Frequent Contributor

Best long wearing nail polish?

I do my own nails since I have neither the time nor the money to go to a nail salon.  For those of you who also paint your own nails, what brands do you find to be the most long wearing?  I'm self conscious and redo my polish as soon as it starts to chip or look ragged so I'm always looking for something that will last the work week.

Right now I am really enjoying the Sally Hansen gel effect polish that comes with the top coat.  Surprisingly the Wet n Wild Nail polishes are also quite good and so cheap.  I've had good luck with Zoya too.

A couple weeks ago I ordered from an indy brand called Gridlock Lacquer because they had a Pittsburgh collection out.  The polish went on really well and my manicure lasted chip free Monday to Friday.  (Plus, the name of the shade was chipped ham which is very much an Ohio Valley- Pittsburgh area saying.)  I may buy more colors from them.

My holy grail product would be the Manicure Booster top coat from Perfect Formula.  It made my polish last a long time, but the problem became that the product got thick and goopy halfway through the bottle.  After two bottles like that I'm wary to repurchase again.  (Yes, I revived it with some thinner drops and tried to use it up, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of buying again.)

Worst purchase was the Perfect Formula gel coat colors.  Those last less than a day before my nails look chipped and raggedy.  

I saw that QVC has a new kit from Julep Cured which claims to be long wearing.  Anyone tried it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best long wearing nail polish?

I haven't tried the Julep "cured" version of the polish but the julep regular polish was horrid on my nails. It chipped on the second day and was really tough on my nails. 

I use the Perfect Formula and have had good luck with it. I agree that it gets thick half way thru the bottle so I wait until it's a OTO to purchase. The smaller bottles  and super size bottle do not have the same sticky problem. I use a coat or two of the pink gel coat before I apply the color and that works better for me.

I loved the Pro Strong line of polish but I believe they only sell nail  strengthener and items like that. Check their website to see if they still have the polish because that was the best.

Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@rissajaneen  The polish I have that stays on the longest is also Sally Hanson gel polish & her gel top coat. Today I have on Regal Rose 238 which is a light pink w a rose tone. shade. Very rarely do they chip one me, more new growth starts before it starts to chip. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My nails grow too quickly for any long lasting polish.  I can barely get a week before there's new growth showing!  

ETA:  I use Sally Hansen and/Avon sheer colors

I redo my nails every Thursday night or Friday morning.

Honored Contributor

It's more the prep than the polish.

You have to make sure that you have nothing on your nails.  My manicurist wipes my nails with both rubbing alcohol and acetone just before she puts on the polish.

I use Orly Bonder as a base coat because I used to do water aerobics and being in the water would lift my polish.  The Orly Bonder has been great to stop that.

I also use Seche Vite as the top coat.  I haven't found a better top coat and I have tried them all (cheap and super expensive).

I stick to Essie and OPI generally.  I've tried Butter London but find if you don't use all their top and base it just flakes off.

Same with Lipmann

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Chanel. I have tried almost all of the well known brands but Chanel is hands down my favorite when it comes to longevity... 

Respected Contributor

I'm using Essie Gel polish,  and gel top coat.  No base coat needed, no lamps, and removes with regular nail polish remover.  I buy mine at Ulta, or a beauty supply for licensed hair stylists.  It's pretty good, and stays on longer than regular polish.   I also sometimes use 8 in 1 as a basecoat because my nails are thin and have ridges...but you don't have to.   It's expensive, $11.00 a bottle for Essie.  I've tried EVERYTHING,  from salons to acrylics, and the list goes on.  I have lousy nails,  so, right now, Essie Gel polish is looking good.   Prices are through the roof on just about everything...so I just pick and choose. 

Respected Contributor

I love Static Nails brand nail polish, basecoat & top coat. I only buy when GMA has it on Deals & Steals, but I love it.

Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy is good. They used to have so many colors.

I like OPI & Orly just fine, but I still use my Static Nails base & top coat.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Stickey Base coat from CND ?? I use this after my regular base coat before my color polish. it dries with a bit of tackiness to it, so that when color is applied over it , it creates a bonding effect. , I only do my nails once in two weeks. 

Honored Contributor

I always had luck with Essie on my toes.

kindness is strength