Regular Contributor

Would someone please tell me what ingredient in the soap kills bacteria  on the skin? We all have a certain amount of bacteria. They only talk about the natural ingredients. 

Thanking you in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Beekman Soap

[ Edited ]

@Stardust2

from the Beekman website:

“Honey has natural anti-bacterial properties and is an effective treatment for minor wounds and burns.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I was part of a consumer focus group and we studied anti bacterial soap, things like purell, and regular soap.  All kill most bacteria when you wash for 30 seconds.  The problem we discovered with the research team is that anti bacterials like purell also strip the skin and over kill bacteria.  A certain amount of bacteria is actually healthy.

I spoke with my Dr about the findings and he totally agreed.  Any soap kills germs. 

Honored Contributor

Soap is meant to remove dirt and clean the skin.  The combination of fats, salts, and skin conditioners make up soap.  Not all soaps have anti-bacterial properties, and that's actually a good thing.  With too much concern focussed on everything from bathroom soap to household cleaning products being "anti-bacterial", it actually causes bacteria to become stronger.  

Valued Contributor

Even if soap kills some bacteria, its back on the skin by the end of the day or a few hours, reagrdless of thee soap you are using. Soap is a cleanser not a bacteria remover.

Trusted Contributor

I’ve intentionally stopped using antibacterial soaps for the reasons previous posters cited. I believe long term use will cause issues for the individual as well as society in general. Just use soap and lather for as much time it takes to sing happy birthday (learned this in medical classes)

Esteemed Contributor
On my first day working in a medical setting I was taught the majority of surface bacteria is removed by the friction of proper handwashing combined with the flushing action of running water.
I don't use antibacterials, but I DO use a nail brush to clean cuticles and nails.
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Stardust2

from the Beekman website:

“Honey has natural anti-bacterial properties and is an effective treatment for minor wounds and burns.”

@LTT1 @Stardust2 

Beekman soaps don't have honey in them???

The only one that has any honey in it is the Apricot Honey Tea soap.

Ingredients are listed on Evine's site.

Honored Contributor

@Stardust2

@Nightowlz@x Hedge@equss@segrl21@brandiwine

have answered your question.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Beekman Soap

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@Stardust2

@Nightowlz@x Hedge@equss@segrl21@brandiwine

have answered your question.

@LTT1 I know that was an answer to the OP question.

I'm just saying there is no honey in the Beekman soaps except the Apricot Honey Tea bar.