Honored Contributor

Bill To Ban Microbeads In New York State

Reading an article in my local paper New York is introducing a bill to ban Microbeads from beauty products such as facial scrubs, shampoos, soaps, and toothpaste. These small plastic particles cited on ingredient lists as polyethylene or polypropylene can absorb toxins, and, if eaten by fish make it into the food chain. These beads are so small they wash down drains, pass through sewage treatment plants and are discharged into fresh and saltwater bodies. California is considering a similar measure.
Contributor

Re: Bill To Ban Microbeads In New York State

Interesting. Did they mention a replacement? I've read that the crushed nut shells, can scratch the skin, since they're not as smooth as the beads. Thanks for the info.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info! I had no idea that was an issue and will work to avoid these from now on, especially if it means not getting attached to a product that may be discontinued or banned.

Super Contributor

On 2/11/2014 kiss_p said:

Interesting. Did they mention a replacement? I've read that the crushed nut shells, can scratch the skin, since they're not as smooth as the beads. Thanks for the info.

There are a lot of "natural" (like nut shells) used in DIY scrubs, but to me, nothing works like the microbeads!

Good for New York and California for looking into this. We are harming the planet in ways that don't even occur to us.

I wonder what would work in place of the microbeads? Maybe some seeds -- chia or black sesame?

Valued Contributor

Interesting. I wonder if these are in my Philosophy microdelivery wash?
Honored Contributor

Here's an article about it from an NYC CBS Affiliate: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/02/11/ny-legislation-would-ban-plastic-microbeads-in-facial-scrubs-...

It also says that "Three leading cosmetic companies — Proctor and Gamble, Unilever and Colgate-Palmolive — have made commitments to phase out use of microbeads"

Regular Contributor

This came up on my facebook newsfeed about a year ago. The artical was to warn people not to use scrubs with this in it. I thought back then we would hear more about this on the news or something.

Reading this post is the only other time I have seen this has come up. I hope the word gets out about this.

Honored Contributor

No the article didn't mention anything about what could replace the beads. I'm going to miss them as I use some scrubs and cleanser that have the beads in them.

Honored Contributor

Sugar works as well as any cosmetic scrub on the market

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

On 2/11/2014 MarenSeattle said:

There are a lot of "natural" (like nut shells) used in DIY scrubs, but to me, nothing works like the microbeads!

Good for New York and California for looking into this. We are harming the planet in ways that don't even occur to us.

I wonder what would work in place of the microbeads? Maybe some seeds -- chia or black sesame?

I agree!!