Honored Contributor

@RealQuiet wrote:

Temptalia does have the best dupe list, but I find that when she shows us the product on her face she always looks the same!

I'm so glad you noticed this. It's true -- everything looks the same on her. But still, a good dupe list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I have the hardest time following Temptalia's dupe list.  I never can get it to "work".  Seems like no matter what I enter in, I get results that have nothing to do with what I wanted.

Trusted Contributor

Over time I realized that I was wasting so much money buying dupes in the hopes of coming close to the real deal (which almost never happens anyway) that I actually could have bought the real deal and saved myself both money and the hassle.  I now buy less and enjoy more.  Most products last a very long time so it is not like you have to constantly buy the same item over and over again within a short period of time.

Honored Contributor

@Jerseygirl1266 wrote:

Over time I realized that I was wasting so much money buying dupes in the hopes of coming close to the real deal (which almost never happens anyway) that I actually could have bought the real deal and saved myself both money and the hassle.  I now buy less and enjoy more.  Most products last a very long time so it is not like you have to constantly buy the same item over and over again within a short period of time.

I could not agree more.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I cannot tell you the number of "dupes" I've bought that were not even close.  My most recent bust was some supposed Revlon dupe for MAC "O" lipstick.  It really wasn't close.

The absolute worst one was a fragrance dupe.  I wanted a dupe for Stella by Stella McCartney.  I don't remember what website it was (something posted here and it wasn't PSS) but it was not anything close to Stella.  I tossed it right in the trash.  

Honored Contributor

@quinny wrote:

I have the hardest time following Temptalia's dupe list.  I never can get it to "work".  Seems like no matter what I enter in, I get results that have nothing to do with what I wanted.

@Quinny

I just tested it by putting in Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in the search box on the dupe list page (http://www.temptalia.com/makeup-dupe-list). I did get the dupe list.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I would NEVER buy a fragrance dupe!!  That is definitely a no win situation.  I'm talking strictly about makeup products.  I have had good luck with using dupes, in fact, I have found some dupes I like better than the real deal.

Trusted Contributor

@Jerseygirl1266 wrote:

I agree so much (for certain things). 

Eyeshadow palettes - why bother.  You will pick it up hundreds of times, I want to love the palette, love the way the case looks and feels....I've never found a dupe to compare to the original in eyeshadow palettes.  I purchased a maybelline nudes palette and I simply never reach for it, choosing my nicer palettes instead.

If someone told me of a TRUE dupe to Lancôme definicils or Hypnose, I'd happily purchase it...but it would need to be identical or else I'm never goingto bother.

But for something that is more of a novelty, like a certain shade of blush, or even some nail polishes, I might pick up a dupe.  I remember looking for a dupe for Chanel black pearl polish simply because it isn't available any longer and I wanted somethign identical....never found it.  Might have purchased a dupe for Nars O*** when it was popular simply because I didn't think I'd look great in it anyway, and wouldn't mind the Jordana dupe just for fun.  i just never bothered but I would still probably get that Jordana dupe instead of paying full price if I ever felt the need to try it.

Trusted Contributor

@quinny wrote:

I would NEVER buy a fragrance dupe!!  That is definitely a no win situation.  I'm talking strictly about makeup products.  I have had good luck with using dupes, in fact, I have found some dupes I like better than the real deal.

A lot of the ladies here on BB talk about Pittsburgh Street Soapworks. I've never bought from them but anyone looking for inexpensive dupe fragrances might want to check them out and check out reviews for them too. Someone wrote in an earlier thread that the dupe for Bobbi Brown's Beach smelled even better than what Beach smells like.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!