Respected Contributor

Re: Best thing I ever did for my skin...

Purity is way too drying for me, too.

Whenever someone complains about dry skin I always suggest that they try a different cleanser before they invest in serums & moisturizers.

It can make such a huge difference!

It can be a cleanser that you have been using for a while (The weather changes or changes in your skin can cause it to be too drying.), one that claims to be gentle or for dry skin...everyones skin is so different & can tolerate different things.

I use Shea Terra Argan Oil to break down my makeup & First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser to clean my skin.

Respected Contributor

Earlier someone who stopped using Purity said they now use it for cleaning their tub, I do too! I bought one of those big 32 ounce bottles (big mistake) for my first try and discovered it was just way too drying for my skin. 

So now what do I do with a full bottle of Purity, so I started using it to clean my bathroom sink and it did such a beautiful job.  Now I know why it’s too hard on my face!

Honored Contributor

Does anyone find the bath gels drying as well? I used them years ago and think that formula changed. I discontinued it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus   

They  actually  BURN  my skin. I cannot use them at all.

Frequent Contributor

I used to use Purity all the time too. It took off my makeup really well and then became extremely drying and burned my eyes....no matter what eye makeup I used. It stripped my skin and it became very tight. Then I looked at the ingredients and found out why.

But every skin is different.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, @StillRachB!  Years ago, when I decided to get more serious about my skincare, I started with a complete Philosophy routine.  Whew, BIG mistake.  It gave me milia and congested pores.  Once I quit them, I never looked back and never will.  

Trusted Contributor

Add me to the list of women that found Purity extremely drying.  It was years ago that I used it but at the time I had very oily skin.  Had never had a cleanser make my skin feel too dry until I tried that.  Can't imagine how it ever became so popular, it was the least "gentle" cleanser I have ever used.

I recently ordered a couple of their body washes because they were half price at Macys and I hadn't used them in years.  My son mentioned he needed to get more of his wash at the store and I told him to use the Philosphy until he had a chance to pick his up.  After three days he told me he had to stop using it because it made his hands and body too dry.  This is from a kid that usually buys whatever is on sale at the drug store and has never had this problem before!

Honored Contributor

@StillRachB  I stopped using it because it burned my eyes.  Glad you found a cure!!!  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
The BEST thing I ever did for my skin.......I quit falling for all the “hype” from all the Cosmetic Companies with all the “false” claims. Morning: a light cleanser, serum, moisturizer, SPF. Evening: a good cleanser, Retin-A and a good moisturizer at night, Doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Remember........ what works for one might not work for another. 😍
Honored Contributor

The “angry skin” description fits my skin to a tee when I used Philosophy skin care. It just took me about 9 years to realize it. I still use & love the shower gels, though (you should see my shower, HA!). PTR’s cleansers (as well as Paula’s Choice) and masks made my skin angry, too, but I swear by his retinol. It just goes to show you we each have different tolerances to skin care lines. It doesn’t make those lines bad, just disagreeable with our skin. Thank goodness there are many, many beauty lines. I’ve learned over time no one, single line works best for my skin. I do stick with WEN body cleanser as my facial cleanser (I don’t stray), but use PTR retinol Paula’s Choice serums and other treatment products, Josie Maran (Argan Milk) WEN (Body Treatment Cream). I’ve just ordered a few Tatcha products that I’m hoping will work well on my skin, too.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.