Esteemed Contributor

Best and worst beauty purchases for 2020

I watch a lot of beauty youtubers who are doing their best and worst beauty purchases this year and I thought that was a fun idea so here's mine:

Best beauty purchase this year:

Conair Infiniti Pro hot air brush with ionic technology as the head is removable for cleaning. It's 1000 watts and not too hot at all. I let my hair air dry until it's damp and then use this brush to dry my hair and it doesn't take long and it leaves my hair fairly straight and smooth. I like that I can take the brush head off so I can remove hair from the bristles and wash the brush head if needed and let the brush head dry again before using it. I have an older model that similar but the head doesn't come off and it's only 600 watts. It's been relegated to be a travel hair dryer only.

Worst beauty purchase this year:

Also from Conair, the Infiniti Pro Curl Secret hair styling tool. This gizmo is supposed to curl your hair easily in small sections at a time. The tool is awkward and heavy and my hair got caught in the mechanism. I decluttered this and no longer own it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Best and worst beauty purchases for 2020

My favorite buy of the year is a recent one.

I ordered 3 cream blushes & Pro Filt'r loose powder from Fenty.

I love the cream blushes. Pigmented. Easy to apply. Wear all fay.

I go the loose powder in Lavender & Butter in the small sized because I couldn't decide on the color.

I used to have a lavender powder from Who's The Fairest? that I loved.

This powder goes on like silk. Sets my makeup & slightly blurs so my skin look nicer than it is. My makeup looks just as nice at the end of the day as it did in the morning!

Trusted Contributor

BEST:  Kenra Volume Spray - It does exactly what the name says....it adds volume to my hair.    I love it!!!

WORST:  Wen.  It just did not work for me.  

Honored Contributor

The worst ever product to keep my eyeshadow was by Urban Decay.  

My lids itched and became rough.  Straight into the trash.

Two Faced worked!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Best: Matrix Total Results Miracle creator mutil-tasking leave in treatment. Cuts down on frizz and drying time and smells good. 

Worst: Vichy LiftActive vitamin c serum because it made my face red and inflamed. 

Honored Contributor

For 2020 my best beauty purchase was Mario Badescu skincare.  Love what it is doing for my skin.  The worst purchase was Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush foundation.  It's a very, very nice foundation but I do not care for full coverage (my mistake) even breaking it down with moisturizer did not work.  I bought it on sale and cannot return it.  Live & learn.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

The worst ever product to keep my eyeshadow was by Urban Decay.  

My lids itched and became rough.  Straight into the trash.

Two Faced worked!Smiley Happy

@ECBG   Thought it was just me. I just tossed my UD shadow palette with all the rose/pink tones.  Only used it several times. Itchy lids, too and more fallout than their other palettes. Maybe a formula change? I loved the UD I and II. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best Purchase: 

Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow. On me, it has enough pink that it works as a blush/bronzer in one swipe. It's pricey, but I'm on my original compact and not even 1/3 way through. Should last another year. 

Worst Purchase: 

Several Aveda shampoos and conditioners that completely dried out my hair. I returned them for a full refund.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the best for me was the Kaplan night moisturizer, which I use both day & night. Also best, prickly pear seed oil from Garden of Wisdom.

One of the worst was the Laura G. kajal eye liners. Into the art box they go.

Overall, I have too many tried & true repeaters, so the above is not out of many.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Best skin care purchases were the two items in the U-Beauty line...the hydrator and the resurfacer.

Best makeup purchases -

Eye pod eyeshadows and cream blushes from Westman-Atelier

Surratt Noir Lash Tint mascara

Chanel le rouge duo ultra tenue lip stick/lip gloss 

Worst purchases-

Skincare - the overpriced Sisley skin care items

Makeup - the Wayne Goss lipsticks