Honored Contributor

Re: Black eyeliner and mascara for blondes?

I'm a natural redhead and I have to search long and hard for brown mascara.  Not brown/black - BROWN mascara.  Lucky for me I can find liners that are not harsh colored.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm blonde, fair skin, light green eyes and 75.  I would never consider wearing black eyeliner or mascara.  Entirely too harsh (and dramatic) for my personal look.

Respected Contributor

I am dark blonde with highlights. Green eyes and very fair pink skin. Brows and lashes naturally blond.

Saw a picture of me wearing black mascara. That did it.

Browns are the only mascara I wear. Brown mascara with bronze colored liner bring out the green in eyes.

Use "Just for Redheads" website. 

Can anyone recommend a bronze liner?

Honored Contributor

Light brown hair, blue eyes, light to medium skin tone, and over 50 -- I prefer black mascara. I use only that those that give a natural look (no fat spider legs).

There is black eyeliner, and then there is black eyeliner. If you look at UD's lineup of their 24/7 pencils, you'll see at least a half dozen variations.

I will sometimes use milder black or "smoke" pencil on top. Most of the time, I prefer plums or greens in varying shades.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is just my opinion but I think black eyeliner looks a bit harsh on everyone.  I prefer soft browns, taupes,  and bronzes.  Right now I am loving Estee Lauder Burgundy Suede from the long wearing Double Wear line.   Lovely shade and not too harsh.  I have tried wearing Bobby Brown gel liner with a brush but I just can't do it.  I got the charcoal and it looked hideous on me.  I have dark brown eyes and light/medium complexion.  I just prefer a good pencil that is long wearing and waterproof.

I can't wear liquid eyeliner.  I like a smudged look and I can't get that with liquid.

Super Contributor

I have pale blue eyes and blonde hair with med-light skin. When I was younger, I could rock tons of charcoal eyeliner and black mascara.  I'm 69 now and about 10 years ago, I discovered Bobbi Brown's gel eyeliner, which I love because it's the only one that does not leave an imprint above my eyes and I find it the easiest for me to apply, using the recommended brush..  I labsolutely love the Sepia Ink 2 color, which is a deep but soft black brown.  I usually wear a black-brown mascara, too.  I've noticed that the young sales ladies always encourage me to go for the black eyeliner, but I think that looks harsh and aging on me.

Regular Contributor

I wear every color of eyeliner. Some look better than others but I enjoy being creative with eye makeup. I am fair with blonde hair, green eyes and I look fabulous with black eyeliner. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't really matter to me anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a brunette and I prefer charcoal eyeliner to any other color. I have narrow eyelids to start with and black eyeliner makes my eyes look beady. Because I have black eyelashes and dark brown brows I will use either a brown/black mascara or a black one. I prefer a brown/black mascara though as black can look harsh.

Trusted Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  My personal opinion is after a certain age, black liner looks harsh. That said, I do use a black, waterproof pencil to tightline (make tiny connected dots in between my lashes to make lashes look thicker). Then I use one coat of black mascara (for day, wipe the wand on tissue first to get a lighter application, for night, straight from tube).

*******To make lashes look more luxurious for evening, lightly apply your setting powder to lashes w/ clean mascara wand or spooly end of brow brush before mascara. 

I’m not a blonde, but went from dying my dark brown hair to letting it grow out naturally white. After tightlining w/ black pencil, if I rarely line upper lid, I use brown or dark charcoal grey (have green eyes).

@Shanus

Or, anyone else?

Hi Shanus, is there a certain product you use that is made specifically for tightlining?

I’ve never used eyeliner above my lashes. I tried tightlining when it was introduced on the Q many yrs ago. But, it always transferred to my lower lid. I gave up. Do they have any new products that don’t do that?

I’m blonde, and use black mascara. My eyes are rather deepset (blue/grey) and I think it makes them pop a little more, but I don’t put a lot on, where the lashes are sticking together. I’d like to start tightlining again. 

I also used Careprost several years ago, and what a difference it made to my lashes!  I want to start using it again. 

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama   I love brown mascara too and I use Origins brown mascara which is under $20.  It gives length and volume.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength