Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best and worst beauty purchases for 2020

Best:

-Tangle Teaser hair brushes.  I was buying hair brushes with the little knobs at the end of each bristle, but those would fall off and the bristle would scratch my scalp.  I got a Tangle Teaser brush and don't have to worry about that.  The bristles are soft and sort of massage the scalp without scratching it.  I threw out my other hair brushes and just have these now.

-the Sigma detail eye brushes they came out with this year (E27, E33, E42).  These are smaller versions of brushes they already had in their line.  I find these so much easier to work with than their larger counterparts, because, you know...squirrel eyes.

-the BH Cosmetics destination and brunch palettes.  They all have this layout:

Amazon.com : BH COSMETICS 16 Colors Love In London Eyeshadow Palette, Multi  : Beauty

The formula on these is really, really good.  They are not expensive, and BH Cosmetics has sales on their website frequently.  The only one I wasn't as happy with as the others was the Trendy in Tokyo palette.  A couple of the shades in that one weren't great.  Other than a few shades in that one, I have enjoyed all of the BH palettes I've tried that have this layout. (16 square pans in a square palette).

Worst:

-the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes mascara.  It's not new, but I hadn't tried it until this year.  I was under the impression that it is supposed to be waterproof or water resistant or something.  I cried and most of it came off.  I was not rubbing my eyes either.  I don't know why this is still a staple in their lineup.  It's not as bad as Maybelline Great Lash, but I wouldn't purchase it again.

-the Milk Makeup Kush Mascara.  Okay...this one wasn't the worst, just majorly disappointing.  I say this because it looks sooo nice when you first put it on....but it flakes over the course of the day.  Sooo sad. 😢

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

Best

Nassifmd detox pads

Niacinamide..liked The ordinary brand better than Revolution.  The ordinary dried down with no stickiness.

Worst

Almay mascara...just dissappeard.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  @San Antonio Gal  The best I've used is "Baby Feet" (think that's the name...Ulta). The skin did roll of and left baby bottom soft feet. I walk barefoot on hardwood floors 12 months a year. If it softens my feet, it gets 5 stars.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@TY I have always wondered about that Conair brush dryer. I've read that it doesn't work well on shorter hair because the brush is too large. So I didn't want to spend the money.

My best purchase was Hask Keratin protein blow dry spray. Inexpensive

I have been living well off my preexisting beauty stash this year, so trying to think of a worst. Probably mint green Essie polish that I bought for my toes just for something fun. It looked awful.

@Greeneyedlady21   Since I can't wear nail polish, I go nuts with funky colors on toes...even do tiny decal-like drawings. I leave the really weird shades, that I purchased on a whim, for winter when toes are in socks.

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10  Go along with the Tacha primer in the worst category, but can't get behind the CT Magic Cream. I've tried it in every possible way under foundation on bare skin, over serums, etc. My skin's very dry in winter and it was still quite oily and foundation seemed to slide off.

Thankfully it was sent as a "try me", so nothing lost. It made a great hand and body cream. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel I purchased the Tarte mascara, too when they offered a set of 3 on Q. I think the formula's changed. I've used it before and never had that issue either. 

Honored Contributor

Best: Tweak'd Restore Rejuvenating Treatment Oil - I use it as a finishing cream.  I often complain about some of the Tweak'd products and how they aren't the all-natural products he makes them out to be, but this one is all natural and does a good job of replicating what I was getting with Silky Dirt whch had silicones and may not even be available anymore. 

Worst: Skinn DermAppeal.  Way too gritty for my face.  

2nd place would go to the Nassif Hydroscreen Serum Oil that was the TSV awhile back.  I tried to use it, but I'm almost certain it gave me little white bumps under the skin.  I even got one near the inner corner of my eye where my reading glasses sit.  I'll just use it on my hands.  

Honored Contributor

Best:

• The Ordinary's BHA (2%) and AHA (30%) Peeling Solution
  • The Ordinary's Niacinamide

Worst:

• Whish Coconut Milk Exfoliating Foot Peel

Frequent Contributor

i like the Tatcha Liquid Canvas which works great on me. With masks, this is just what I need and little blush. I do my eyes of course, since that's all we see these days.

Frequent Contributor

I've really like almost everythiing that I got this year.

Best: Beekman bar soap any flavor. It's mild and I occasionally use it on my face. My husband loves it because he's moisturizered right out of the shower. I also have found good things by sliding back to Dr. Denese. 

Worst: Wen.