Valued Contributor

Beekman TSV Review and I'm Annoyed

Long story short: I wasn't going to buy the Beekman TSV in April bcz I tried their soap in a hotel and didn't like it. BUT, I watched the presentation and thought maybe I'd try it since it was a good value and maybe the one I didn't like was just that scent. I mainly wanted to try the Vanilla Absolute, The Honey Oat and the Unscented, along with the cream, bcz it was unscented.
I just received the order and opened the Vanilla Absolute. The scent smells nothing like vanilla. I use a lotion with real vanilla absolute in it, and it smells nothing like this. I realize there are more scents in there, but the fragrance is very fake. All of the scents to me are very fake.The soap is creamy in lather, and the packaging is beautiful, but I don't like any of the scents. Even the "Unscented" has a chemical after-smell to me.
Ok, I'm picky with scents, what's new. The lotions I use are 100% essential oils, so I'm spoiled.
I decided to try the cream, which didn't absorb, nor does it sit on the skin with a greasy feel...it "coats" the skin. I felt as if my skin was being smothered and washed it off immediately. This got me to wondering what's in these products? So I started to do some research.
The cream has dimethicone in it, which is a silicone cousin. Since ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order they appear, from most to least, there is a fair amount of this in their "natural" cream. That's why it coats. You can google what using this for prolonged periods on your skin does to it.
The soaps...well, they might have started their lives as a natural soap, but then chemicals are added, specifically pentasodium pentatate. This is a chelating agent that binds to metals (in soap,mainly used for hard water- to help the lather). This particular chemical is tested on animals (rabbits, rats). The soaps also have salt in them (huh? probably used in conjunction with the chelating chemical)...and the Vanilla Absolute has titanium dioxide, which can be an irritant (also used in sunscreen formulas, but used in soap to make the color white)
The "Unscented Pure" has a bunch of stuff that makes it technically not even a soap, but a detergent bar...same as drugstore...which I specifically remember one of the "boys" saying their soaps were not. So yeah, it lathers great, but because there is a chemical that helps it do that. Well made, truly natural soap, does not need added chemicals.

My annoyance comes with the fact that these products are touted as "natural"...their schtick with the goats, etc..I'm more annoyed at myself for falling for it and not doing the research prior, but I feel so duped, that I'm bothering to write this, in case anyone else would feel as angry as I do when they receive these products.
I buy a lot of skincare that is not natural, antiaging, etc...so I do understand that to get a product to do XYZ, some things have to be added to make it work that way.
I just really feel duped with this brand, and I'm so annoyed with myself for buying this....

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Beekman TSV Review and I'm Annoyed

Thanks for all the information. 

Respected Contributor

I've only tried the lip balms.  The scents were nice, but honestly, the feel of the them on my lips, and the texture,  seemed no different than the basic black & white tube of Chapstick.  Also, and this only recently came to mind, the goats are very cute and fun to watch, and their packaging is indeed beautiful.   But, my problem now is, that they showed a video taken at the farm, I do not remember if it was Evine, HSN or QVC, showing this guy that takes care of the goats, maybe feeds them ?   The Beekman brand has reached a level of success, that it seems not possible that this is a happy situation for the animals, like they want you to believe.   Considering the quantities of products produced, it seems to me that this farm is turned in to a processing plant with creatures constantly being milked and primed for production.  It it not a sweet little Charlotte's Web type of farm - not the picture the Beekmans are trying to create in your mind.

