Regular Contributor

Best nail product to use after removing acrylics...please help.

I have worn acrylics for a few years and think I should have them removed for a few months to let them breathe. Am sure my real nails are in poor shape so what do you ladies recommend to use to strengthen and get them healthy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Best nail product to use after removing acrylics...please help.

I was a die-hard acrylic wearer for 10 years because I would compulsively bite and pick at my nails without the acrylic. After a really bad refill, I had to take them off, but the manicurist I went to didn't have time to put on a new set. So she gave me a regular manicure and scheduled me the following week for a new set. That was 4 years ago and I'm still sporting my natural nails. I'm pretty obsessed with my nails now! Here are my secrets for getting them healthy and keeping them healthy: -Keep your nails relatively short. Mine are pretty flush with the tip of my finger. -2 coats of Citra Nail Strengthener, formula #2. -2 coats of nail polish, preferably Essie, OPI. 1 coat of HK Girl quick drying topcoat (not the best ingredients but it dries to a hard, strong finish super fast.) -CND Solar Oil - a little bit on each cuticle every night. If I feel I don't need the Citra, I use one coat of Zoya Anchor basecoat or one coat of Duri Rejuvacote. I typically get 6-8 days chip free (and I cook/do dishes 4-5 times a week.)
Contributor

http://www.nailsofsteel.com/products.html

scroll down to bottom of page. This stuff is fantastic.

Super Contributor

Try Burts bees lemon butter cuticle cream. When my nails are dry and damaged it helps quite a bit. I put it all over my nails and the skin around them.
Respected Contributor

Duri Rejuvacote worked like a miracle for my nails when my acrylics were removed.

Frequent Contributor

If you don't already take vitamins that'll help. Or gently buff them... it stimulates circulation and you get a natural shine.
Super Contributor

No matter what nail products you decide to use, the one thing I feel always benefits nails is making sure you keep your cuticles nourished and neat. I use many different polishes so I really don't have a favorite, along with different oils/lotions/creams on my hands and cuticles, just depending upon what I grab at the moment! So that is my one bit of advice: cuticle care. The other benefit is you will have really soft hands too! I might use coconut oil, olive oil, Solar Oil, argan balm or oil, or whatever lotion or body butter I happen to use that day. You will enjoy your nails once they grow back in because there are SO many fun nail products! Good luck!
Super Contributor

I gave up acrylics years ago! Since I retired I do a lot of gardening so manicures are essentially a waste of money for me. I don't wear colored polish and I keep my nails about and eighth to a quarter of an inch in length. I tried everything to strengthen my nails. The only thing that has worked for me is OPI Nail Envy. It comes in glossy and matte. I use the matte and it looks like I am wearing nothing - which is exactly what I want. I can wash my hands 50 times a day and get dirt under my nails and I don't get that chipped polish look that I hate. I put it on once a week and don't think about it until the next week.

I have received many compliments on my nails and have been asked how I am able to grow nice nails. I buy it at Ulta.

Honored Contributor

TIPS saved me when I took off my acrylics 10 years ago. I have finally come to the realization that I am allergic to absolutely every polish and strengthening product out there. I'm back on TIPS forever.

Honored Contributor

When the falsies come off, your own natural nails could look awful until the damaged parts are grown out. It will take a few months.

In the meantime, cut them short and lightly buff them with a nail smoother...go easy, you don't want to remove anymore of your nail than you have to.

Keep them polished with a clear nail strengthner. This will make them look better while growing them out and protect them from further damage

Soak in warm extra virgin olive oil for about 10 minutes a day if possible for about 2 weeks. Olive oil is an effective product for keeping natural nails in great condition. You can soak with polish on daily. Remove polish at least once a week and soak clean nails. Make sure they are 100% dry before applying nail strengtner again.