Respected Contributor

Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

Last week I went to the Bobbi Brown cosmetic counter at Dillard's.  I have been having issues with eye shadow colors lately and needed some help.  I wanted to brighten the eye area and keep it neutral since I am not a young thing.  I have dark brown eyes and inherited dark eyelids from my mom.  The consultant chose Shell, Khaki, and Burnt Sugar for the shadows. Burnt Sugar is a shimmer and the other two are flat.  She also used BB gel eyeliner Steel Ink.  For some reason, I find the colors to be dull and flat, even the shimmer.  I find the quality of this product to be exceptional, finely milled and highly pigmented.  I just find her colors to be odd looking.  I do love the eyeliner gel but not sure about the Steel Ink color.  Since I am in my 60's I want something to brighten and define the eyes.  For those who use BB shadows and gel liners, what colors do you wear?  What other brands do you recommend for the older lady? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bobbi Brown Eye Shadows for Mature Eyes

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Last week I went to the Bobbi Brown cosmetic counter at Dillard's.  I have been having issues with eye shadow colors lately and needed some help.  I wanted to brighten the eye area and keep it neutral since I am not a young thing.  I have dark brown eyes and inherited dark eyelids from my mom.  The consultant chose Shell, Khaki, and Burnt Sugar for the shadows. Burnt Sugar is a shimmer and the other two are flat.  She also used BB gel eyeliner Steel Ink.  For some reason, I find the colors to be dull and flat, even the shimmer.  I find the quality of this product to be exceptional, finely milled and highly pigmented.  I just find her colors to be odd looking.  I do love the eyeliner gel but not sure about the Steel Ink color.  Since I am in my 60's I want something to brighten and define the eyes.  For those who use BB shadows and gel liners, what colors do you wear?  What other brands do you recommend for the older lady? 

Her shadows, at least as far as I've noticed, have NO pigment.  I find them far too powdery though the colors are gorgeous in the pans.  I prefer Urban Decay or Lancome eye shadows.  Clinique also makes nice eye shadows.  I do not like the BB cream/gel eyeliner either.  It dries out far too quickly.  I use Too faced bulletproof pencil liner.  I also like Lancome Artliner or Tarte has some nice black liners. 

I am unimpressed with most of BB makeup items, but I do like her shimmer bricks.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWomanI love BB long wear cream eyeshadows. My eyes are green and I wear "Heather". You might look at "Sandy Gold". Let me see what other colors I have.

Respected Contributor

@winamac1I have heard Jill rave about BB cosmetics for several years but wanted to see in person rather than order online.  The colors looked lovely in the pans.  The consultant who worked with me was supposed to be an expert in matching colors to the client's complexion, eye color, etc. but I am underwhelmed with her choices and the shadows.

Trusted Contributor

@KentuckyWoman  "Beach Bronze, Sand Dollar and Velvet Plum".

Go to the Bobbi Brown website and you can see the colors.

Respected Contributor

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

@KentuckyWoman  "Beach Bronze, Sand Dollar and Velvet Plum".

Go to the Bobbi Brown website and you can see the colors.

Thank you!  The consultant I worked with actually recommended Heather.  I will check them out.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@winamac1I have heard Jill rave about BB cosmetics for several years but wanted to see in person rather than order online.  The colors looked lovely in the pans.  The consultant who worked with me was supposed to be an expert in matching colors to the client's complexion, eye color, etc. but I am underwhelmed with her choices and the shadows.

They do look lovely in the pans. The colors are gorgeous.  I just find them to be almost as "powdery" as mineral shadows, and on me...I have to use so much to see any pigment.

I have returned a few palettes I bought early on due to lack of pigment.  I won't buy her shadows anymore, but I'm always tempted by the beautiful shades she makes.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman

I know you asked about Bobbi Brown, but I am older than you are so I thought I might just offer my favorite for you to consider.  I also have dark brown eyes, and my eyelids have gotten darker as I have aged. At one time, I had deep brown, thick hair.  I now have salt and pepper - more salt than pepper and very thin.   I've always used brown eyeshadow and I never have used much makeup.  I did purchase, and I really like the IT summer pallete shadows. The darker color is a lilac color.  I was surprised that I liked them, but the colors really brightened up my eyes and there is no shimmer or shine in any of the colors. I use a light hand with the lillac so you just barely see the color.  You also get a great brush and the shadows and brush is only $29.  I also use the IT taupe eyeliner which is more of a nice brown and not jet black.  It works nicely with the eyeshadows and brown eyes.   

Even if you don't like the IT products, take a look at the colors and compare them when you go to your Bobbi Brown counter.  You might like the combination.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Georgiagrama.  I am really struggling to find an eyeshadow that I love right now.  I am open to all suggestions!  I usually wear browns and plums but I just want something to lighten up my eyes a bit.  I will definitely check out IT shadows.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman, I looked up the shades. Shell is a good light shade for the lid. But the other two, IMO, are not the best for mature eyes with dark or stained lids. I imagine they might end up looking muddy.

It would be wiser to stick with lighter, more brightening shades and steer away from anything that accentuates darkness. Depending upon your skintone, you might like a pale rose, lilac, or plum (not deep). But I would still use just a light neutral right above your lashes to help open your eyes.

And no, I am not a makeup artist. I just pretend. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland