Honored Contributor

Re: Black eyeliner and mascara for blondes?

@lavendar   Laura Mercier's Caviar eye stick has two colors you might be interested in -- Burnished Bronze and Copper.  These sticks are eye shadow and eye liner.  You can smudge them and they are absolutely wonderful.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Black and sometimes dark brown are way too harsh for Blondes.     I'm blonde and very fair as far as complexion and I finally settled on a taupe or copper that I feel suit me.   IT makes these shades and they are super hard to find.   I've also used a 'mushroom' color from Urban Decay and I use a brown mascara.

Respected Contributor

Kitcat: how do you use the Caviar Stick for liner? They do have a copper liner pencil.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  My personal opinion is after a certain age, black liner looks harsh. That said, I do use a black, waterproof pencil to tightline (make tiny connected dots in between my lashes to make lashes look thicker). Then I use one coat of black mascara (for day, wipe the wand on tissue first to get a lighter application, for night, straight from tube).

*******To make lashes look more luxurious for evening, lightly apply your setting powder to lashes w/ clean mascara wand or spooly end of brow brush before mascara. 

I’m not a blonde, but went from dying my dark brown hair to letting it grow out naturally white. After tightlining w/ black pencil, if I rarely line upper lid, I use brown or dark charcoal grey (have green eyes).

@Shanus

Or, anyone else?

Hi Shanus, is there a certain product you use that is made specifically for tightlining?

I’ve never used eyeliner above my lashes. I tried tightlining when it was introduced on the Q many yrs ago. But, it always transferred to my lower lid. I gave up. Do they have any new products that don’t do that?

I’m blonde, and use black mascara. My eyes are rather deepset (blue/grey) and I think it makes them pop a little more, but I don’t put a lot on, where the lashes are sticking together. I’d like to start tightlining again. 

I also used Careprost several years ago, and what a difference it made to my lashes!  I want to start using it again. 

Spoiler
@Himi lover  Hi. For tightlining, I use any good waterproof eyeliner pencil. One of the best I’ve found is any of Mally’s black liners. ****Hint: If liner’s ending up on bottom lid, you may be getting more liner on waterline than actually between top lashes.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  My personal opinion is after a certain age, black liner looks harsh. That said, I do use a black, waterproof pencil to tightline (make tiny connected dots in between my lashes to make lashes look thicker). Then I use one coat of black mascara (for day, wipe the wand on tissue first to get a lighter application, for night, straight from tube).

*******To make lashes look more luxurious for evening, lightly apply your setting powder to lashes w/ clean mascara wand or spooly end of brow brush before mascara. 

I’m not a blonde, but went from dying my dark brown hair to letting it grow out naturally white. After tightlining w/ black pencil, if I rarely line upper lid, I use brown or dark charcoal grey (have green eyes).

@Shanus

Or, anyone else?

Hi Shanus, is there a certain product you use that is made specifically for tightlining?

I’ve never used eyeliner above my lashes. I tried tightlining when it was introduced on the Q many yrs ago. But, it always transferred to my lower lid. I gave up. Do they have any new products that don’t do that?

I’m blonde, and use black mascara. My eyes are rather deepset (blue/grey) and I think it makes them pop a little more, but I don’t put a lot on, where the lashes are sticking together. I’d like to start tightlining again. 

I also used Careprost several years ago, and what a difference it made to my lashes!  I want to start using it again. 

Spoiler
@Himi lover  Hi. For tightlining, I use any good waterproof eyeliner pencil. One of the best I’ve found is any of Mally’s black liners. ****Hint: If liner’s ending up on bottom lid, you may be getting more liner on waterline than actually between top lashes.

@Shanus

Ahh...that is the trick. I’ve been getting too much on waterline. You’re supposed to smush between lashes. Then I’ve been doing it wrong. My Kohl’s nearby sells Mally. I’ll check into their liners. Thank you!  There is a difference in some pencils. Some are hard, some glide on. Any suggestions there?  I see you are talking waterproof. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Shanus

Or, anyone else?

Spoiler

@Shanus

Ahh...that is the trick. I’ve been getting too much on waterline. You’re supposed to smush between lashes. Then I’ve been doing it wrong. My Kohl’s nearby sells Mally. I’ll check into their liners. Thank you!  There is a difference in some pencils. Some are hard, some glide on. Any suggestions there?  I see you are talking waterproof. 

@Himi lover  You definitely want a softer pencil. I begin in the middle of top lashes, looking straight ahead into mirror, start placing dots/dashes in a smudging motion between lashes. Be sure to go all the way towards tear duct. I stop just short of the end of my lid so I can create lift w/ just my mascara on those last few lashes. If you’re younger, you can continue the tightline to the end of lid. When finished, if you can still see “dots”, use a smudger type brush or q tip to blend between lashes. Since you’re using a waterproof pencil, this step must be done in the 30 sec. you have before it sets. ****For additional info: watch videos on YouTube about tightlining. Have fun. 😉

Honored Contributor

@Himi lover. Just couldn’t copy that the long quote again. Another interesting point re: tightlining....A famous makeup artist (who has her own makeup line) Laura Mercier, began this technique as a way to give the look of lush lashes and bring focus to the eye more subtly than eyeliner.

Her technique involves using gel liner (in a pot) and a fat edged brush. She teaches placing the brush into the gel, wiping excess on back of hand, placing the brush under the top lashes above water line (easier if hold lid up slightly). Keeping the brush flat, continue the line underneath the lashes across the top lid.

****Probably more than you ever wanted to know when you posed the question.

Shanus

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Bird mama   I love brown mascara too and I use Origins brown mascara which is under $20.  It gives length and volume.  Cat Happy

@Katcat1  Although my hair is now white, skin still fair (more so now since skin loses melanin as hair does), my brows and lashes are still med./dk. brown. If I don’t use a darker liner between lashes and dark brown, charcoal in a fine smudged above + black mascara, I have no color contrast on my face at all. 

It’s an idividual choice. Brown or darker eyes give more definition to blondes or women with grey hair. Mine are olive green....Have to play around with color liners, mascara colors until you find what works. 

I personally do not like colored liners (blue, green, purple teal, etc.) on women “of a certain age”....this term refers to anyone beginning to see signs of aging around eye. It draws attention to that area in a negative way instead of adding definition.

Honored Contributor

I have blonde hair and green eyes.  I'm on the verge of turning 50.  I have always thought black liner was way too harsh for me but I love my black mascara.

I typically wear an aubergine or plum liner, maybe a coppery color once in a while.  Last year I picked up a Borghese liner called Graphite and I love it.  It's not a deep black.  It's more of a grayish black.  That I can do.      

Respected Contributor

I am blond, blue eyes, 56 years old. I always used to use black, but from my turning 50 I started to notice that it make me look older, too drastic and too tired.

So I switched to teal or darker blue ( NARS) for the upper lid and light,bright blue (NARS) for the insides of my lower lids.  Mascaras are also switched to blue by Ives St.Laurant.

I am happy with my look again and get complements all the time.