Respected Contributor

Re: Black eyeliner and mascara for blondes?

@wagirl-

Doing great here.  I've been following you..(that sounds creepy) I mean I haven't been stalking you, LOL, rather a while back I starting reading the BC thread.  I don't know why I never joined in.  Several times I meant to.  I thought for sure you were DX'ed before me.  I lost eyelashes, eyebrows and all body hair.  Of course the eyebrows and eyelashes grew back, but not the body hair, which is fine with me!  A random hair will pop out on my legs sometimes, but other than that I'ts sure saved on shaving legs and pits.  TMI, I know.

I had a very aggressive chemo cocktail with 2 more doses than normally given. I'm not complaining, believe me.  Elated we're both doing well!  Heart

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Beautiful but she is not blond

@SANNA.

Right. I was using it as an example of eye color only..

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I am blond, blue eyes, 56 years old. I always used to use black, but from my turning 50 I started to notice that it make me look older, too drastic and too tired.

So I switched to teal or darker blue ( NARS) for the upper lid and light,bright blue (NARS) for the insides of my lower lids.  Mascaras are also switched to blue by Ives St.Laurant.

I am happy with my look again and get complements all the time.

Here is my own eye with my colors, it’s my daytime work make up.EF5671D2-22FF-49C7-BDF0-DEE02F24F442.jpeg

Very pretty.  With your blue eyes you could easily do the same with other subtle liner shades keeping the softer daytime look.  A brown which is more bronze would really pop the blue of your eyes.  Have you ever tried that look @SANNA?. I like using blue on the water line too.  It makes the white of the eye look brighter, IMO.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I am blond, blue eyes, 56 years old. I always used to use black, but from my turning 50 I started to notice that it make me look older, too drastic and too tired.

So I switched to teal or darker blue ( NARS) for the upper lid and light,bright blue (NARS) for the insides of my lower lids.  Mascaras are also switched to blue by Ives St.Laurant.

Here is my own eye with my colors, it’s my daytime work make up.EF5671D2-22FF-49C7-BDF0-DEE02F24F442.jpeg

Very pretty.  With your blue eyes you could easily do the same with other subtle liner shades keeping the softer daytime look.  A brown which is more bronze would really pop the blue of your eyes.  Have you ever tried that look @SANNA?. I like using blue on the water line too.  It makes the white of the eye look brighter, IMO.

Tried, nothing brown or purple works for me, makes me look tired. I stick to blues, teals,greys now days. But thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  It's always a personal choice.  I like brown mascara especially for day wear because I like a softer look for someone my age.  Some women may not look good in brown mascara so you have to use what works for you.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Funloving @wagirl - another cancer survivor here and yes, I lost every hair on my body!  It's been 5 yrs this month and my prognosis was 3 yrs because of the progressive type of breast cancer I had, so I'm delighted to be around yet!!!

Anyway, the lash lengthening  products can change your eye color, it is a definite side effect.  My GD worked at a plastic surgeons office and tried a lot of products and procedures there.  One was the lash lengthening product and her gorgeous beautiful striking blue eyes got "duller".  One of the reasons I wouldn't try it.  

Pam did you ever try those kinds of products?  That could be the culprit if you did.  Otherwise, I do usually blame chemo for any unusual things I have wrong with me.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness-

Sounds very familiar... the very aggressive type...

Were you Triple Negative like me, per chance?

(love your name!)

It's a pleasure to meet you! 

Respected Contributor

@Funloving- indeed it was!  When my dr first was telling me the diagnosis, he said you don't have this and you don't have that (receptors), you have what is called triple negative.  I thought that's great, I don't have all those bad things.......then he explained what TNBC was and my heart just dropped. Ended up, it had spread to the lymph nodes.  Stage II, Grade 3.  

About my name - when I was going through the intense chemo, it was hitting me so hard, my dear oncologist told me to keep on going like the Lioness I was being so far and I got this mental picture of a brave lioness chasing prey for her little ones, ferocious and determined to conquer this merciless battle, and hence the name.  I believe all of us who have gone through this are lionesses!

Nice to meet you too and you are more than welcome to pop in over on the cancer thread anytime you want. Heart

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@SANNA  I apologize in advance if I offend you. You have beautiful blue eyes, but all I see is eye makeup. If you wore more neutral colors like greys, pale taupe, apricot, camel tones with a med. to dark brown or charcoal grey (best choice) very thin liner, your blue eye color would be seen first...Once lines or puffiness appear under the eyes, it’s time to eliminate a definite line (especially a color) underneath. If you need definition, try a fine line of the powder shadow you use as a lid color. Lastly, any time you line inside the lid, the eye appears smaller. Draw the lighter shade underneath the lashes and go a little less heavy w/ mascara...comb through the clumpy areas. Eye makeup should enhance not distract from the eye. 

Judging from the slight hooded lid & a little puffy under eye area (like mine), the makeup you applied is much too heavy for over 40....especially for a daytime work look. 

Sorry to be what I always am....honest.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I think if is a personal thing.  I have silver hair, fair skin and green eyes.  I wear black eyeliner and mascara.  I do my eyes up and make them my feature..... 

@bonnielu  Same coloring here....and same eye makeup. There’s a reason brown mascara is so difficult to find. After a certain age, any colored liner (blue, purple, teal....like Mally’s & Geller’s 10pc. sets) are a no.

The focus should be on the eye color, not on the eye makeup. If black liner is too harsh, try a brown/black or dark charcoal. The thinner the line, the better...placed down into the lashes leaving no skin showing between lid and liner. 

The purpose of liner is to make lashes look thicker & more lush. Blue, green & other colored liners that are not close to a lash color, can’t do that...it defeats the purpose of wearing liner completely. 

Another trick to make lashes look defined and more natural is to wipe off the mascara wand lightly on a tissue before application. One coat is sufficient for day.

Models on Q are so way overdone because they’re trying to sell product. Do not copy those looks or techniques. They’re on tv and exaggerate the products so they show up even more.