Honored Contributor

Re: Being very "Mature" I'm looking for a skincare line tht helps the skin look healthy

I'm almost 62.  I contribute my good skin to good genes but also to the skin care regimen I've been on since last May.  Tatcha products and The Ordinary.  I don't do retinols.  My face is firm.  Appears lifted.  No hyperpigmentation.  I'm super impressed with these products.  I won't rule out ever using retinols but for now, I don't believe I need them,

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Being very "Mature" I'm looking for a skincare line tht helps the skin look healthy

Try to stick with the basics, some of which were mentioned: gentle cleansing, retinol, vitamin C and a good moisturizer. (I could write paragraphs on the rationale for each!)

Moisturizers, I found, are all over the place. Some better than others! Some simply don't perform like they are advertised. Can you add a drop of a good skin oil into the moisturizer? You need that protection, too, which also helps in balancing our skin. (Even those who have oily skin in our age bracket.)

A lot of us have discovered our basics through trial & error. I think you would like to stick with one line, but that sure isn't true for me.

@Nadine  Weren't you also trying Alpha things recently?

Esteemed Contributor

@Nadine -- A healthy complexion is very youthful looking.  I'm 72.  What worked for me years ago was to stop all the layering of hyped-up expensive creams and goos.  Just one layer.    I started using inexpensive products I can buy at my grocery store or nearby health food store.  I stopped spending big bucks and went for convenience and easy.  Surprise! my complexion improved.  

Everyone's skin is different and what works for me may not work for you.  I recommend CeraVe moisturizer, Neutrogena cleansers, Gold Bond Neck & Chest, ROC, Amara Beauty, Alpha Hydrox.... just not all at once!   Basics:  vitamin C in the morning, retinol at night.  Eat healthy, exercise, and drink water.  Always wear a smile.

Beauty is an attitude - have a good one.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I am 68--- at least for 2 more months!  I have tried sooooo many products thru the years.  My skin is average----in dry/oily---and in the wrinkle dept.  Out of the expensive brands I have liked Dr. Denese the best. But, now I am using Olay Regenerist Max and other Olay products along with it---and LOVE it!  There is a new moisturizer with Peptides, all the Regenerist line seems to work for me---and much cheaper.  But, I will not give up my Dr. Denese pads---they are the best in my opinion!

Trusted Contributor

I have used Paula's Choice since 1995.  I mainly use her Resist line.  All products are fragrance free and no animal testing.  Products guaranteed for 60 days.  She has small travel size products that you can try.  Sign up for emails and you will get notices such as free shipping and 20% off.  Also google Beautypedia for reviews of her products as well as drug store and brands that are on QVC.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're serious about 'lifting' then you'll need to see a derm or a cosmetic surgeon. In the meantime aging skin will benefit from using three basic things...retinoids, vitamin c serum and an exfoliant. Those things will help bring back brightness, help smooth out fine lines and reduce pore size...the top signs of aging.

My personal regime includes Retin-A, vitamin C serum (with THD ascorbate) and a muslin cloth plus an occasional application of glycolic acid cream for exfoliation.

I'm 65.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Really good suggestions here. My last purchase was the Alpha skin care when they had 30% off. I ordered a set of anti-aging products. I did ok with the 12% glycolic but as soon as I added in the night product with retinol I had a problem with irritated skin. It has just dawned on me that when I use a product with retinol I have a problem. Some of the products listed here I have thought of trying.

Regular Contributor

Early 60's and following this thread.  Very good info from all of you.  I'm basically lazy about skincare but since I live at high altitude and very sunny area, I do (usually!) wear spf of some kind.

Beauty advisor at Walgreens sold me Your Good Skin SPF 30 Anti-Oxidant Day Cream and it seems to do a good job.  It has green tea and vitamin C.

Seannie

Honored Contributor

@Nadine 

Retinol is a substance which some people need to adjust to using. Applying it to thoroughly dried skin will help and don't apply it to freshly scrubbed or exfoliated skin. Maybe try using it once or twice weekly then more frequently as your skin adjusts.

Trusted Contributor

I started using the Paula's Choice Resist line just about a month ago now and I like it.  I did order her retinol 1% and I think I used it twice and became so dry around my mouth/chin area.   I have used retinol before without any reaction and used it a couple of days apart so I was surprised at the dryness.  But I think it is more from wearing a mask  than the retinol.  I am dry and uncomfortable exactly on the area where the mask sits so I don't know. The weather is cold and dry and I have a dog to walk so I am outside a few times a day wearing a mask.   At any rate I am happy with the Paula's Choice products.