Respected Contributor

Re: Best eye shadow for over 50?

On 11/7/2014 qualitygal said:

Revlon now. Tried 2 new colors (even Revlon is new for me to use) and there's 4 colors in it. I really am won over on this. You can see not much is in here for what I get, but I don't wear it heavily. It's really nice. Brown eyes, got lavender and the brown shades.

qualitygal - if you are talking about the cream Revlon ones in the rectangular case, I LOVE these.

I have been using a set of the brown - Not Just Nudes, and a set of the purple - Wild Orchids. They are so creamy and easy to apply and blend. You can go darker or lighter by how much you apply. Some are matt (there's 4 in a set) and some have a sheen.

I use the darkest one in the brown and the darkest in the purple and get a subtle "smokey" eye look. I highlight just a little with the lightest in the purple (kind of pinkish lavender) by my brow bone.

I've been using these for years, tried other more expensive ones, and always come back to these. They are great and look much better than powder on my crepey eye lids!

Super Contributor

I have blue eyes ---love Bobbi Brown cream shadow in Stone or in the Slate. No shimmer or glitter.

Also love the Naked Basics 2 pallette (the small one)

And the IT Matte pallette...the one from last year (still sold) in the pink case.

Valued Contributor

I am a new convert to Josie Maran's coconut water eyeshadows, Very kind to aging eyelids, stay put and don't crease! Wonderful stuff.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

I like Skinn, talc free, very smooth for crepier, older lids.

Super Contributor

On 11/7/2014 Campion said:

Mally In the Buff palette: A228239

This has all kinds of taupes and greys and a base to have the shadow stay on. I haven't bought eye shadow since I got her palettes. The colors blend together, she has a nice booklet and you can even use them wet as a liner. By far the best I've ever owned in any eye product.

I have been so close to buying this so many times, I have always been hesitant, thinking that they may be too shimmery for me. I don't buy that many Mally products or that many beauty products from qvc and I really hate returning things, so that's another reason, I hate to just return it if the colors are wrong or if the shimmer is too much.

I do like taupes and grays and browns and many of the colors in the palette, I know I'd use. A few I don't think I would. I guess I would just have to try it and see.

I purchased a Tribeca Taupe palette from her many years ago and loved it. There was one shade that was a bit shimmery but not over the top. I really loved the colors and I do think they were flattering.

I guess it doesn't matter who you are, or what kind of life you have, whether you're still working and out in the business world and applying full eye makeup every day or just doing a basic eye for a casual retired life, you want to look pretty and you want wearable and flattering colors that are age appropriate. I think that is the best thing about this forum, we can all share our finds and share what we love and what works and what doesn't for us and help other ladies.

Honored Contributor

Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Estee Lauder to name a few have very nice shadows that last. My eyes are green/gray and a light gray actually brings out the green in my eyes. I also wear very light neutrals --vanilla, etc. to open up the eye area and make it bright.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

On 11/7/2014 KateChopin said:

I have blue eyes ---love Bobbi Brown cream shadow in Stone or in the Slate. No shimmer or glitter.

Also love the Naked Basics 2 pallette (the small one)

And the IT Matte pallette...the one from last year (still sold) in the pink case.

Blue here too (with some greenish flecks) and I bought Bobbi Brown's shadow in Blonde recently (matte powder). I haven't been happy with her powders lately, but this one I like and it seems to have more color payoff than some she does. I layered Shore cream shadow all over brow to lash then applied the Blonde on top of that (lid only) and it is really pretty.

I also just bought her Suede cream shadow (matte) and that is more of a tan color and that is pretty just on the lid too.

Esteemed Contributor

59 here.

Right now, I am really liking a Vera Wang matte deep brown eye shadow that I picked up at Kohls awhile back. It's very finely milled and goes on smoothly.

It is a quad set called Limited Edition Transforming Shadow Palette in "Warm Suede". It has a really nice large mirrored, round compact.

Two of the colors have a slight shimmer and two don't, but I only regularly use the deep brown anyway. I couldn't find the brown in a single, so I just bought the quad which was fine because I like the big compact mirror.

It is a very nice set (however, it may no longer be available since it was marked limited edition). I probably got it six months ago or more. I think it was about $32.00.

I plan to use the matte brown down to the last drop. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For mature eyes, I think that in general, you're best off with a high-quality matte formula. I love Laura Mercier shadows -- very smooth and creamy and well-pigmented. Perfect for aging eyes. Urban Decay makes high-quality mattes as well.

For matte palettes, I thought the Urban Decay Naked Basics was okay but not great in the choice of shades. I do not have their second palette.

There are so many good matte palettes out there. Both of the It Cosmetics palettes (the one just released is a limited edition) are excellent and have a couple shades in each that are not just neutrals. Paula's Choice is wonderful if you like a large variety of neutral shades that puts the UD Naked Basics, IMO, to shame.

Stila has a good all-neutral matte palette, and TheBalm and Too Faced both have a matte palette that includes some color shades in addition to neutrals.

As for a little sheen, both the It Cosmetics palettes and the Paula's Choice palette offer one shade that gives a little gleam. I love using it in the inner corner of the eye and also a dot right about the center lash line.

I do think that mature eyes can pull off a satin or a light shimmer if done carefully. I have a few palettes that offer a mixture of finishes. But I don't do anything that is over the top with shimmer of glitter chunks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

Re: Burberry. I don't have any of the palettes, but have about 5 of the singles. I would say the finish is satin-I don't see any shimmer at all. I actually prefer a satin finish or mixing a matte with something that has a tad more gloss, like a satin.