Honored Contributor

Re: Before and After haircuts

I think only #5 looks better.

I really don't like what looks to me like the elderly lady short bob or the very short spiky haircut.

A church I used to go to I could see a sea of short straight bobs or short above the chin type bob on all the "elderly" ladies. It didn't seem attractive on any- also emphasizing any with a round full face or just looked rather dreary.

The short spiky ones make a person look harsh to me and not very feminine. Someone trying to look modern and chic and cool but it just never seems to accomplish that.

Each person has their own unique personality and face shape. That is what a great hairdresser should address. Not the supposed "looks better" look that all older people should wear.

It really is not true that most elderly woman look better with short hair.

And notice that most all the afters, in addition to makeup, and other clothes also in most have their hair straightened and blown out so it shines and looks more healthy.

I always admire a woman's hair and everything else when it brings out her own individual personality putting a sparkle in her face!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Jean Smart's hair looked great before she cut it.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Most of the non-celebrities appear much older with short haircuts.  Especially #1 - way too drastic and all of them seem to have better makeup and filters.   pixies are not for me. Cookie cutter hair-dos

@CatsyCline Aren't all hairstyles pretty much cookie cutter?  Especially those long, slightly curled styles so many women on news shows wear?  

I don't think there are really that many hair styles to choose from are there?  Just thinking about that from your post made me come to this conclusion!  

@Sooner    lush, wavy, beach waved  long styles woman wear on TV are mostly extensions. so i guess you could say they are cookie cutter!   long hair is very popular.   

SARLA Invisible Wire Hair Extensions Highlights Wavy Curly Long Synthetic Hairpiece Adjustable Transparent Headband for Wo...

Honored Contributor

they all look older after

Trusted Contributor

Definitely don't like photo #1 after.  Most of the others were better in the after in my opinion.  I like Jennifer Garner's shorter do; Claire Danes can get away with any hairstyle.  

I have curly hair that is kind of "bobbed".  Shorter in the back, longer on sides.  Easy to take care of, a little product and let it dry on it's own. 

I still miss my '70's shag hair.  My hair was more wavier vs curlier then.  I wish I could find a stylist in my area to give me even a variation of it.  

Honored Contributor

Not all young women look good with long hair, nor all with short hair.

Not all elderly women look good with short hair, and not all look good with longer hair.

We don't want to become the Stepford wives (some of you may be too young to remember this which became a phrase used by many to describe a society where everyone acts perfectly the same!) 

I like to appreciate each person's individual looks. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Short, short pixie spiked hairstyles only point out the face.... and sagging, wrinkles and flaws. A little length brings out softness and can be pretty. And not parted in the middle gray hair, either. Around here, I see that frequently. It ends up looking like it pulls down the face and everyone just looks the same.🥺

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Not all young women look good with long hair, nor all with short hair.

Not all elderly women look good with short hair, and not all look good with longer hair.

We don't want to become the Stepford wives (some of you may be too young to remember this which became a phrase used by many to describe a society where everyone acts perfectly the same!) 

I like to appreciate each person's individual looks. 

This generation of Kardashian clones look like current-day Stepford wives IMO.  So many of them with the identical contouring, botox, fillers and extensions.

But to the hair pics, I think most look better with the styles cleaned up but not younger.  

In my friend/family circle some older women can get away with long hair and look great but others not so much.   But they all think they look good and that's what matters.

Honored Contributor

Some of them look older in the 'afters'.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@San Antonio Gal.  Most with the really short hair are 100% better.  These cuts are very flattering to mature women.  Ha! That's the way I wear my hair.

@Kachina624  - Speaking of looking better, don't you think Coffey looks much better now that she ditched that long unstyled mop look?  

@San Antonio Gal.  Definitely.  I noticed it immediately a couple days ago.  I hope her "fresh from the shower" look is gone forever.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment