Respected Contributor

I've been using Purity cleanser and moisturizer for years.  I'm 72 and I've been blessed with good skin.  But I wonder if I should be using something better as I get older.  I'm watching all the Beekman products today and I'm tempted to try some of them.

What do you use and do you feel it really improves your skin?  Thank you.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

Paula's Choice.  Have been using her products since 1995.  Fragrance-free, no jar packaging, no animal testing and a 90 day guarantee.  She has different lines for different skin types.  Also google Beautypedia to see reviews on make-up, skin care from dept. stores, drug stores, online etc.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't change unless I had developed an issue.

There's nothing wrong with "what works" in my book.

Honored Contributor

@spent2much I second Paula's Choice.  I use quite a few of her products.  As far as cleansers go, I use the Softening Cream Cleanser for dry skin.  It takes off makeup, doesn't dry my skin out or make it feel tight after cleansing.  Been using it for years.  She has other cleansers too.  Also on occasion use her oil cleanser.  Was never a big fan of oil cleansers until I tried hers. 

Good luck on your search!

Respected Contributor

I'm 75 and I use Purity and have been for years.  It doesn't dry my skin.  It cleans my skin beautifully and I don't have great skin.  The only thing I really believe in is getting my skin clean and all the other creams and oils don't do anything extra.  BUT, I use Lancer after I cleanse with Purity and find it smooths my skin nicely. Nothing takes away wrinkles and scars except a face lift.

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I'm 75 and I use Purity and have been for years.  It doesn't dry my skin.  It cleans my skin beautifully and I don't have great skin.  The only thing I really believe in is getting my skin clean and all the other creams and oils don't do anything extra.  BUT, I use Lancer after I cleanse with Purity and find it smooths my skin nicely. Nothing takes away wrinkles and scars except a face lift.

@luvmybeetle   Unfortunately, a facelift does not remove wrinkles. Skin may be lifted and jowls shifted, but stretching the skin still leaves wrinkled skin and scars. Plastic surgeons tell you that upfront so you're not disappointed. You don't look pristine after the bandages come off. Better, but not 20 yrs. younger with skin not wrinkled, age spots that magically diappeared and sun damge eleviated, etc. 

I believe that an active approach to skincare keeps our complexions in the best shape possible. Yes, several products are necessary besides washing our faces and exfoliating. It's a personal choice how far you want to take it without becoming obsessed. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi @spent2much 

I think if you like what you are using, then you should stick with it.  I always found purity too drying for me.  So my recommendations might not work for you.  But I like Lancer for the polish and the cleanse, and Josie Maran for my moistuirzer.  I layer her milk, serum and special reserve oils.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Best face care?

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

I've been using Purity cleanser and moisturizer for years.  I'm 72 and I've been blessed with good skin.  But I wonder if I should be using something better as I get older.  I'm watching all the Beekman products today and I'm tempted to try some of them.

What do you use and do you feel it really improves your skin?  Thank you.

@spent2much  Geez, no one wants to hear again about my routines to keep skin in the best possible shape as we age. It's my work and I recommend many products to clients who ask during an appointment. My answer is always the same. How much time are you willing to spend on your complexion to see results? 

Personally, I use an oil cleanser to remove makeup. It's the only sure way to dissolve sunscreen that I wear daily, no matter what season or what the weather is that day...a good habit. I sometimes second cleanse with a mild face  wash if I feel it's necessary. That's followed with my Retin A which I alternate with a moisturizer, eye crem and neck cream.

Mornings is a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or just splashing my face with cold water...my face isn't dirty from sleeping. I apply an acid filled pad or acid toner  every other day to exfoliate, my Vit. C serum to brighten my skin, fade spots and protect my skin and further protect it from UV rays, then is my lighterweight 

moisturizer than the one I use at night, SPF at least 40, eye cream and neck cream. I will tap on a small amount of a light facial oil (morning or night) if I feel my face feels still dry...usually in winter. 

My routine takes 5 minutes at night and maybe 6-7 minutes in the morning. For me, it's time well spent and the results speak for themselves. 

*I can't give you actual product recommendations, by brand, since I don't know your skin. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Best face care?

[ Edited ]

I use "Goat Milk Stuff" Purity, Tea Tree, or their Organic Olive Oil soap. My skin never feels stripped or dry.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Serums!  They are a mystery to me!  I know they say they do this and that, but what really works?  What ingredients do you think REALLY do something and what brands do you trust to include enough to be effective?

I have used Trish McEvoy and Estee Lauder night repair for a long time.  Trish's especially costs an arm and a leg, so I really look for sales and offers on that.  However, I love the light texture and it does seem to be soothing and even out things.

But I never really feel really confident about what they are doing!  LOL!!!