Regular Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Long story short: I wasn't going to buy the Beekman TSV in April bcz I tried their soap in a hotel and didn't like it. BUT, I watched the presentation and thought maybe I'd try it since it was a good value and maybe the one I didn't like was just that scent. I mainly wanted to try the Vanilla Absolute, The Honey Oat and the Unscented, along with the cream, bcz it was unscented.
I just received the order and opened the Vanilla Absolute. The scent smells nothing like vanilla. I use a lotion with real vanilla absolute in it, and it smells nothing like this. I realize there are more scents in there, but the fragrance is very fake. All of the scents to me are very fake.The soap is creamy in lather, and the packaging is beautiful, but I don't like any of the scents. Even the "Unscented" has a chemical after-smell to me.
Ok, I'm picky with scents, what's new. The lotions I use are 100% essential oils, so I'm spoiled.
I decided to try the cream, which didn't absorb, nor does it sit on the skin with a greasy feel...it "coats" the skin. I felt as if my skin was being smothered and washed it off immediately. This got me to wondering what's in these products? So I started to do some research.
The cream has dimethicone in it, which is a silicone cousin. Since ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order they appear, from most to least, there is a fair amount of this in their "natural" cream. That's why it coats. You can google what using this for prolonged periods on your skin does to it.
The soaps...well, they might have started their lives as a natural soap, but then chemicals are added, specifically pentasodium pentatate. This is a chelating agent that binds to metals (in soap,mainly used for hard water- to help the lather). This particular chemical is tested on animals (rabbits, rats). The soaps also have salt in them (huh? probably used in conjunction with the chelating chemical)...and the Vanilla Absolute has titanium dioxide, which can be an irritant (also used in sunscreen formulas, but used in soap to make the color white)
The "Unscented Pure" has a bunch of stuff that makes it technically not even a soap, but a detergent bar...same as drugstore...which I specifically remember one of the "boys" saying their soaps were not. So yeah, it lathers great, but because there is a chemical that helps it do that. Well made, truly natural soap, does not need added chemicals.

My annoyance comes with the fact that these products are touted as "natural"...their schtick with the goats, etc..I'm more annoyed at myself for falling for it and not doing the research prior, but I feel so duped, that I'm bothering to write this, in case anyone else would feel as angry as I do when they receive these products.
I buy a lot of skincare that is not natural, antiaging, etc...so I do understand that to get a product to do XYZ, some things have to be added to make it work that way.
I just really feel duped with this brand, and I'm so annoyed with myself for buying this....

@Quse 

Thank you for posting your review and explaining what some of the ingredients are and what they are supposed to do. It is very informative. I also thought about the TSV but I have to be very careful what I put on my skin so I passed. 

The presentations on some items are so misleading that it is so easy for any of us to fall for the item and buy it on the information that was presented. 

I did that with the First Aid Beauty skin cream TSV because they kept saying it was "natural ingredients". When I got it, it contained a chemical that can cause cancer so I sent it back as "misrepresented" and I was given the full credit for my purchase.

HTH.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all the information and for voicing my feelings in a way that I couldn't.  I was a little skeptical too about the "down-home goodness and purity" shpiel and wondered how the mass production affected the quality.  I like the soaps but was disappointed in the lip balms.  Your information is a good reminder that unfortunately we can't always believe everything we are told.

Valued Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@Quse  You wrote your review on the product page. Drugstore Soap in you review title? Two reviews? There are reviews that say they made their own goat milk soap and love the Beekman goat milk soaps better then their own. Reviewers said they love the smell of the soaps. There are A LOT that love the Beekman goat milk soap and the cream. Maybe you needed to exfoliate to have it absorb into your skin.

As you stated in your review you are sending it back. Just with all products on QVC, not happy, return it. 

I love the soaps and the cream, (absorbed right into my skin) and I LOVED seeing the goats!!!

Respected Contributor

I absolutely LOVE their bar soap.  I have a very sensitive nose to fragrance and don't care for all of them.  The White Water, Fresh Air, Honey Blossom are my favorites.  The soap does not dry out my skin at all.  Just the opposite.  I like using it so much that I use the bar soap on my side of the sink in my Master Bath to wash my hands, in addition to the shower.   I don't use their body cream on a regular basis, but when I have, I thought it was lovely, and it absorbed very quickly.   

I'm not a fan of the "neighbor" shtick either....

Valued Contributor

thanks for info

Trusted Contributor

@Quse  Ugh, thank you?   Wow.   

So much for 'long story, short.'

Valued Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Quse  Ugh, thank you?   Wow.   

So much for 'long story, short.'