Honored Contributor

Re: Black eyeliner and mascara for blondes?

@Nataliesgramma, it's a bit hard to tell without seeing your coloring.  Some dramatic brunettes seem to be able to carry off the black, far longer than other people.

In general, I do think softer colors are more flattering as we get older, most definitely if our coloring is light. My brows are light brown, skin is pale.  My eyes are not especially light, they're a medium slightly "muddy" blue gray.  But brown, taupe, bronze, soft navy and light charcoal liners are the most flattering.  Black mascara does look harsh on me, while brown or navy looks flattering and natural.

Honored Contributor

I use powder and a small brush. It is never hard  looking, or too much...I saw it on line ,and  for me, it is softer and more natural looking

Honored Contributor

I am over 50 with fair skin & dark blonde highlighted hair. I used black mascara and eyeliner when I was younger. In my 40s I switched to brown/black mascaras. I think a lot depends on the application. I have never worn heavy dark eye makeup, but I see it on younger and older women where I live. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, I am a blonde also but that's not my natural color. My skintone is medium and I don't look good in blackliner even though the experts claim everyone can wear black. One exception is that I can wear Laura Geller's After Midnight with silver shimmer in it. Other than that I tend to go with green, purple or brown. Oh I also like gray.

Honored Contributor

I think the harshness if using a black liner comes from lining the entire lower lid. I use (if I am using a black liner on that day) a thin line in the outer corner half to 1/4 below the lid. I also use a very thin line on upper lid across the entire lid. My lashes are dark so with mascara & the black pencil, it looks well. 

Brown would work with blondes but again the lighter briwn over the deep walnut, chestnut shades.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma- I have found the perfect solution to this - it is Mally's Evercolor Gel Waterproof Liner in Shadow.  It's not really black, but a darkish gray.  It's not matt, has a bit of a sheen to it, no sparkle or glimmer.  I can't do matt anywhere on my eyes or they look older than my 69 yrs.

I am blond and I can't do a true black or brown.  Black is too harsh and browns and purples make my under eyes look redish - not a good look.  The greens and blues I can wear, but just wanted something for "everyday".  This is perfect, I love it.  Now watch, it will be discontinued.

Honored Contributor

I'd use charcoal or plum which aren't as harsh.

Here is a tutorial you may like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohen8_Qq2jA

Respected Contributor

I think any color applied too heavily looks harsh.  I have blond highlites and wear black most of the time.  I have a couple of outspoken friends who would tell me if I looked bad, so I know all is good.  I love makeup and I like applying according to my mood.  It's fun! 

Esteemed Contributor

I think if is a personal thing.  I have silver hair, fair skin and green eyes.  I wear black eyeliner and mascara.  I do my eyes up and make them my feature..... 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma   Check out Laura Mercier's Caviar stick eye color.  They are excellent.  You can smudge them which is a really nice look or leave alone.  I would suggest a dark gray color for you or a taupe color or the amethyst.  This product is worth the money.  It is a softer look that looks better on us mature women.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength