Honored Contributor

Re: Black eyeliner and mascara for blondes?

wrote:

I wear every color of eyeliner. Some look better than others but I enjoy being creative with eye makeup. I am fair with blonde hair, green eyes and I look fabulous with black eyeliner. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't really matter to me anyway.

@MissSugarKane. Yes, it’s always personal choice. I have fair skin, silver hair and green eyes...always wear blk. mascara and use blk. liner, but between my lashes & not on lid. I want my eye color to be the focus and colored liners (bright colors) distract from that. You tend to see liner first and eyes second.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I have blonde hair and green eyes.  I'm on the verge of turning 50.  I have always thought black liner was way too harsh for me but I love my black mascara.

I typically wear an aubergine or plum liner, maybe a coppery color once in a while.  Last year I picked up a Borghese liner called Graphite and I love it.  It's not a deep black.  It's more of a grayish black.  That I can do.      

@Lipstickdiva  Graphite or a dark charcoal grey are choices instead of black. 

For anyone thinking dark liner is too harsh, toss the pencil, gel liner or liquid liner and try using a liner brush in your darkest eye shadow. You can get the depth of color/definition, but not as dark as a penciled line.

Honored Contributor

@SANNA. Anyone trying a brown or purple liner & says it makes them look tired, that shade has too much red in it. It reacts w/ any red capillaries in the whites of eyes and exaggerates it. Look for a brownish black and a dark purple that is grayed out...muted. You get the hint of purple, but not the “hit” of any red.

Honored Contributor

lionesse--no I never did use any of those products and I have cra#ppy eye lashes to prove it------Cat Mad

Honored Contributor

funloving----not creeped out at all-----yes I lost all my hair ---everywhere---too. It came back but not on my legs and just  a little under arms----. the chemo I had was very strong----ACT it was called---, "the red devil" was the A part  and cytoxin, for 4  2 -week rounds, then weekly taxol for 12 weeks, then 33 days of rads. Seems like eons ago--------Lionesse and I are well aquatinted from the cancer board. You should stop by--we love new people

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@Himi lover. Just couldn’t copy that the long quote again. Another interesting point re: tightlining....A famous makeup artist (who has her own makeup line) Laura Mercier, began this technique as a way to give the look of lush lashes and bring focus to the eye more subtly than eyeliner.

Her technique involves using gel liner (in a pot) and a fat edged brush. She teaches placing the brush into the gel, wiping excess on back of hand, placing the brush under the top lashes above water line (easier if hold lid up slightly). Keeping the brush flat, continue the line underneath the lashes across the top lid.

****Probably more than you ever wanted to know when you posed the question.

Shanus

@Shanus

Yes, I remember that. I can just imagine the mess I’d make using gel liner. I think I’ll try a soft pencil. Do you think a soft brown or grey might look good, for tightlining?  I have blue/grey eyes, they are hooded (age), and I use a black mascara. I don’t want to use anything like a colored pencil.

@Funloving

I remember you from years ago. Do you remember all the rage about Bobbi Brown cosmetics? 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Himi lover. Just couldn’t copy that the long quote again. Another interesting point re: tightlining....A famous makeup artist (who has her own makeup line) Laura Mercier, began this technique as a way to give the look of lush lashes and bring focus to the eye more subtly than eyeliner.

Her technique involves using gel liner (in a pot) and a fat edged brush. She teaches placing the brush into the gel, wiping excess on back of hand, placing the brush under the top lashes above water line (easier if hold lid up slightly). Keeping the brush flat, continue the line underneath the lashes across the top lid.

****Probably more than you ever wanted to know when you posed the question.

Shanus

@Shanus

Yes, I remember that. I can just imagine the mess I’d make using gel liner. I think I’ll try a soft pencil. Do you think a soft brown or grey might look good, for tightlining?  I have blue/grey eyes, they are hooded (age), and I use a black mascara. I don’t want to use anything like a colored pencil.

@Funloving

I remember you from years ago. Do you remember all the rage about Bobbi Brown cosmetics? 

@Himi lover  I always use black for tightlining....especially if using black mascara. You don’t want to see that you’re trying to “fooling the eye” to see thicker lashes. 

Trusted Contributor

@Himi lover  I always use black for tightlining....especially if using black mascara. You don’t want to see that you’re trying to “fooling the eye” to see thicker lashes. 

@Shanus

Gotcha!  Thanks. 

Respected Contributor

Hi @Himi lover

I do remember!  Wasn't it mostly over the new bronzers that were more like blush- Antigua, Maui, etc.?  They had more bronzer colors too - with various shimmer levels.  Does that right a bell?  

Nice to see you!  Remind me if I'm right about above? haha.

Respected Contributor

@Shanusand others-

For me, black is the way to roll for tight-lining.  I might reach for other colors for water-line, and upper lower lining purposes.  Again, often I don't do anything other than tight-line and don't mess with eyeliner anywhere else.. that's why a good black is essential.  I do more eyeliner for night-time special events.