Honored Contributor

Re: Blemish removal tools --- anyone use these?

@AngelPuppy1  I think they can be useful for blackheads and whiteheads, when used and cared for properly.  Milia, though, is hard and under the skin.  The skin needs to be broken for it to come out.  The other thing is that milia is often around the eyes.  I'd avoid using the tool there because it would only take a jerk or uneven pressure causing the tool to slip and poke your eye.  Get yourself some Retin A (Tretinoin) cream and it will safely take care of the milia unless it's too close to the eye and you'll need a dermatologist to extract them. 

Honored Contributor

* I suggest cleaning these tools (if you all insist on doing it yourself) w/ alcohol and making sure your skin in those areas are cleaned as well. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a note. 

If doing this "self surgery"  yourself, it's difficult to really, watch your aim & depth & visual well, merely because of the angle you're looking at yourself in the mirror, plus balancing the tool also, incl & esp for milia. 

Those milia "buggers"  are deep!  No telling the exact depth of skin covering the milia,   let alone the depth of milia "pile" itself, when piercing yourself. 

Even piercing & removing white heads can leave scars (unheeled holes, or "pot marks"), if not applying some solution that "dries up" the white head itself, instead.

Serious Skin Care used to have a "pinkish at the bottom)" bottle of solution that is NOT SHAKEN, & applied to the white head, letting it dry up and close the pore itself, over a matter of days. 

There's perhaps other such solutions (or "white head dots") that others might recommend to apply to a white head, to heal & close itself.

When a kid, I did a major NO NO (I didnt know any better).   i would use the rounded loop end of a bobbypin to squeeze open a white head, or pimple, & as my skin stretched with age, a larger & larger "divot" has appeared on my face, where former "white heads" were opened by me. 

I wish I'd know better then, as a kid.  Too late for some of these "face divots" now

As an adult I learned abt the "blemish drying solution" for white heads & blemishes. Subsequently, I wld use Serious Skin Care's "pink at the bottom" bottle of blemish drying solution. (DONT SHAKE THE BOTTLE)

I'm sure there's other such "blemish drying solutions" now that other @Beauties here may know of.  I'd use this if I had white heads/blemishes now.  And "NO DIVOTS" left esp later.

Good luck!  I know those facial anomalies can be so irritating esp to look at!

(added)

I'm unfamiliar with the following Brand solution, but here's an example of such a "blemish drying solution" I was referencing. You *DO NOT SHAKE* the bottle and you "sterile dip a q-tip" into the PINK BOTTLE then apply to the blemish.

"Glossiva Drying Lotion, Acne Spot Treatment Dries Out Pimples, Blemishes, Zits, and Clogged Pores - Overnight Solution Powerful Ingredients 1.23 Fl Oz"

($14.50)  (Feedbacks:  1,794)  (Rating:  4.4 out of 5.0)

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn 

I have a bottle of 'Don't Shake' pink stuff from Kate Somerville.....but WHY don't we shake??

To be honest, I kinda give it a little shake!  Yes, I know it says don't...LOL, but I had it in my pin head you must need to mix it!

Do you know why you shouldn't shake?  I've been questioning that for a long time!

It helps with those  'tumors' that are lumps under the skin and don't really come to a head.

I'm not gonna shake it anymore cuz you said so but it seems to me...it would settle at the bottom???

TIA!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife 

HA!  Well, I have to force myself not to shake either.  EACH TIME! 

I guess it's natural for us to shake what seems like sediment.  Woman Happy

But seems somehow, "in my own pinhead," that the above solution has & continues to work on the effective "pink" solution at the bottom.  At least that's what I convinced myself of, in order NOT to shake the bottle, which continued to be my inclination!

BTW, i shook it before I knew *not to shake it,* and it doesnt work, at least not as well, when shaken,  heh

Glad it worked for you too! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

I just thought of another "trick" i use to cut down on "white heads, black heads, milia & blemishes."  I use a "clean side" of my white pillow cases each night. 

There's so much going on on our face, that can cause "betrayals" causing  "various blemishes" on our face, day-to-day, & night-to-night.  And that "going on"  includes, sleeping tonight, on last nights "lotions & potions" that one used on the face.

It's AMAZING how much just a clean side of a pillow helped with little to no anomaly blemishes on the face!! 

I wish I knew this when a kid.  I wish I knew this to tell my brothers, who had much worse acne problems as a teen, (of which they suffered awful humiliation for in school, & for dates)!

If a person cant use a clean side of a pillow case, I'm wondering if clean "paper towels" laid across the pillow (on top of a case) might work?? 

Anything to give the face a "clean surface," each night it's slept on. 

That was an *incredible revelation* to me, that I'd never heard of before!  Still dont hear of!  

This "clean side of pillowcase, each night" supremely wayy diminishes  any "anomaly blemishes" on my face! 

Honored Contributor

Please go to a dermatologist before you create a scar or bad infection.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi 

I hadn't thought of it that way!  I certainly hadn't planned on cutting muself open with any of these things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I understand.  I don't have any blackheads or whiteheads.  What I have are milia.  I have asked a couple derms about this and they just told me --- oh, don't worry about them.  They're not that noticeable.  Well, I'm not happy with them.  Anyway, I did steam my face and thought maybe I could try to open one up with the lancet but I couldn't do it.  I'm not about to cut deeply and injure myself or cause infection or scars!  I thought maybe if I just barely scraped the top I could dislodge the milia -- but no way!  So --- so much for that!  

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife 

I can see where the little loop tools would be useful on the blemishes.  I don't have the blackheads or whiteheads, just milia.  When I get blemishes, there are red and have no heads to them, so this would not work.  I tried the lancet on a milia as I have responded to Shanus but it didn't work so my experiment with that is done!