Super Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

I find the tarte rainforest eyeshadows to be the least " powdery" of all the high end brands ( much better than Chanel , Lancôme , Este Lauder )  I also think a good eyelid primer helps tremendously - I use the urban decay 

original formula (a very very small amount ) and then I use philosophy hope in a tube eye cream on top (again a very very small amount ) I have also mixed the eye lid primer and eye cream together.   Really works well for me - prevents creapyness and color looks richer and not powdery/dusty 

Valued Contributor

@KentuckyWoman - I have dark lids also (as well as circles).  I always use Laura Geller Eye Spackle on my lids before applying any other eye makeup.  It lightens the area and allows pigments to show.  You might want to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Last week I went to the Bobbi Brown cosmetic counter at Dillard's.  I have been having issues with eye shadow colors lately and needed some help.  I wanted to brighten the eye area and keep it neutral since I am not a young thing.  I have dark brown eyes and inherited dark eyelids from my mom.  The consultant chose Shell, Khaki, and Burnt Sugar for the shadows. Burnt Sugar is a shimmer and the other two are flat.  She also used BB gel eyeliner Steel Ink.  For some reason, I find the colors to be dull and flat, even the shimmer.  I find the quality of this product to be exceptional, finely milled and highly pigmented.  I just find her colors to be odd looking.  I do love the eyeliner gel but not sure about the Steel Ink color.  Since I am in my 60's I want something to brighten and define the eyes.  For those who use BB shadows and gel liners, what colors do you wear?  What other brands do you recommend for the older lady? 

I used BB exclusively for 20 yrs. until last year, so am quite familiar w/ the line. The shadow combo does seem odd to me. The shell on the lid is light enough, but I would have chosen a light colored shimmer for the lid since your complaint was darkened lids. Her shimmers are not sparkly 16 yr. old type shimmery. I would try Petal (shell w/ shimmer) on lids, wheat or taupe in crease and stay in same brown family w/ gel liner. Not sure why MUA went into all different colors...pink, khaki green and burnt sugar which is is reddish brown and then finish w/ a grey liner. Either exchange what you purchased & please ask for a different BB artist or go to a different counter. Doesn't sound like this gal knew what she was doing. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Thank you @Georgiagrama.  I am really struggling to find an eyeshadow that I love right now.  I am open to all suggestions!  I usually wear browns and plums but I just want something to lighten up my eyes a bit.  I will definitely check out IT shadows.

To really help lighten the lids and be sure shadow stays put, use an eyelid primer. Some good ones are by MAC, Laura Mercier, etc. Don't use concealer because it's too creamy and shadow will crease. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Last week I went to the Bobbi Brown cosmetic counter at Dillard's.  I have been having issues with eye shadow colors lately and needed some help.  I wanted to brighten the eye area and keep it neutral since I am not a young thing.  I have dark brown eyes and inherited dark eyelids from my mom.  The consultant chose Shell, Khaki, and Burnt Sugar for the shadows. Burnt Sugar is a shimmer and the other two are flat.  She also used BB gel eyeliner Steel Ink.  For some reason, I find the colors to be dull and flat, even the shimmer.  I find the quality of this product to be exceptional, finely milled and highly pigmented.  I just find her colors to be odd looking.  I do love the eyeliner gel but not sure about the Steel Ink color.  Since I am in my 60's I want something to brighten and define the eyes.  For those who use BB shadows and gel liners, what colors do you wear?  What other brands do you recommend for the older lady? 

@KentuckyWoman, I looked up the shades. Shell is a good light shade for the lid. But the other two, IMO, are not the best for mature eyes with dark or stained lids. I imagine they might end up looking muddy.

It would be wiser to stick with lighter, more brightening shades and steer away from anything that accentuates darkness. Depending upon your skintone, you might like a pale rose, lilac, or plum (not deep). But I would still use just a light neutral right above your lashes to help open your eyes.

And no, I am not a makeup artist. I just pretend. :-)

@suzyQ3  You pretend quite well. 🌸

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KentuckyWoman,   I purchased a vanilla matte color for the upper lid and only place it on the lid.  Do not go all the way up to the eyebrow.  If you have brown eyes, get yourself a brown eyeliner you smudge and use that under your lower lash line.  Just use a little.  I am in my mid 60's.  Or, instead of the smudge look, get a eye pencil in brown and place dots between your upper lashes.  I forget what that is called.  This way it does not look like you are wearing a lot of eye makeup.  Laura Mercier, Stila, Benefit, Trish McEvoy -- take a look at them for the eye shadow and smudge and/or eye pencil.  Make sure you use just a dab on color on your cheeks.  You are going to be a BEAUTY! Cat Very Happy  P.S.  At Nordstrom, Laura Mercier matte eyeshadow.  Vanilla Nuts or Buttercream.  I have the Vanilla Nuts.  Her shadows glide on very pretty.  good luck

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWomanThis is a great primer. Sometimes I just use it for eyeshadow. Or it helps with the dark eyelids.

Respected Contributor

For some reason I do not like BB powder eye shadows on me. 

I do have a couple of the stick cream shadows & I like them a lot. They don't need a primer. They are easy to apply & they stay set all day.

I use a lot of cream shadows & shadow sticks, but I do use & love a lot of powder shadows, too. Mac & Urban Decay are my favorite shadows. It's way easier to soften great colors than to try to get color out of too sheer shadows.

As you can see from everyone here we all have our own way of doing things & we love to share our vast knowledge. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman,   I purchased a vanilla matte color for the upper lid and only place it on the lid.  Do not go all the way up to the eyebrow.  If you have brown eyes, get yourself a brown eyeliner you smudge and use that under your lower lash line.  Just use a little.  I am in my mid 60's.  Or, instead of the smudge look, get a eye pencil in brown and place dots between your upper lashes.  I forget what that is called.  This way it does not look like you are wearing a lot of eye makeup.  Laura Mercier, Stila, Benefit, Trish McEvoy -- take a look at them for the eye shadow and smudge and/or eye pencil.  Make sure you use just a dab on color on your cheeks.  You are going to be a BEAUTY! Cat Very Happy  P.S.  At Nordstrom, Laura Mercier matte eyeshadow.  Vanilla Nuts or Buttercream.  I have the Vanilla Nuts.  Her shadows glide on very pretty.  good luck

Hi @Katcat1. It's called tightlining. I learned how to do it on YouTube video. It's Trish's trademark lining technique. The result is thicker looking lashes w/o taking up valuable real estate on the eyelid. 

@KentuckyWoman  See above and use a soft waterproof pencil...black or navy. Make tiny dots/dahes between your lashes (not on lid and not on waterline). Yes it takes lots of practice and for me, I flip my mirror to the magnifying side. Once you learn the technique, you'll never do your eyeliner the other way again. Promise. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman, I looked up the shades. Shell is a good light shade for the lid. But the other two, IMO, are not the best for mature eyes with dark or stained lids. I imagine they might end up looking muddy.

It would be wiser to stick with lighter, more brightening shades and steer away from anything that accentuates darkness. Depending upon your skintone, you might like a pale rose, lilac, or plum (not deep). But I would still use just a light neutral right above your lashes to help open your eyes.

And no, I am not a makeup artist. I just pretend. :-)

@suzyQ3 the Burnt Sugar and Khakai are definitely too dark for my eyes.  At my age I need light.  I am going to see if I can return the two and find something brighter.  Thanks for the info.