Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best eye shadow for over 50?

On 11/7/2014 rholmes27 said: Re: Burberry. I don't have any of the palettes, but have about 5 of the singles. I would say the finish is satin-I don't see any shimmer at all. I actually prefer a satin finish or mixing a matte with something that has a tad more gloss, like a satin.

Thanks rhilmes27 ..... this is really helpful! I also like a satin finish. Best, Maria

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 53 and I pretty much stick to matte eye shadow. I have both of the IT eyeshadow ""trays"" that have many eye shadow colors in them - and I LOVE them. The colors are beautiful and the consistency and pigmentation are excellent!
Super Contributor

I use a primer by l'Oreal, magic decrease. Everyday even if I don't wear eyeshadow.
Honored Contributor

I like Bobbi Brown's Creme shadows and BE or Skinn for powder shadows, no talc and they work very well for eyes over 50!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I just about always wear Mally's taupe color stick.

Respected Contributor

I am 53 and I do not do sparkly eyeshadow anymore. Very slight shimmer is ok for me though. My eyes are blue and I use light blues,greens,grays, I also switched to blue ,teal eyeliners and navy blue mascara.it all creates less drastic look. My fav makers are NARS and Chanel.
Contributor

I like Trish McEvoy because they are not too shimmery, but nice glow. also like naked 3 palette, nice shades, plenty of mattes. Lorac is good too. the trick is to find a shimmer that is not too frosty.

New Contributor

I keep hearing that matte shadows are best for over 50 but I use mostly shimmer and some metallics and I'm 50! The mattes make my eyes (not just mine) look like sunken holes...where the shimmer when applied on the lid open the eyes more! I used to be in-love with MAC but then I moved onto Obsessed Minerals water paint pigments....they are a pressed pigment shadow that really goes on smooth and lasts all day....the colors are many and unique! I have green eyes....I love a blue liner on the bottom lid even if I'm not wearing a blue shadow...really makes them pop and appear younger and more vibrant!

Honored Contributor

Maybe as we get older we should reverse where the shimmer goes. When we are younger, the shimmer goes on the below brow area, but as we age, I find that on me, the shimmer accentuates fine lines (even with primer). So I put my shimmers on the lids & mattes on the below brow area.

I am interested in trying NARS Madrague which are a duo of mattes. L’Oreal used to make a duo with these shades of mattes in the ‘80’s. That was used up ages ago, so I would be interested in trying this duo.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like vanilla matte to open the eyes up (I am 68).  Gray shimmer, lavender matte and shimmer, mocha matte.  With shimmers, I apply with my finger and swipe across the lid so it's not heavy.  I very seldom wear eye shadows but when I do the above mentioned are my choices. My eyes are Gray.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength