Trusted Contributor

Re: Beware: Shopping at Pottery Barn

For some reason, I have always been under the impression that there is a law that says they have to give you sale price if you bring it to their attention within a specified time. Maybe its only here in New York.

Honored Contributor

No worries for me as I live in Pennsylvania. The PA law states that if an item is reduced in price within 10 days of purchase, the store must refund the difference. If you paid cash, they refund in cash too.

All you need is the original sales receipt

You might want ti check the laws in the state where you live. Most stores are not going to tell you and perhaps the sales person is not aware of the law.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I went to Costco to purchase a Blu Ray player. A nice salesman told me that it would go on sale that next week. There were not many on the shelf, so I mentioned that I'd buy it that day, and then go to CS and get the difference in price. He informed me that Costco is changing that policy and would not refund the difference. I mentioned that I could return it on that day and buy it again, and he agreed, the new policy made no sense. I think the "sense" it makes is that there is a percentage of people that won't bother to go the extra steps to save the difference in the price. - Bird
Trusted Contributor

If an item goes on sale within a few days of my purchase, I do think they should honor the sale price, as many stores do. I realize, however, that they aren't obliged to do so and it wouldn't stop me from shopping there.

Times aren't as wonderful as the mainstream media would have us think and stores are tightening up. I've also noticed most retailers don't stock large supplies of items much anymore.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/19/2014 misschristy said:

If an item goes on sale within a few days of my purchase, I do think they should honor the sale price, as many stores do. I realize, however, that they aren't obliged to do so and it wouldn't stop me from shopping there.

Times aren't as wonderful as the mainstream media would have us think and stores are tightening up. I've also noticed most retailers don't stock large supplies of items much anymore.

Actually, I have family in the fashion industry and profits are going through the roof for most. It depends on the brands. For instance, COACH closed about 80 stores this year but then again they have been struggling for several years. Most people would not know this unless they are in the business. Stores such as Nordstrom and many other high end stores & designer stores have seen their stock explode. Retail is one of the first places to suffer when the economy is not good. The economy has made a huge comeback and its showing in retail profits, the cost of homes have bounced back, the stock market is exploding. Maybe we don't read or watch the same news and invest in the same places.

Honored Contributor

On 12/19/2014 The Bird said: I went to Costco to purchase a Blu Ray player. A nice salesman told me that it would go on sale that next week. There were not many on the shelf, so I mentioned that I'd buy it that day, and then go to CS and get the difference in price. He informed me that Costco is changing that policy and would not refund the difference. I mentioned that I could return it on that day and buy it again, and he agreed, the new policy made no sense. I think the "sense" it makes is that there is a percentage of people that won't bother to go the extra steps to save the difference in the price. - Bird

Costco will give you the difference but only if it goes on sale within 7 or 10 days I can't remember which but they aren't changing that policy.

Super Contributor

On 12/19/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 12/19/2014 The Bird said: I went to Costco to purchase a Blu Ray player. A nice salesman told me that it would go on sale that next week. There were not many on the shelf, so I mentioned that I'd buy it that day, and then go to CS and get the difference in price. He informed me that Costco is changing that policy and would not refund the difference. I mentioned that I could return it on that day and buy it again, and he agreed, the new policy made no sense. I think the "sense" it makes is that there is a percentage of people that won't bother to go the extra steps to save the difference in the price. - Bird

Costco will give you the difference but only if it goes on sale within 7 or 10 days I can't remember which but they aren't changing that policy.

No. That was the employee's point. The policy has changed on some items. - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 Q4U said:
On 12/18/2014 Scotnovel said:
On 12/18/2014 Kathleen said:

I like Pottery Barn. I shop there in person - don't worry about returns and price changes. Policy changes won't effect me.

I agree and frankly I don't expect a company to give me credit when something I've purchased goes on sale soon after my purchase. I just don't have time to monitor that type of thing and I don't believe companies have any obligation to honor a sales price when the item was not on sale at the time of my purchase. I bought an item at a price I was willing to pay and if it later goes on sale (as many products do) well so be it.

I agree and feel my time (keeping up with pricing and other stores, bringing it back, etc.) is worth a lot as well....

Once I buy something, I rarely ever bring it back.....

I'm more apt to frequent a store with customer friendly policies like price adjustments within a certain time frame after purchase, and after years of working in retail management, I know this makes for good business. Most people won't watch and expect a price adjustment, but it is really very little loss for the company to accomodate those that do, and keeps happy customers (the goal of retail is to keep customers, as it is much cheaper than attracting new ones).

Trusted Contributor

A couple of months ago, I wanted to return something I had received on line, thinking I could return to the store and not have to pay return shipping. They told me that they will do that as a courtesy to me, but that they are two different entities and they could not issue me a credit. I had to wait for them to send me a gift card in the mail (which is still sitting here). I was surprised at this practice in this day and age, but...oh well. I like Pottery Barn and will find something to use that gift card on.

Honored Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Vamp said:

A couple of months ago, I wanted to return something I had received on line, thinking I could return to the store and not have to pay return shipping. They told me that they will do that as a courtesy to me, but that they are two different entities and they could not issue me a credit. I had to wait for them to send me a gift card in the mail (which is still sitting here). I was surprised at this practice in this day and age, but...oh well. I like Pottery Barn and will find something to use that gift card on.

I've returned things to the store that I've bought on line several times. They never questioned it, and I did not have to take a gift card. They just credited my credit card.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau