Honored Contributor

@Tangocash wrote:

Can one take too much of this? I have not studied this at all. I also have peripheral neuropathy, and have not heard anything about taking anything to make it better.

Biotin is water soluble and generally considered safe because whatever your body doesn’t use will be eliminated via one’s urine. However, someone taking super high amounts can develop a skin rash. 

Honored Contributor

On advice of my Derm, I take 10,000 mcg. a day for hair thinning and it's made a huge difference for me.

Having stronger nails that actually can grow to a good length was an unexpected bonus!

I'm very happy with my results from taking it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I also take 10000 mcg daily, I found a brand on amazon that is very reasonable and is in caps that dont contain magnesium stearate, supposedly more natural. I think the brand is called Bestvite, i got a bottle of 240 for $10.49, and ships free even for people without Prime, like myslf

Valued Contributor

I was taking Biotin for a number of reasons--fibromyalgia being one. I stopped taking it when I developed subacute thyroiditis last year as it has an affect on the blood test results for the thyroid. Perhaps it was helping the fibromyalgia but I have not gone back to it. 

Honored Contributor

@msgb, there is no reason to stop taking it.  I would expect you know when you're going to have your blood drawn for your thyroid checkups.  Just stop taking it a few days before and you should be good to go.  That's what I do anytime I know I'm going to get my blood drawn.  If you have to get a blood draw that you weren't prepared for be sure to tell them you're taking Biotin. 

It's not that the Biotin is doing anything bad.  It's that the test itself uses Biotin in it's process and the extra Biotin in your bloodstream throws the results off.  it's not just thyroid tests.  There are heart tests that also use Biotin in the process.  

Respected Contributor

@Tangocash wrote:

Can one take too much of this? I have not studied this at all. I also have peripheral neuropathy, and have not heard anything about taking anything to make it better.

My endocrinologist told me not to take more than 5,000mcg. per day.

Honored Contributor

I would say that 10,000 mcg is about the max daily dosage, I think I do take a bit more than that since it is included in a few supp I take. Any excess is eliminated through your urine, it is water soluable. 

Respected Contributor

I stopped taking Biotin.  I had gained a few pounds, and couldn't get it back down, which was very odd for me since I don't usually gain weight, and stay steady at the same number and I'm small and on the petite side.  I mentioned this to my dr during my last recent bloodwork in October.   Turned out Biotin had effects on my thyroid, and lab included notes that the Biotin was interfering with my thyroid.   I quickly stopped the Biotin, and after one week my weight went down to usual number.  I also haven't seen any decline in the condition of hair or nails...everything looks just as healthy as before.   So NO MORE BIOTIN FOR ME!

Also, I googled this and read many experienced weight gain with Biotin.