Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware: Shopping at Pottery Barn

Re: Kathypet - what's the purpose and what is gained by attacking a poster about

WHERE a thread is listed? I see this all the time and I have been attacked because I didn't see the ""correct"" QVC heading.

Merry Christmas (hope I posted THIS in the correct slot)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't care what thread it's in - but I also don't care about PB's policy switch - as long as they post their policy or tell me about it so I know what I'm facing when I buy.

Trusted Contributor

fthunt : ITA! I just can't see why pointing something out like this is necessary.
Trusted Contributor

I've never returned an item to get a lower sale price in my life! I price-compare before I buy, make my best deal, and go with it. I don't blame P.B. (or any retailer) for not issuing credits to customers who bought items at higher prices. It must be a huge, costly hassle for the few retailers who do it, and I don't see any obligation for a retailer to offer the same level of sale prices all the time. The whole rationale for a sale is to move out merchandise and to bring customers into the store to take advantage of lower prices during the special event, right? This isn't a service I expect.

Valued Contributor

I had a horrible experience ordering curtains and the gear to hang them several years ago. Every single thing arrived in a different box stretched out over an unacceptable length of time. Pathetic. I won't make the mistake of ordering from them again.

Honored Contributor

I have shopped at Pottery Barn for many years now. In the last few days I noticed a few pricing tricks of theirs. There was a lamp base I was considering that went on sale 2 days ago for $105. The next day the price was up and today the price is higher so I figure that's why they are offering free shipping as they are adjusting prices on many items but I certainly do not know which other ones or how many. I did notice that JJill was giving free shipping any order & 30% off. That's a first for them. I think that last year retailers did not do as well as expected and this year they are offering discounts & free shipping to bring in the sales IMO. Some of the retailers are being honest about and others are making adjustments elsewhere to still make more money. If I was not interested in a lamp I would have never noticed the price change with Pottery Barn.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Wow, some of you must have money, literally, to burn. If there is a price break within the posted return period on the item, I return the item to the store for the price adjustment. If I can take the time to make the initial purchase I can surely take the time to return the item for the lower adjusted purchase. In the time just spent scanning today's threads posted on this forum I could have easily driven to three nearby shopping malls to get a price adjustment on an item. I don't want to be taken advantage of financially and would never brag that the money I spent on a retail item was offered at a fair price since I paid it, and that I would not return to get a lower price if it was offered. The retail game is called capitalism and if you don't learn the mechanics of it you are playing into the hands of the retailers as they want you to. Be smart. Be informed. A lower price on a purchased item is money in your pocket. My goodness I have brought back items for price adjustments that have been in the hundreds to thousands of dollars as well as lesser items where I saved $10-$20. You obviously have far more money than I do and your time must be terribly precious. The retailers love customers like you! And so do their stockholders.

Contributor

I'm all about saving $ too. I will patronize retailers whom will price guarantee more than those who won't. Granted I mainly shop online now so is easier for me to catch such price reductions.

HSN & Sephora each have given me credits when a price dropped within 30 days of my purchasing it. I've heard ShopHQ will do the same.

For retailers whom offer returns within "x" period, I don't see what is unreasonable in checking to see if they will price match within that timeframe. If I ever have a retailer turn me down, I don't think I would return the item but I would be less inclined to spend my money there going forward.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh for heaven's sakes where did I personally attack the OP???? just seems to me that a post about Pottery Barn would get more attention in Viewpoints or For the Home forums then in the Beauty forum. I really don't care where it gets posted but if you want max exposure then the other two forums would seem a more logical place.
Respected Contributor

I expect a credit if something goes on sale relatively soon after I purchase it. I am not talking a couple bucks.

Weekend after Thanksgiving, I purchased my grandson a Kids Kindle - I had to go with the bigger screen as the smaller one was not guaranteed to ship til 12/24.....I go on Amazon a few days later and see it for $30 cheaper listed across the top of my screen..I emailed CS and they without hesitation credited back $30 to my account.

Overstock..I purchased something for $499..two of them..They came missing an add on...I called CS and had to get the Order #..and noticed they were each $50 cheaper that day..you bet I mentioned that and on the spot she gave me the credit and said they do within 7-days and I just made it..$100 significant savings..and if they didn't forget to send the add-on I would of never picked up on the price.

a couple bucks on a top no..I don't expect them to give me money back..anything significant..14-days is reasonable..some places are 30.