Respected Contributor

I love animals, but I do eat some meat, not a lot, and I eat chicken, eggs, cheese and fish.  I also love handbags and shoes.  I have several leather handbags and pairs of shoes. Honestly, I have thought about becoming a vegetarian, but I guess due to lack of effort, I have never followed through on the thought.  I have struggled with the philosophy of using animals for food and accessories, but I continue to partake.  I don't know-does this make me a bad person?  If the Beekman Boys are bad, I guess I am too.  I am and billions of people around the world like me.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I love animals, but I do eat some meat, not a lot, and I eat chicken, eggs, cheese and fish.  I also love handbags and shoes.  I have several leather handbags and pairs of shoes. Honestly, I have thought about becoming a vegetarian, but I guess due to lack of effort, I have never followed through on the thought.  I have struggled with the philosophy of using animals for food and accessories, but I continue to partake.  I don't know-does this make me a bad person?  If the Beekman Boys are bad, I guess I am too.  I am and billions of people around the world like me.

No, @maximillian , that doesn't make you a bad person in the least.  I also am an animal lover.  We've had to put down several cats over the years and it's never easy.  I already know I'm going to be an absolute wreck when that day comes for our dog.  Even so, I cannot equate animal life and human life.  My POV is that animals were created for our use, be it food, clothing, or muscle.  That doesn't mean we treat them inhumanely, though.  If someone wants to live a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle that's fine.  We are able to make those choices for ourselves.  That doesn't make one way right and every other way wrong. What someone eats or wears is none of my business.  Unfortunately, those of us who like leather and meat aren't always afforded the same liberty.  

Trusted Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@skittles2 

The absolute best and most nourishing soap I've ever used is made by our local beekeeper.  It smells wonderful and not only is it moisturizing, it's very healing.  It's all natural, contains goats milk, honey and shea butter.  It's amazing and at $5.00 a bar, much more affordable.  They also make a body butter that puts Josie's second place for me.  Studier's Honeypot in case you want to check it out.  Made locally in Georgia with no surprise ingredients.  The Orange Blossom honey is delicious.  They transfer their bees to Florida for a while, then bring them home.The Georgia Gallberry Honey is absolutely amazing.  

The Beekman soaps are very drying for me.  I was expecting too much from them apparently.  

I'm giving the body butter, cuticle cream, and soap a try.  Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

Re: Beekman; Josh and Brent

[ Edited ]

I'm unhappy to read that the comments about Josh's Facebook posts were removed, not because they violated any standards, but because Beekman is a current Qurate vendor.  

Valued Contributor

If you eat animals, wear animals, or use anything tested on animals, you really can't have a problem with farmers calling in a professional butcher to kill animals for food.  Some are saying that they could never eat an animal that they'd named.  Really?!  So not naming an animal, not showing it any love or compassion, is giving it a quality life?  I'd rather know that an animal had felt love and affection during its life before it was butchered than to think that it lived an empty existence.  I'm vegan because I DO think about these things and can't stand the thought.  Others can do as they wish but at least think it through.  Do I think being vegan is better?  Yes, just like everyone lives by morals and ethics they think are better than the alternatives.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@skittles2 

The absolute best and most nourishing soap I've ever used is made by our local beekeeper.  It smells wonderful and not only is it moisturizing, it's very healing.  It's all natural, contains goats milk, honey and shea butter.  It's amazing and at $5.00 a bar, much more affordable.  They also make a body butter that puts Josie's second place for me.  Studier's Honeypot in case you want to check it out.  Made locally in Georgia with no surprise ingredients.  The Orange Blossom honey is delicious.  They transfer their bees to Florida for a while, then bring them home.The Georgia Gallberry Honey is absolutely amazing.  

The Beekman soaps are very drying for me.  I was expecting too much from them apparently.  

@Georgiagrama 

Thank you for the info abut Studier's

Honeypot products.Will definitely check

them out later today!

Another excellent company that is

100% cruelty free and never uses

any animal by products is Shea Terra

Organics.They are 100% cruelty free,

certified organic,and use no artificial

ingredients.I've been using their products

for years and love them! Check them out!

In regards to the Beekman products

I discovered them last fall when they

were on HSN and ordered their

triple milk formula facial milk cleansing

bars as well as their shampoo bars

in the honeyed grapefruit scent

(also use on my face and neck).

I have never had any adverse

reactions or problems with either

of these products and will continue

to use them.

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Contributor

WOW, I have heard it all.   That the Beekman Boys ate meat from animals they raised for food.

I do believe that is what farmers do, raise animals for food.   You do not have to like the Beekman Boys for your choice, but I think that they are doing what farmers of animals do.

These blogs about the Beekman Boys and what they do was the icing on the cake for ignorance.

Rock On Beekman and continue to spread kindness to all your neighbors.   Love you guys and enjoy every meal you eat.

Honored Contributor

@bdoby wrote:

WOW, I have heard it all.   That the Beekman Boys ate meat from animals they raised for food.

I do believe that is what farmers do, raise animals for food.   You do not have to like the Beekman Boys for your choice, but I think that they are doing what farmers of animals do.

These blogs about the Beekman Boys and what they do was the icing on the cake for ignorance.

Rock On Beekman and continue to spread kindness to all your neighbors.   Love you guys and enjoy every meal you eat.

@bdoby- Kudos for some common sense.  The OP's argument against buying the goat milk products is nonsensical, but I suspect was meant to sway anyone from buying their products.

People want to remain blind to what happens in food production, while they eat meat and buy animal by-products.  Sorry - welcome to the real world.

Honored Contributor

@bdoby wrote:

They raise goats on their farm now, not pigs. You say that farmers raise animals for food. You realize you are also implying the Beekmans eat the goats and/or sell their leather?  And that is completely against their goat milk brand.

Regarding eating meat, I really dislike the "hypocrite" argument some people make. "You're a vegetarian who wears a leather belt - therefore I dismiss you as a hypocrite."

Any bit of action towards living your ideals, about animal welfare or any other subject, is good. No one does that perfectly or completely.

People who insist on perfection in others or doing nothing--are really on the side of doing nothing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@bdoby wrote:

They raise goats on their farm now, not pigs. You say that farmers raise animals for food. You realize you are also implying the Beekmans eat the goats and/or sell their leather?  And that is completely against their goat milk brand.

Regarding eating meat, I really dislike the "hypocrite" argument some people make. "You're a vegetarian who wears a leather belt - therefore I dismiss you as a hypocrite."

Any bit of action towards living your ideals, about animal welfare or any other subject, is good. No one does that perfectly or completely.

People who insist on perfection in others or doing nothing--are really on the side of doing nothing.

@Porcelain, well said. I see this all the time regarding the environment as well. If a person doesn't live off the grid and make absolutely no footprint, then apparently they shouldn't voice ANY concerns.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland