Esteemed Contributor

Beware old stock in stores - Estee Edit

If you shop at stores like T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, or Winners in Canada you no doubt see a lot of Estee Lauder owned brands show up there. But beware of old stock including that from the Estee Edit line which was discontinued in the fall of 2017. Nearly 2 years later inventory which was made in 2016 is still showing up at Winners and T.J. Maxx.

Generally the shelf life of an unopened beauty product is 3 years from the date of manufacture and I saw cleansing balms that were manufactured in January 2016 today according to their batch code. I always use the Checkfresh website for E. L. products since those batch codes do show up on Checkfresh so you can tell how old or how new the inventory is.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Beware old stock in stores - Estee Edit

Batch codes and expiration dates are certainly very important.  However, having been in marketing at EL, batch codes and expiration dates are not the "be all and end all".  One must use their senses to ascertain if  there is an unusual scent, unusual texture or consistency to cosmetics and fragrances.  Just because a date batch code translates to a product that is 3 or 4 years old does not mean we should automatically throw it in the trash.  

Mascara, is my only exception to the above.  

I'm sure many of us have eyeshadow and fragrances more than 10 years old....lipsticks more than 5 years old....it's very easy to know when to toss.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder to be aware of beauty products in discount resale stores.  I never buy beauty in those stores for that reason.

Contributor

Thanks for the reminder @TY !

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've wondered if the Cosmetics Company you might see in a mall is offering expired products or counterfiets.