Honored Contributor

No solution, but I can commiserate.  I've had fair, thin sensitive skin my whole life and not that I'm 71, the skin on my whole body is very thin and fragile.  Blood bruise like crazy.  My hands used to be so pretty.  I have long slender fingers and always had nice nails.  I used to get told how nice my hands looked.  No more.  The veins are really there for sure!  I keep my hands moisturized well but it's just age and that's that, I guess!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

No solution, but I can commiserate.  I've had fair, thin sensitive skin my whole life and not that I'm 71, the skin on my whole body is very thin and fragile.  Blood bruise like crazy.  My hands used to be so pretty.  I have long slender fingers and always had nice nails.  I used to get told how nice my hands looked.  No more.  The veins are really there for sure!  I keep my hands moisturized well but it's just age and that's that, I guess!  

@AngelPuppy1 When we discover a magic pill that thickens skin we'll be gazillionaires! Sounds like your description of your long fingers and pretty hands was describing me. It's a whole new ball game now.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline 

I have more prominent viens  on my right had than my left but I never looked at it as a problem.  I'm not going to start now.  I've got bigger problems.  The tretinoin is making me look OLDER!  I was wrinkle free and my complexion was smooth and plump.  I'm strongly considering quitting the tret Smiley Sad  I don't know if the wrinkles it caused will disappear.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline 

Many years ago my mother had her spider veins removed by a Dr.  I think it was a saline solution he injected in them.  Wonder if that would work on the hands.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining 

Here is what I do when I have to have blood drawn.  I tell them they get one chance so if they have any doubts, they might want to bring in someone else.  I think they are hesitant to stick the back on my hands because it hurts more.  Yes it does but it's better than "fishing" for a good spot Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Judaline 

I have more prominent viens  on my right had than my left but I never looked at it as a problem.  I'm not going to start now.  I've got bigger problems.  The tretinoin is making me look OLDER!  I was wrinkle free and my complexion was smooth and plump.  I'm strongly considering quitting the tret Smiley Sad  I don't know if the wrinkles it caused will disappear.

@monicakm I can't use retin A. After a year and a half I wised up and decided to bail out. THEN, all the wrinkles that I was holding back came out!!!! It took about i month I think. Instead of fighting peeling, red skin all that time, I now had lines. I'm sorry to say they didn't go away. There's a lesson to be learned here but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe don't start if you don't want to finish with Retin A. I just went with Luna by Sunday Riley, a pretty strong if you ask me, retinol. My skin looks very nice except the lines above my lips look worse. So on that area I put the retinol product I used to use, just there. I am afraid to ever stop using this Luna. I may have created a monster. But right now I really like it. 

Sorry about your wrinkles. I would hit the retinol road before they have a chance to stay. You might be able to stop them in their tracks. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline 

Thank you for this.  I'm sorry you had such a terrible reaction to the Retin-A.  I used Retinol for 3 years before starting tret and my complexion was beautiful, soft and plump.  And no wrinkles except for the tops of my cheeks when I smiled.

There's a lesson to be learned here but I'm not sure what it is

LOL. 

Do you know the strength/percentage of your retinol?  Dr Idress from YT said it needs to be at least 3%.  What I was using was either 2 or 2.5%

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Judaline 

Thank you for this.  I'm sorry you had such a terrible reaction to the Retin-A.  I used Retinol for 3 years before starting tret and my complexion was beautiful, soft and plump.  And no wrinkles except for the tops of my cheeks when I smiled.

There's a lesson to be learned here but I'm not sure what it is

LOL. 

Do you know the strength/percentage of your retinol?  Dr Idress from YT said it needs to be at least 3%.  What I was using was either 2 or 2.5%

@monicakm  No, I don't know the strength, but she has a stronger one so it probably isn't too strong. I once tried Paula's Choice retinol and I think it was 1%. It was wayyyyy too strong. I once read that it didn't matter what strength Retin A you used. It doesn't help to keep going higher. I never went higher so I don't know if that's true. I'm happy with my skincare now and I'm not making any changes. Trying not to read the beauty forum (well, that's hopeless) and get tempted but I'll keep trying.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marietherese1 wrote:

I've had thin, veined hands my whole life.  When I was still in my 20's, a little boy came up to me and said " Ooo you have witches hands!"  I pretty much gave up on my hands after that.

@Marietherese1 

Oh gee, what a story. 

When I was only 23, my mother in law was hospitalized and I was sitting by the bed holding her hand.  I looked down and realized that my hand looked older than her 50 year old hand! Like you, I kinda felt hopeless at that point.  My parents and grandparents had the same prominent veins, so for me it's inherited.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Judaline 

@monicakm  If I were you I would stop using it until the sensitivity subsides. In the interim, use a gentle hydrating cleanser and moisturize like crazy. Be conservative when you start back on the Tretinoin...1x per week increasing to 2x per week and so on. You can monitor how your skin is reacting. I think, originally, you were striving for instant gratification. I think the lines you are seeing are temporary caused by excessive dryness.