Honored Contributor

Re: Best and worst beauty purchases for 2020

Best in Skincare is was/is (my) collab between Tatcha's Water Gel and Dewy Night Cream and The Ordinary's  Niacinamide and HA.  It's wonderful to wake up in the morning with soft and plump skin.

Best in Makeup Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer and Ardell False lashes

Worst in Skincare The Ordinary Glycolic Acid.  It was like putting battery acid on my face!  My daughter had the same experience with it.

Worst in Makeup I'm sure it works wonderfully on other skin types but IT Bye Bye Foundation just didnt'n work for me.  With enough prep it would look good at first but it didn't wear well.  It was dry and found lines I never knew I had!

Best Discovery in 2020 Essences!  I've used Time Revolution's The First Treatment Essence and Tatcha's Essence.  I couldn't tell one bit of difference between the two so I've repurchased The Time Revolution one.

Honored Contributor

My best purchase was a hair brush. I know! right. It's made by Conair The Knot Dr.

I love it so much that I bought a few for stocking stuffers for some friends this year. Now they love it and they also bought some to give as gifts, too!

Honored Contributor

The worst:

The Ordinary Squalane - don't know what's in it but my skin reacted negatively to it so in the trash it went.

The Ordinary Caffeine solution - did absolutely nothing.  Used it for over a  month to give it a chance and no change.

Belei eye cream - another no show.  Used for quite a while and nothing so moved on.

The Best:

My usual Paula's Choice products but a new one I tried that I love and will definitely reorder is her 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant.  Have really seen a difference using it.

So-So 

Josie Maran's Vit C, Retinol, and Resurfasing trio.  Like them ok but not sure that I like them enough to repurchase.

Tarte's neck cream - I"ll finish the jar but think I'll try something else when done.

Honored Contributor

I bought one for my granddaughter for Christmas too Smiley Happy  She squealed when she opened it Smiley Happy  Hers is the teal blue color.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

I had so much hopes for TO's Caffeine solution but like you, it did nothing.  All the other TO serums I've tried have been great.  The glycolic acid, not so much!  I've used and like their Squalane Cleanser.

Honored Contributor

Amendment to best makeup.  I HAVE to add Too Faced Rich and Dazzling Lipgloss!!!  How did I forget those? Smiley Surprised

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL I have been using Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid exfoliant for years now.  I have often recommended this product here on the forum and many others.  It never disappoints and never stops working, never plateaus.  I'm on auto-delivery for this as well as her Clinical Strength Retinol.  Two staples for sure.

Best 2020 item:  Smashbox Halo Tinted Moisturiizer.  Love the finish of this and their shade selections are always spot-on. 

Worst:                 That would have to be Dr. Nassif's Shield serum or whatever it was called and was mentioned here.  That 'stuff' does absolutely nothing it claims to do - all it offered was an occlusive barrier to the skin, of which I already have many a product to do just that.   He and his partner in crime (the other plastic surgeon he has some show with, 'Botched' is it?) are raping the uneducated consumer out there.  Talk about taking advantage of the more vulnerable.  I don't know how they sleep at nght. $$$$$$$$$$

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus   I will confirm to you that Tarte has changed the formula of their Lights, Camera, Action mascara.  The current one they are hawking possesses none of the properties of the original - THAT one was exceptional.  

Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Shanus   I will confirm to you that Tarte has changed the formula of their Lights, Camera, Action mascara.  The current one they are hawking possesses none of the properties of the original - THAT one was exceptional.  

@fitfuninformed  That stands to reason. I hate when a good product changes to a bad one. 

Respected Contributor

The best thing I bought this year was Charlotte Tilbury's Hollywood Flawless Filter.  Gives my face a nice glow and can be worn without any other makeup (or under or above your usual foundation.)  Also, I really liked two other products from this brand this year, the Stoned Rose face palette and Filmstar bronze and Glow.

The worst thing I bought was CT Stoned Rose lipstick.  Not flattering on me at all - too orange looking.