Valued Contributor
Has anyone ever tried biotin applied topically? I have been taking biotin for a couple years now, and really do not think it is doing anything. I started to wonder if applying it directly to the scalp might be of some benefit. I noticed some shampoos and conditioners advertise they contain biotin. The biotin I take is in liquid form (in a gelatin capsule). I might try breaking one open and gently massaging a little onto thin areas? Does this sound reasonable?
Honored Contributor
I wouldn't count on biotin doing anything for hair or nail growth. I took it for over a year and it did nothing for me. Have you researched it on the web to answer your question?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Biotin helps my nails but does nothing for my hair.

Contributor

I am having hair loss from hyperthryoid condition and am on med to treat that condition. While the endo doc recommended biotin when I complained that the meds were causing significant hair loss, I found on line the recommendation from some persons with thryoid issues, the idea that evening primrose oil might help.

Now I got the biotin, but started first evening primrose oil, which is in the softgel cap form. In consumer reviews of biotin, read more about nails than hair and the evening primrose bottle says for "hormonal balance and help maintain healthy look skin". So who knows. Trying just one as opposed to both, would let me know what works or not. And it have to be taken for a bit to determine that. I thought to myself if no unpleasant side effects, worth a try. Too soon to tell as I have just started over the last week or so.

Am interested to see what others have to say on this?

Honored Contributor

Biotin makes my scalp i%ch terribly. I can't take it. I scratch like crazy. I can't take A.L. HHSN due to biotin either.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

n/m

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

I take capsule Biotin. I had my hair done the other day and my hairdresser said my hair is growing and in good shape. Lots of new hair growth.

The amount of hair loss in the shower is minimal. I have noticed a difference since I have been taking it daily.

Valued Contributor

I started taking Natures Bounty Hair/Skin & Nails about a month ago.They had the 30 day challenge...Well,at 1st I didn't think it was doing anything..I am a Nail Biter..I know not good..well,I had bitten all my nails down..I started to take the capsules and just the other day I noticed that my nails were growing..No polish..no help...my hairdresser says my hair is in the best condition it's been in years..It's growing like crazy. I color my hair double process..I don't know,but I think it's the stuff I'm taking...So,I bought another bottle of it...I guess it can't hurt...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

These posts about women getting no results from biotin puzzles me. I've been taking it for years and I can barely keep up with trimming my nails and hair. I need a haircut every 3 to 4 weeks. And, my nails are hard as a rock. If I don't keep them filed down, it takes a lot of strength to use the clippers on them. A few months ago my husband started taking biotin for splitting nails, which it has helped, but now he is starting to complain about needing a haircut too often.

Honored Contributor

I take the max of 10,000 mcg daily, no real results.