Trusted Contributor

Best drugstore product to fade dark spots on face?

Any suggestions with good results?

Honored Contributor

Re: Best drugstore product to fade dark spots on face?

I find that fading products are very unreliable.  Its easier for me to use It Foundation which covers all my sunspots and other flaws.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

Found MD Complete  dark spot corrector found at Target($39) & CVS worked the best for my tenacious brown spot on my cheek.  Took about 3  months of devoted usage to see results.  Spot was dark brown but now faded to a pale beige so far. Don't have to use gobs of concealer as much any more.  Beats expensive laser treatments!!

Honored Contributor

Go here for something that rates the 10 best FADE creams:

http://www.skincarecop.com/reviews/part8-fadecreams.html

I've always heard Porcelena is around $7 at Walgreens.  It's been used for years.

Trusted Contributor

Ambi Fade Cream (2% hydroquinone) or Nadinola (3%).  Can be purchased at Wal-Mart.  You can also get a higher percentage of Hydroquinone from a dermatologist.  I got a compounded prescription which contains 6% Hydroquinone , Tretinoin and Kojic Acid.  You have to be diligent in using Hydroquinone as it takes months for them to fade.  Sunscreen is a must, especially in winter.

Respected Contributor

Please make sure you monitor these spots. I had a brown spot on my nose that I was just trying to cover-up. Then I was diagnosed with a melanoma and had it surgically removed. Be careful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glycolic acid in a strength that your skin will tolerate. Try to work up to a 20% strength and continue using. The fading of dark spots will be slow, usually most noticeably lighter after about 6 to 8 weeks. Products like treatment  pads or a serum containing the GA is most convenient to use.  Wear sunscreen during the daytime, every day.

ETA - For very dark spots, it may be necessary to have them removed professionally and if you do this then in most cases the spots will be permanently gone. Most other methods, as seen with topicals, are likely to give temporary results. In other words you have to continue using a topical in order to keep the spots from re-appearing. Ultimately, when you are satisfied with the fading or removal of dark spots, the best thing to do from there is to treat the underlying cause and that involves using Retin-A if your skin can tolerate it. Tretinoin (Retin-A) works by blocking the skin cells (melanocytes) from producing melanin pigment which is what makes dark spots. Continued use of tretinoin will result in a clear complexion, but this takes time with consistent applications.

Valued Contributor

I use Porcelana.  It helps, although doesn't remove completely.  I have also used a prescription Hydroquioine which worked about the same as Porcelana. Retin-A also helps, which I use, but nothing has removed the sunspots completely.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98  None of the old drug store standbys work.  I wish something did.  I have one spot on my hand....spent a lot of time in the sun that summer.

Contributor

Do your own research and be sure to do a test spot prior since all skin is not the same but I have spent hundreds of dollars on skin care (age 65) and finally found the best results ever using essential oils on my face and body.  Geranium oil, Lemon oil, Frankincense oil and Rose Hip oil are just a few you could read up on.  Hemp oil has done wonders for skin texture and wrinkles.  Be sure to purchase good oils and there are many different uses for them that believe do work.  I have had terrific results on fading dark spots after sun abuse for years and aging.  Just something you could look into.