Trusted Contributor

I was watching my stylist style my hair yesterday and I noticed she was using a different type of hairbrush.  I asked her what it was and she said it was a combination boar and nylon bristle brush.  I bought an expensive boar bristle hairbrush many years ago, used it twice and put it in my box of "beauty duds".  The boar and nylon brstle she was using did a great job on my hair.

My hair is in a longer pixie cut and is very thick and kind of coarse.

What kind of hairbrushes do you use and do you find a difference between expensive or mid priced brushes?

Thx!

Honored Contributor

Re: Boar Bristle Hairbrush...

I can't use 100% boar bristle, I learned the hard way that it just can't penetrate my thick hair all the way to the scalp. I need a combo brush with nylon and boar bristle. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

The best combo Boar/Nylon round brush I've ever used is Chaz Dean (Wen) Round Boar Brush. It comes in three sizes - small, medium and large. The most common in use is a medium size. Chaz uses this size 99% of the time in his salon.

After getting this brush I threw all my others away. It's excellent in a way of quality boar bristles and just the correct hight of nylon ones. It's ease to roll or lift a strand of hair, and it's easy to un-roll without hair tangling up in it.

Valued Contributor

The Mason Pearson mixed boars hair and nylon brushes are the best! Here's the key: these brushes are designed to be gentle--which prevents damage--and to distribute natural scalp oils through your hair. They come in different styles and sizes for different hair types. There are all-boar bristles for fine to normal hair, a mix of boar bristles and nylon for normal to thick hair, and an entirely nylon version for very thick hair.

Honored Contributor

@lianne wrote:

The Mason Pearson mixed boars hair and nylon brushes are the best! Here's the key: these brushes are designed to be gentle--which prevents damage--and to distribute natural scalp oils through your hair. They come in different styles and sizes for different hair types. There are all-boar bristles for fine to normal hair, a mix of boar bristles and nylon for normal to thick hair, and an entirely nylon version for very thick hair.

My hair is about shoulder length or shorter and the Junior size Mason Pearson works great for me.

Honored Contributor

I have used "Denman" brushes for yearsHeart

Valued Contributor

@lianne wrote:

@lianne wrote:

I agree that mixed boars hair and nylon brushes are great but Mason Pearson are ridiculously overpriced for a hairbrush. There is absolutely nothing magical about their combination that warrants the price that it does. There are other brands that dupe the Mason Pearson pretty well (and use the same exact materials) like Denman D81M (the grooming brush is available in 3 sizes). It is the same thing just a tiny fraction of the price. 

Valued Contributor

I have one by Cricket that I ordered on Amazon.  My stylist used it, so I use it now.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 large round boar bristle hairbrushes by iBeauty by Revecen that I bought at Winners in Canada. I would check TJ Maxx or Marshall's for the too. I'm not sure if they are mixed with nylon bristles or not. I like these as I have thick long wavy hair and this brush is easy to use on my hair. I alternate them, when one is dirty, I wash it and let it air dry while I use the clean brush. I keep a medium sized round one in my travel case and a small flat brush in my car's driver's side door pocket. Before I wash them by hand I use a narrow tooth comb to pull out all of my hair that ended up in the brush.

Respected Contributor

iI have the combo brush from walmart and l I ke it a lot. I prefer all nylon. But the boar is supoosed to healthier