Honored Contributor

Before and after pictures totally a misrepresentation

On HSN this morning they were selling a face foundation.

The before  picture was with no makeup at all. No lip, no eye...  no foundation. Nothing... bare face.

The after picture supposely to show the foundation on... the model had eye liner, mascara, blush,and lipstick.

Please do not think the consumer IS THAT STUPID  not to see that the comparison  between the two pictures was totally false and not comparable.  They should just show  just the foundation on the clean face with nothing else to compare to the no makeup face.   Then you could fairly compare the foundation and what a difference it  made. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Before and after pictures totally a misrepresentation

I have said that for years.  They show a model with a full face of make-up then they pretend to brush some foundation or blush on.  They should do a complete makeup live on air from bare face to fully done.  I don't buy makeup anymore from QVC for that reason.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes that is a lousy thing to do.  Obviously the model is going to look better with eye makeup and lip stick.

I don't watch HSN.  But I have noticed on QVC when they are selling something to reduce wrinkles, that the "after" photo will be lit just a little bit better.  More light equals less wrinkles showing.  Very deceptive.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Valued Contributor

The only line that actually shows the 'transformation' is Adrienne on HSN with her Signature A line.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

Totally agree

Honored Contributor

Most all of the makeup is professionally applied, too, and that's another misleading part of it. Most of us are not professional muas so applications for us may not look like theirs.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

TV shopping companies need to let customers SEE what they I’ll be buying. They need more close up ship outs too. I’m tired of being surprised by every product since buy. They sure don’t take full advantage of high definition TV. The before and after shots are usually not very good. Half the time I see no difference between the before and the after. Then misleading customers.... This is why they get so many returns.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Please do not think the consumer IS THAT STUPID  not to see that the comparison  between the two pictures was totally false and not comparable.  . 

I think the consumer IS THAT STUPID, as much as I don't like saying it. 

(Before anyone responds that she is not that stupid, let me say I am speaking generally, not specifically.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Please do not think the consumer IS THAT STUPID  not to see that the comparison  between the two pictures was totally false and not comparable.  . 

I think the consumer IS THAT STUPID, as much as I don't like saying it. 

(Before anyone responds that she is not that stupid, let me say I am speaking generally, not specifically.)

@Peaches McPhee   Those that believe the before and afters are just very trusting and very naive gullible  consumers.  They probably believe the call on the phone from Microsoft telling them their computer is broken.....

Honored Contributor

Before and After pictures have been a JOKE for years.   I never trust the pictures.  I agree with you that foundation should have been the only product used in the after picture. 

kindness is strength