about the same as far as the way they go on and how they last!...almost exact!

She did not state they are bringing out a new and improved one, and she is the counter manager.  She said BB and MAC have cornered the market with their gel liners.  I hope she doesn't have all the info and that they will come out with one.  

Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

She did not state they are bringing out a new and improved one, and she is the counter manager.  She said BB and MAC have cornered the market with their gel liners.  I hope she doesn't have all the info and that they will come out with one.  

@winamac1  interesting...so they cornered the market - that surprises me as Clinique is less expensive. Goes to show you they are all owned by Estee and they must look at the numbers and what's selling best and remove what's not selling great. Hope they do come out with a more improved one...or something similar - so many I know adore Clinique's prices and quailty including me.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@mimi5775 wrote:

@winamac1  interesting...so they cornered the market - that surprises me as Clinique is less expensive. Goes to show you they are all owned by Estee and they must look at the numbers and what's selling best and remove what's not selling great. Hope they do come out with a more improved one...or something similar - so many I know adore Clinique's prices and quailty including me.

I think you are absolutely correct....the Clinique one didn't sell as well due to MAC's and BB's.  I think the Clinique one, though, wore just as well as BB's and MAC's.  No liner lasts on me--not even the Clnique one, but it lasted longer than most pencils. I am glad I found that Nordies had black still! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@sunshineflower wrote:

I've made every attempt to tighten the lid on my Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner after every use, but the product has dried out - the texture is very difficult to work with.

Any solution for this problem?
I'd rather not purchase another if it can be helped.

Thank you for your post.

Have a great day!

sunshineflower

They always dry out.  I've made sure the lid is on tight, and it still dries out.  The ONLY one that doesn't dry out is Clinique gel/cream.  BUT...terrible news...my friend who's the manager at the Clinique counter said they are discontinuing it. It's such a great gel/cream and it never dries out.  

I have found Tarte, MAC and BB all dry out no matter how tight the lid is on.  Clinique is the best.  They still have a few Clinique's out there so if you can find one, buy it.

Oh no! Clinique's really are great! Very creamy. 

I know Future...it stinks.  Sephora already has them off their website.  I just found a black one on Nordstrom's site.   I bet it is one of the last ones they have.  I ordered it a few minutes ago. 

I don't wear black, or else I'd buy 2!! Smiley Wink I'm going to call around town and see if anyone has any. I loved the smoke grey and the black honey. I might even call to the town where my parents live -- mom could swing by and pick one up for me. Smiley Wink