Valued Contributor

Best Blush and Eyeshadow for Over 65

Any suggesstions for blush and eyeshadow for aging skin?  I don't like how my current powdered blush is looking kind of dry and accents aging skin; and while I prefer powdered eyeshadow, I don't want something heavy and cakey looking but more sheer. is there a brand that caters to older skin?

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Blush and Eyeshadow for Over 65

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

Any suggesstions for blush and eyeshadow for aging skin?  I don't like how my current powdered blush is looking kind of dry and accents aging skin; and while I prefer powdered eyeshadow, I don't want something heavy and cakey looking but more sheer. is there a brand that caters to older skin?

@patticakes   By age 65 and a few years before, I had changed over to cream blush. I like Bobbi Brown's Pot rouge (cheeks and lips) and other makeup lines have them at better price points...or just use your lipstick for a co-ordinated look. 

Cream shadow sticks are not only long wearing, but the creamy consistency takes away any chance of getting a powdery heavy look.

You may also want to try an eye primer just by itself to neutralize the redness, veins, etc. Many times that's all the brightness needed. Some, like Laura Mercier's Eye basics and MAC Paint Pots, come in neutral shades that make a perfect natural and neutral look by themselves.

Hope this is helpful.

Regular Contributor

I was introduced to SEINT makeup a few months ago.  I am over 65 and was pleasantly surprised by the coverage of the foundation, lip and cheek, and eye colors.

You can learn more about it at SEINT.com.  I can refer you to the artist that colored matched me (it is perfect for my fair skin).  Let me know if you want her contacct.

Valued Contributor

@Denise in PA 

hI Denise ,

I recently purchased Seint as well . I haven't been able to play with it as much as I like since we are still wearing masks for the office in NYC. I am 58 and have redness and hyperpigmentation from old acne marks, dark circles etc . I found an artist who is over 50 and has the same issues  . I have been wearing just suncreen and brows since the pandemic . I'm looking now to get back a little bit more polish , while still keeping it natural . Seint really does look natural , even on my oily acne prone skin. 

Respected Contributor

@patticakes I love how shadow sticks look on my old eyes. They are quick to use & very kind.

I have them from all brands. Laura Mercier (I have always sworn by hers, but the new shades seem to be too creamy & sheer out too easily. I don't like that. Which is why I never liked the Julep or Kiko Milano brand.), Bobbi Brown, Lancome, Belle Beauty (She has one of my favorite colors-Stella Grey. I have several of her shadow sticks & they are perfect.), Girlatik & ELF (Magnetic Pull is a great color & these are only $5 each.).

I don't use a primer with any of these.

I apply them to my lid & up into my crease, soften the edges & shape it with my Mac 252 brush, take it under my lower lashes (If I am doing that on that day.) & I am done.

I add eyeliner & mascara.

Sometimes & add a powder shadow into the crease to add dimension or drama. 

But, mostly I just use the shadow stick & go. It's a fresher look on me than powder e/s.

I do use cream blush, but I don't mind a powder blush. I tend to use formulas with a sheen so they don't look too flat/matte. 

I love Mac Mineralize Blush or Extra Dimension (I Love all of my Mac blushes, but these finishes are really pretty.) because they have a glow, but never glitter.

Are you happy with your skincare/makeup look before you add powder blush or eyeshadow?

Honored Contributor

@patticakes   you are going to love the eye shadow sticks by Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier.  You can apply lightly or apply pressure for more.  As far as blush both companies I mentioned have a cream blush.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I no longer use powder blush on my dry aging skin. I switched to cream blush and love the Doll 10 brand. It’s creamy, easy to blend and isn’t overly-pigmented. It’s the perfect texture and looks great!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

@patticakes , Rare Beauty, Fenty and Hourglass make some beautiful cream blushes. They wear beautifully also. As far as eyeshadows I try to stick to a tinted primer such as Laura Geller which gives color to the entire eye. Then I wear many different types of shadows on my lower part of the lid. I can even wear shimmery shades in that area as long as it doesn't encroach further up into my upper lid. I also like Laura Mercier Eye Basics as a primer.

Honored Contributor

I would love to find an eye base color stick that is a pale beige/pink or peach and goes on smoothly and stays on.  I used to use Trish McEvoy base in a color like that, but they seem to have changed it.   I have never found a BB stick color I like either. 

I don't wear blush any more, because it just seems too made up now no matter how subtle.

Since @Shanus got me to stop abusing my skin it looks much better and I only need a little concealer and a thin bit of foundation on my cheeks and chin.  

I have some BB Face Base that is way too creamy for my oily skin, but the barest touch of it will blend with a dryer foundation and be light enough for me now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@patticakes wrote:

@patticakes , Rare Beauty, Fenty and Hourglass make some beautiful cream blushes. They wear beautifully also. As far as eyeshadows I try to stick to a tinted primer such as Laura Geller which gives color to the entire eye. Then I wear many different types of shadows on my lower part of the lid. I can even wear shimmery shades in that area as long as it doesn't encroach further up into my upper lid. I also like Laura Mercier Eye Basics as a primer.

@Tricolor 

I've recently tried getting back into wearing eyeshadow, but find my crepey eyelids look horrid w/ eyeshadow that goes too far up the eye lid ... looks like elephant skin. sigh. So do you just do a swash of color right above the eyelashes? I'm trying to figure out if I can wear eyeshadow at all or if I should just give away the product I just purchased? I did buy and use a tinted primer, but it was kind of "sticky". Not sure if it's the primer or if I just used too much. (Didn't seem like too much, but I'm still just playing). TIA

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."