Frequent Contributor

Best styling tool for short/very thin hair?

Please help me with your opinions for my type of hair, short and thin.  I am looking mostly ease of use that will give my hair a little more "oomph".  Even though my hair is very thin, it does not totally lay flat against my head since I have some natural wave to it.  Other than that my hair is nondescript!  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Re: Best styling tool for short/very thin hair?

I also have thin hair; stick straight &flat.  I've had reasonable results with the small barrel Perfecter heated brush.  I think you can find a less expensive heated brush on Amazon or some other place.  I have to use some kind of styling product but won't recommend one now since I'm still trying different brands.  Most seem to make my scalp itchy.

I finally had to accept what I have & just live with it.  

Honored Contributor

I too have very fine,straight hair. I feel the only solution is a great cut.

Respected Contributor

I have short stick straight hair that is somewhat thin. I also get good results with the Perfector. I really like that you can't burn your skin when using it. 

Trusted Contributor

I have just about every hair device made... always go back to my curling iron. It just seems to give me the best lasting curl and lift especially when my hair is shorter and I want a full texturized look.

Also, of course a good cut as mentioned in another post AND you must use product!   I really like the Calista line of products sold here on QVC, Especially the volumizing hair spray. It is my go to product when I want lift and hold without gummy, sticky issues. It just does the job and you can still put your fingers through your hair. 

Honored Contributor

I hate putting products in my hair. Instead of being soft,casual and shiny it is stiff, dull and weighed down. So what if the wind blows it? I run m,y fingers through it and it goes back in place - the benefit of a great cut.

Honored Contributor

I have thin, fine and poker straight hair.  My hair is a little below chin length.  I use product in my hair and it is not dull, stiff, sticky, etc.  If you have that problem, you are using too much product or the wrong products.  I like some volume to my hair.  If I used nothing, my hair would be flat against my head.  While some people don't mind that look, I'm not a big fan. 

I have found the best for my hair is some product and a styling iron.  That way I can curl my hair up, under, make it wavey or just smooth it out.  I have also found that if I overdo the products, they have the opposite effect and weight my hair down.  I use a volumizing or thickening mousse, spray oil on the ends of my hair around my face then blow-dry and use my styling iron following by some volumizing or thickening hairspray.

I personally had zero luck with the Calista Perfector.  It did nothing for my hair at all unless I was on the second day and had some product build-up in my hair.  Then it would give me some bend.          

Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much your responses!

Honored Contributor

For me - I have found the very best thing is to ACCEPT that my fine, straight hair has limitations and just go with that, as I said before, get a really good cut and then give it up to God how it will be that day.

Honored Contributor

You didn't say how short your hair is and if you have a lot of fine thin hair or thinning hair. I have fine hair, but a lot of it and since my hair is graying it at least has more texture. I swear by Nick Chavez products for more volume and shine. I blow my very short hair dry with the T3 hairdryer which I think makes a hugh difference in the quality of the blow out and does not fry my hair. I use the Chi smart iron when my hair has more length to it and that works fine for more volume and hold. I just got the perfector with the 3/4 inch barrel, but have not tried it yet. It goes without saying that a great cut is the key to a manageable style.