Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Best toenail clippers for "Aging" toenails?

Its so easy just to get a pedicure.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie  I would never get a pedicure. Never.

Respected Contributor

these are great!  sharp, wide opening, easy gripe, glides through with light pressure

currently $9.99 on amazon

Kohm WHS-440L Heavy Duty, Curved Blade, Wide Jaw Toenail Clippers for Thick Nails, Large Nail Clippers for Men, Seniors, Women, Nail Clipper with File

clippers.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Imaoldhippie   ...but expensive if you just need nails cut every few weeks.

Super Contributor

I would suggest a trip to the podiatrist for a one time consult. Many times a thickened nail indicates a fungal infection. He can trim the nail and prescribe a treatment for it.  If you have  Medicare this is a covered benefit. 

I had had the problem several years ago. He treated the nail that day and gave me a bottle of fungoid tincture to treat it at home. It took a few months for the nail to grow out clean and normal thickness but it sure did work. I now buy fungoid over the counter and use it after I shower. It goes on clear and has a somewhat vinegary smell that does not linger. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use that grinding thing we use to remove calouses from our feet. I cannot remember what it is called.......lol

Honored Contributor

@ChouChou wrote:

I would suggest a trip to the podiatrist for a one time consult. Many times a thickened nail indicates a fungal infection. He can trim the nail and prescribe a treatment for it.  If you have  Medicare this is a covered benefit. 

I had had the problem several years ago. He treated the nail that day and gave me a bottle of fungoid tincture to treat it at home. It took a few months for the nail to grow out clean and normal thickness but it sure did work. I now buy fungoid over the counter and use it after I shower. It goes on clear and has a somewhat vinegary smell that does not linger. 

My thick nails are not from a fungal infection but because it's an unfortunate symptom of scleroderma. My nails were checked for fungus and that wasn't the problem.

Honored Contributor

Had this problem with my late husband.

All his toenails were hard & thick.

I agree with soaking, never cut them dry.

Getting a pedicure is not the answer either, but you could try.

I also agree with at least one visit to a podiatrist.  Since you have a diagnosis, if you have insurance, you may be able to get a trim at least monthly for the cost of a co pay, or less.    If you have never been to a podiatrist, go see one first before you spend money on the other remedies.

@Mothertrucker 

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I use that grinding thing we use to remove calouses from our feet. I cannot remember what it is called.......lol

Me too.  It’s called the Emjoi microPedi and comes with a conical sanding extension in the accessory kit that doesn’t cut the skin.  So old eyes and a not so steady grip are safe with this method. And your feet don’t have to be soaked first.

Honored Contributor

When my elderly mom lived with me, I took her to my podiatrist to have her toenails cut.  Medicare covered it.  (I tried cutting them for her one time, and I drew blood!  That was the end of that!)