Valued Contributor

Best Long Wearing/Waterproof Eyeliner

I'm looking for a good long wearing or waterproof eyeliner that really stays on oily lids.  I'd prefer something a little less expensive than these that are sold on the Q; but will consider one if it really works.  I've tried quite a few and I always have a problem with it transferring or wearing off entirely.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Best Long Wearing/Waterproof Eyeliner

I was forever on the hunt for a long wearing/non-smearing waterproof eye liner.  I finally found it - ScandalEyes.  I've been using it for months and months since I learned of it on these boards.  Highly recommend.  Comes in all colors but I prefer the black or black brown.  I only line the lower and upper rims, but it stays put all day literally until I take it off.  It's currently on sale in Walgreens ...

Esteemed Contributor

I searched for a long time for eyeliner that would stay on and not puddle in the corners of my eyes. I have a ton of allergies and sensitive skin. I've had good results from Mally's eye liner pencils (for the lower lids) and Bobbi Brown's eye liner gel for the upper lid. I purchased the regular formula and it worked for me. I hesitate with the waterproof formulas because of my skin issues. These work for me and they last and last.

Respected Contributor

Physician's Formula - The one that is targeted to eye color with a metallic cover- self sharpening. 

Frequent Contributor

For years, I've used Smashbox cream eye liner. It lasts forever; however, I believe they've redesigned this from the original formula (don't you hate that??) since I cannot locate it anywhere.  So ... I may be on the hunt for another brand.  

Esteemed Contributor

Smashbox Always Sharp liners are fabulous for staying put.  The pencil has a very smooth glide for applying, and as promoted is always sharp as the sharpener is in the cap and the tip is automatically sharpened each time the pencil is twisted to uncap.

If you prefer something in a pot using a brush to apply, I still like Bobbi Brown's Gel liner best.

For an inexpensive option check out NYX Retractable Eyeliner. 

Laura Geller's Baked Eye Rimz holds on me even if my eyes tear up for some reason. I usually dampen it a little to transform it from a powder into a liquid.  However, I'm not as confident that the baked formula will work for someone with serious eye liner smudging issues as well as the other options I've suggested.  

Honored Contributor

I really like Marcelle Eyeliners. They are only $12 and one of the few that actually stays put. I have normal eyelids, not oily nor dry, so not sure how well they hold up on oily lids. It gets 4 1/2 starts out of 5 on almost 700 reviews on Birchbox and many of the reviews are from oily lid gals that really like it.

Honored Contributor

Stilla waterproof felt tip is the best I ever tried.  It  never gets gooky and has the best staying power.  One pen lasts for a really long time so well worth the price.

Respected Contributor

I had a long search for this one.. I haven't seen it on the Q but found it at Ulta..

It's bareMinerals "Round The Clock 8pm"... I got the black/brown & it comes with a sharpner also.. It is the only one that has ever stayed on me all day!

Respected Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

I'm looking for a good long wearing or waterproof eyeliner that really stays on oily lids.  I'd prefer something a little less expensive than these that are sold on the Q; but will consider one if it really works.  I've tried quite a few and I always have a problem with it transferring or wearing off entirely.

if you have a problem with them staying, try the ELF lid primer for $2. I also like Ulta's own chubby crayon type liners which stay for me as well as the  Rimmel Scandaleye chubby crayon type liner. I like the colors better in the Ulta's ones, more to choose from.

For the best staying for me though is Laura Geller  eye rimz in plum like it hot. I use this wet and it stays for the full 12 to 14 hours I have it on. You can also use this dry but it won't stay more than 6 to 8 hours dry which is still very good I think but using it wet it really does have the staying power. While it is more than the Ulta or Rimmel it lasts me for months and months, on my first one now for over 5 months and use it daily.

I use this with the Laura Geller tiny eye rimz brush, $12 here but well worth it for this although you can use whatever you prefer.