Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

Thanks for all the great tips and information!   I am hoping I can exchange these shadows and I will ask for a different consultant.  You have given me some great ideas and brands to try.  I have never used an eyeshadow primer but I'm thinking it is time! 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,802
Registered: ‎12-09-2016

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes


@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Thanks for all the great tips and information!   I am hoping I can exchange these shadows and I will ask for a different consultant.  You have given me some great ideas and brands to try.  I have never used an eyeshadow primer but I'm thinking it is time! 


@KentuckyWomanI'm 65 and really like the cream shadow over powder.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,548
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

You need to use a primer first before you ever apply eyeshadow. The color you see in the  pan WILL look like that on your lids with a primer it is a must!! I love Laura Geller eye primer in the light color and I am medium skin tone. The lighter the primer the more your eyeshadow will look like in the pan. If you just put eyeshadow on your lid without primer your eyeshadow will never look good. I have even worn the eye primer by itself for a eye brightening look. I will say I am in my 60's also and I do like the BB shimmer eye shadows as they don't scream shimmer they are just a wash of color. I believe her brand is the only one that is just a wash of color other brand s scream shimmer not a good look for the older eye. Good luck!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

Thank you so much @cuddlesmama.  I have darkish eyelids and after reading all the responses, I think an eyeshadow primer may be a key to the issues I am having with eye makeup.  I have noticed in the past year or so eyeshadows don't cover or last.  I'm going back to the BB cosmetic counter and give them another try, 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes


@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Thanks for all the great tips and information!   I am hoping I can exchange these shadows and I will ask for a different consultant.  You have given me some great ideas and brands to try.  I have never used an eyeshadow primer but I'm thinking it is time! 


@KentuckyWomanI'm 65 and really like the cream shadow over powder.


I looked at cream Heather and Plum Velvet online.  They look very pretty!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,772
Registered: ‎03-20-2012

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

I'm in your same age range and use Bobbi Brown eye products. (eyes are brown and I have dark under eye circles) I prefer a dark green/ or navy eyeliner. It brightens up the eye area. I've used a dark purple (which sounds awful but works well) and a bronze. they work well with the matt shadows. It defines the eye. It's all about "smoke and mirrors" with me to define and hide whatever issue I have. 

I prefer a matt faint pink on the lid or soft beige. (try to find one that is the closest to your skin tone.( you mentioned that you have dark lids so I would go up 1 or 2 shades) I use my liner and mascara to define my eyes rather than the shadow. Whatever the shade, I keep it matt and neutral.

I also prefer a dark brown or navy mascara but will use the black.

BB products work very well for me so I won't switch to another brand.     

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,542
Registered: ‎03-28-2015

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes


@cuddlesmama wrote:

You need to use a primer first before you ever apply eyeshadow. The color you see in the  pan WILL look like that on your lids with a primer it is a must!! I love Laura Geller eye primer in the light color and I am medium skin tone. The lighter the primer the more your eyeshadow will look like in the pan. If you just put eyeshadow on your lid without primer your eyeshadow will never look good. I have even worn the eye primer by itself for a eye brightening look. I will say I am in my 60's also and I do like the BB shimmer eye shadows as they don't scream shimmer they are just a wash of color. I believe her brand is the only one that is just a wash of color other brand s scream shimmer not a good look for the older eye. Good luck!!


I have to agree with this too....I did not realize how much of a difference an eye primer makes! I just recently tried Laura Geller and I like it very much!

Oh..I am 62

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,733
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

Oh, I could never use eyeshadow without some type of tinted primer. I currently use one of two concealers on my lid that help to camouflage the discoloration.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,365
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

@KentuckyWoman

I only buy Bobbi Browns matte shadows.  As long as they are matte they are not too flashy and look soft and subtle on my eyelids.  I use Blonde, Taupe, Camel and Cocoa and a gray color.  I cannot remember the name of the gray color.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes


@Gsmom wrote:

I find the tarte rainforest eyeshadows to be the least " powdery" of all the high end brands ( much better than Chanel , Lancôme , Este Lauder )  I also think a good eyelid primer helps tremendously - I use the urban decay 

original formula (a very very small amount ) and then I use philosophy hope in a tube eye cream on top (again a very very small amount ) I have also mixed the eye lid primer and eye cream together.   Really works well for me - prevents creapyness and color looks richer and not powdery/dusty 

 


@Gsmom I have been using Philosophy Hope in a Tube eye and lip cream and it is an excellent product.  I can see a difference.