Esteemed Contributor

Re: Before putting on makeup/skin care products do you ALWAYS . . .

@Tique wrote:

@joannecha   great question. I've been washing my hands before touching my face since I was a child. My mother was into skincare much more than makeup and that's something she ingrained in me.

Same here, @Tique .  For as long as I can remember back my mom told us not to touch our faces.  It still bugs me when I see people rub there hands all over their face.  

@joannecha  As far as washing my hands before applying make up or skincare, yes, I do.  I always have.  I am usually putting make up on right after a shower.  I also wash my hands in between steps of application.......moisturize, wash hands, foundation, rinse hands, and so on.  I don't like the feel of those things on my hands anyway.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Well, I may be the oddball here, but I have never thought to do a specific hand washing prior to skincare or makeup.  I count on my hands getting clean during my facial cleansing or showering.  My skincare routines immediately follow face washing so why would I need to wash my hands again?  And if I wanted to get technical and picky, the first thing you touch after the washing (faucet, towel, cabinet knob, jars, bottles, spatulas, tweezer, makeup brushes,etc.) dirties/contaminates your hands again, right? Is anyone that obsessed that they rewash in between each item or product they touch?  If they aren't, then what's the difference between that and not washing at all? 🤷‍♀️ I believe our bodies were created to withstand, and even need, a certain amount of dirt and germs.  I do wash my hands during and/or after makeup application to remove bb cream, foundation, eye shadow colors or other items I've swatched,   

ETA - my dog licks my face sometimes too. 😲🐶❤️🤷‍♀️

@JeanLouiseFinch  The reason I wash in between applications is because I don't like the feeling of it on my fingers and hands.  Also, I pick up a hand mirror sometimes and I don't want it covered with oil or foundation.  I am hardly what one would call a germ phobe.  DH and I never stopped going out and doing things through this Covid thing.

Oh, and I kiss my dog on his mouth, too........alot!  gasp Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

yes always

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I always wash hands between steps when putting things on my face or hair. Wasn't really thinking about sanitation so much as I just want to get the gunk off my hands as I go on to the next step or before I touch anything else. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs , @kate2357 

it's so second nature, that I didn't even think of this when I first replied. I just realized that like each of you, I DO remove excess product from my hands before moving to the next.  I keep a stack of washcloths in our bathroom and will use a dry one to wipe my hands off as needed without actually washing them. When I'm finished, the cloth goes in the hamper and I take a fresh one next time. 

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

wash your hands? Since we've become so ingrained into washing our hands more frequently, I was cognizant the other day that I had frequently put on either makeup or skin care products without washing my hands prior. Yuck! Am being very aware of this now, to the extent of putting a sticky note on my vanity mirror to ask if my hands are clean. Just wondered if I am the only one who used to not be so aware of clean hands before touching my face.

@joannecha   Yes, I do wash my hands before any makeup or skincare. I'm used to that since I always need to wash hands before a client and sometimes during skincare/makeup application. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I go thru so many wash clothes a day --- I buy them at COSTCO so I always have enough in my bathroom. I like to buy the white ones so I can bleach them and know they are clean. When I go on vacation, I actually take along extra wash clothes just in case the hotel doesn't offer white wash clothes. Smiley Happy And yes, I know I'm weird.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I go thru so many wash clothes a day --- I buy them at COSTCO so I always have enough in my bathroom. I like to buy the white ones so I can bleach them and know they are clean. When I go on vacation, I actually take along extra wash clothes just in case the hotel doesn't offer white wash clothes. Smiley Happy And yes, I know I'm weird.

Yes!  I used to buy white, for the same reason.  Eventually they stayed grey looking.  I now replace with dark colors that match the bathroom and the old ones become house cleaning rags.  I bring a makeup eraser cloth, or two, when we travel.

Esteemed Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

wash your hands? Since we've become so ingrained into washing our hands more frequently, I was cognizant the other day that I had frequently put on either makeup or skin care products without washing my hands prior. Yuck! Am being very aware of this now, to the extent of putting a sticky note on my vanity mirror to ask if my hands are clean. Just wondered if I am the only one who used to not be so aware of clean hands before touching my face.

No, not necessarily.  If I am just putting on a moisturizer, that's typically used after I've washed my face.  I don't wash my hands to wash my face.  I lather up my product real well and cleanse my face.  My hands are getting washed and rinsed as I wash and rinse by face.

As for makeup, since there is now moisturizer on my face and hands, if anything I will wipe it off if it is bothersome for me to use the other products by having the moisturizer in my hands from the washing.  The better thing to do, seems to me would be to wipe down your products too if you will wash your hands before you apply products. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I always wash my hands first before washing my face. Depending on the product, I also either wash or rinse my hands before switching to and applying certain skin care and makeup products.